Welcome To DroneVibes

DroneVibes is a COMMUNITY of drones enthusiasts. We are experts at drones for all professional and consumer applications. We welcome you to register and join the conversation.

Understanding Lithium Polymer batteries

Discussion in 'Beginners Drone Forum' started by Bartman, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Kratos

Kratos Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Posted by Kratos, Jan 16, 2015 #161
    I mean to plug in batery and charge, go fly, come back put to charge again... dont think about 20-80% and other stuff, just like phone... also dont think about military boxes and fire stuff...

2. Motopreserve

Motopreserve Drone Enthusiast

Nov 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posted by Motopreserve, Jan 16, 2015 #162
    No. They don't exist for these craft. I don't believe that other types of battery technology have enough "oomph" to handle to load.

But try to think of your attention to these matters as a commitment to safety instead of a hassle :)

3. Kratos

Kratos Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Posted by Kratos, Jan 16, 2015 #163
    You have batteries in cars, and you dont think about them like these in multirotor... anyway batery tehnology is at low level today, maybe in couple years they will invent something better, till then lipo :(

4. eskil23

eskil23 Wikipedia Photographer

Dec 10, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posted by eskil23, Jan 16, 2015 #164
    Well, actually you do have to take care of you car battery too. Just not as carefully as a LiPo. The thing with LiPos are the capacity to weight ratio. You won't find any other battery that can give you more than 10 mAh per gram.

5. Kratos

Kratos Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Posted by Kratos, Jan 16, 2015 #165
    so that is the point of LiPo :D Is there batteries that are little hevier but have same output? So there is no other than LiPo for multirotor?

6. Motopreserve

Nov 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posted by Motopreserve, Jan 16, 2015 #166
    I also keep an eye on my car battery - especially this season when it regularly gets below zero (f). But that neither here nor there....

You are obviously welcome to try other battery technologies on these rigs. For me, I took everyone else's trials and errors and went with their conclusions. Personally, I think about like this: I have a lot of time, energy and money in the air. I'm ok with keeping track and caring for the batteries if they will help me protect that investment.

7. Bartman

Bartman Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

Jan 5, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    Posted by Bartman, Jan 16, 2015 #167
    the tendency for LiPo's to catch fire comes from the early days before everyone was using balance chargers. most of the fires we hear about today are being caused by abused batteries with high internal resistance values or damaged batteries

you still need to be very safety conscious and practice safe charging habits but the risk of fires is reduced if you are using a good quality balance charger.

8. Kratos

Kratos Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Posted by Kratos, Jan 16, 2015 #168
    I live in appartmen, first I will buy box (fire ressistant) then I will buy batteries :D

9. AH-1G

AH-1G Rob

Posted by AH-1G, Feb 15, 2015 #169
    Question. I'm preparing to build a hex that will run on a 6S battery. The telemetry hardware is 12v (ie 3S). Is there some type power regulator I need to have? Like wise for 4S lights?

10. Motopreserve

Nov 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posted by Motopreserve, Feb 15, 2015 #170
    You can get an adjustable BUCK converter that will allow you to step the voltage down. You just need to solder in/out and measure the output with a multimeter.

There are also fancy PDB that have several outputs at various vintages built right into them. If you're in the designing stage - that might be a neater option.

11. Motopreserve

Nov 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posted by Motopreserve, Feb 15, 2015 #172
    As long as you can solder those up in a way that works (looks like they're for PCBs???) and the amperage is sufficebt for the gear you're trying to run - I guess that would work.

12. Crisp image

Crisp image Member

Nov 11, 2013
    SE Victoria Australia
    Posted by Crisp image, Mar 17, 2015 #173
    I have a couple of packs that have gone a bit puffy. Not sure why they are about 18 months old. I used one on the weekend and nearly crashed at the end of the flight. Fully charged and I had used 2750 mah from a 5000 mah pack. I have never gone past 4000 ma and most of the time 3500.
    Are my packs about to die? First ones I have had do that.
    Regards
    Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

13. stevemaller

stevemaller Heavy Lifter

Oct 19, 2012
    Half Moon Bay, CA
    Posted by stevemaller, Mar 17, 2015 #174
    I think you answered your own question. Not "about to die", but "dead". It's exhibiting all the warning signs. And I'd be very, very careful about even storing the battery at this point. I have a battery discharger that I use for any battery that's even 1/2 as sick as yours. Take it slowly down to a ZERO charge, then dispose of it.

As to why this happened, remember that these things are very complex devices with very touchy chemistry. Even if you buy the very best quality batteries, there's always a chance that some impurity or other issue with the chemistry will degrade over time, even with proper charging practices.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of battery is this?

14. Motopreserve

Nov 23, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posted by Motopreserve, Mar 17, 2015 #175
    Agreed. Best to play it safe and not risk more damage.

There is a method for discharging them completely involving salt water I think. You'd have to google it, I don't recall the particulars.

15. Crisp image

Crisp image Member

Nov 11, 2013
    SE Victoria Australia
    Posted by Crisp image, Mar 17, 2015 #176
    They are Turngy nanotech 5000mah s4 packs.

16. stevemaller

stevemaller Heavy Lifter

Oct 19, 2012
    Half Moon Bay, CA
    Posted by stevemaller, Mar 18, 2015 #177
    Salt water method is perilous, and I don't recommend it.
    Watch this.

17. B-Scene Films

B-Scene Films Member

Aug 23, 2015
    los Angeles
    Posted by B-Scene Films, Aug 28, 2015 #178
    Why are LiPo batteries used at all? Do they provide a power solution that is specifically beneficial to RC devices?

18. PeterLester

PeterLester Member

Posted by PeterLester, Aug 28, 2015 #179
    RC pilots need the best available batteries that are not only cost effective by means of recharging capability but the highest energy density that is possible to obtain. At this point in time Lithium Polymer batteries are the best fit-for-purpose batteries available on the market today for RC and some other businesses.

ENERGY DENSITY:
    Typical energy density is defined as either the amount of electrical energy per unit volume or electrical energy per unit weight. While both are important it is the weight of the batteries that is most critical for VTOL type aircraft such as helicopters and multirotors.

While it may be possible NOW to achieve much higher energy density batteries they would likely be very dangerous due to the use of toxic, unstable or radioactive ingredients etc. or might be of value for making explosives etc. and would not be allowed for public use.

FUTURE: One of the major benefits of fuel cells, i.e., batteries that use hydrogen is that one of the two battery reactants, i.e., is obtained from ambient air while the other, i.e., hydrogen has the highest energy density per unit weight of any reactant available today. But to achieve the highest energy density per unit volume, the hydrogen has to be highly compressed. That is possible now using low weight carbon fiber canisters. Keep in mind that the Multirotor motor and prop sizes must be large so as to reach the sweet spot for using a complete fuel cell system as the extra canisters etc. take up space and weight as well.

2 people like this.
  19. Posted by Roger Ramjet, Aug 28, 2015 #180

Very interesting video of the world record multirotor flight of 3+ hours in Montreal, Quebec. This took place March 16, 2015.

2 people like this.