Aeronavics / Droidworx Upgrading AD6 Ver 1 to all the new goodies.

What are my options for upgrading the ver1 frame to all the new goodies. Quick release with the new isolation, etc. Might have an opportunity to get one. Any help and advice from all would be welcome. Thx.

ZAxis

We've just started down this route. We went for all new undercarriage so out has gone the original landing legs and in has gone easily detachable landing leg assembly and vibration isolated gimbal mounting gear. We're in the middle of getting it all attached to the original AD3HX body, so far it has been pretty straight forward with all necessary mounting holes accessible without major disassembly of the electronics or such. What is taking longer is wiring up the new legs to take all the gear that's hung on them. Losing the horizontal gear rails on either sides of the old legs means rethinking how to attach equipment on the much narrower new legs. The thin bracing plate between the front and rear legs gives plenty of surfaces to stick things to, mostly velcro. You are forced to use dual, parallel battery packs, one on each side but thats no bad thing. The horizontal leg assemblies clip to the end of the legs with a good firm gripping clip. It's going to be interesting to see what happens in a heavy landing, will the legs unclip and allow the craft to topple forwards/backwards with prop impact on the ground guaranteed. Might zip tie them on. Looks like breaking down the whole craft for transport seems pretty easy and straight forward.
It's not a cheap upgrade but does make an older ( one year old !!!) craft look even more of the business. Biggest gains, hopefully are the improved vibration isolation and ease of breakdown.
I'd say it worth going for.

andy

That's encouraging news. My concerns were would I need to drill. And how hard would it be to go from a 2axs gimbal to a 3/360 gimbal. As much as we hate to admit it, we all have our "hard" landings, and I also was concerned about the horizontal legs coming off if that happened. Thanks for the great breakdown. Josh

ZAxis

Josh ...

We've an AV130 2 axis gimbal fitted to our AD3. On the new vibration isolated mount it has to be screwed on rather than use the existing grommet holes of the AV130 so the gimbal is hard mounted to the new Droidworx gimbal plate. This plate appears to have holes to suit a 360 mount.

Full instructions for fitting the upgrade is in the latest VM build manual ------ http://droidworx.co.nz/assets/VM_Build-Manual-08.pdf

andy

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Andy you gone for standard height landing gear or extended.

Would like to see some pics.

Dave

SMP

I wonder if you could lose two of the arms (add two motors) and do an XM Coax 8... Small footprint, more lift, really wide view out the front. Question is... would it fly???

ZAxis

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 322
  • Disassembled.jpg
    Disassembled.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 239
  • Gimbal.jpg
    Gimbal.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 213
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 241
  • Underside.jpg
    Underside.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 207

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Andy could you measure from ground to top of dome please.

I am reconfiguring my van and this would help me set up shelve height.

Dave

jappie911

Hi,

When I want to stay with a single battery setup, seeing the pictures now, I think I can still upgrade ? my AD-6?

Don't need the quick release.
I think about the new isolation, and maybe landing gear.

Because the Gimbal still hangs on the same kind of rails, I can move it for using a single battery hanging in front of it on the rails?

Or am I wrong?

ZAxis

Hi,

When I want to stay with a single battery setup, seeing the pictures now, I think I can still upgrade ? my AD-6?

Don't need the quick release.
I think about the new isolation, and maybe landing gear.

Because the Gimbal still hangs on the same kind of rails, I can move it for using a single battery hanging in front of it on the rails?

Or am I wrong?

You can hang the battery on the gimbal mount but it will be on the camera side of the anti-vibration mounts. You will have to careful not to compromise the isolation with the battery cables,etc. If you have a separate gimbal battery, its an excellent place to mount it.
The quick release is part of the upgrade kit and is the only way the new legs attach themselves. Droidworx do recommend using 2 lock bolts to prevent accidental quick releasing of the legs. You cannot mix old landing gear with the new isolation mounts.

andy

ZAxis

Hi Dave
The height from ground to top of dome is 500 mm, a little bit taller than with the old legs.
Still having fun wiring all the hanging on bits up so not back in the air yet.

andy
Andy could you measure from ground to top of dome please.

I am reconfiguring my van and this would help me set up shelve height.

Dave

SMP

Hi ZAxis,

Nice upgrade! Am converting our AD6 to Coax X8 and trying to find a Gimbal Quick Release solution. We have the AV200/360. Looks like if you have to use their legs, and the legs hardmount to the quick release tabs and the tabs slide into a hard mount to lower frame, then no more Pan axis yes?

Does anyone know if they make an AD retracts retrofit?

SMP,

Its easier than it sounds. The new retracts mount to the main frame using an adaptor plate that acts as a small spacer creating room for wires, etc and keeping them isolated from the gimbal quick release. The new quick release iso for the gimbal mounts directly to the main frame, separate and isolated from the retracts. This allows you to break down the bird to a much more manageable size than in the past, at least the lower portion.

So now, the main part of the retracts stay mounted to your frame, with the legs coming off only leaving the small tabs behind. The new gimbal isolation allows you to remove the gimbal as well, again only leaving a small part behind on the main frame. Remember they are separate from each other.

Assuming you do have the new retracts, you have the option of using a 360 head of any flavor, just make sure the retracts are long enough to accommodate it. Mine, the longest they have currently, had to be extended to allow room for the Photoship One 3X Pro gimbal. There are rumors DW might release a set of legs longer to satisfy those of us with the need for more room. I also now mount the dual batts on plates that are attached to the booms.

My old rig had the Photo Higher retracts/dual batt mounts, as well as the 3X Pro gimbal all being supported by the DW quick release iso mount. Made for a large lower half of the bird and put all the weight of the lower half on the rubber iso mounts. It also required a large case to pack and transport. Its much nicer now. Hope that paints a somewhat clearer picture for you.

-Josh