Time for a new copter.... But which one?

blades

Looking for some advice please guys.... I started with a phantom and after about a year I moved up to a DJI550, using it with a GoPro.

i would like to get my remote pilot qualification with UAS Resource and want to book my training with them.

I'd to move up camera wise to something along the lines of a Panasonic GH3 or GH4 or perhaps the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera. Taking this into account I'd be grateful for your thoughts and opinions on what my next copter could be? I do like Droidworx but have no experience of them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :dejection:

Bowley

Hi David, X8 I reckon, I believe Droidworx are selling off their old ADX-4's cheap at the moment, should be ample for a GH4 and BLG, if your looking at GH4 should have a peak at the Lumix FZ1000
Great to hear your going for RPQ, I gather Resource are opening a division in Edinburgh.

blades

Hey Steve

yeah I'll be doing my ground school in Edinburgh :)

thanks for for the info... Good to hear from you!

Hi David, X8 I reckon, I believe Droidworx are selling off their old ADX-4's cheap at the moment, should be ample for a GH4 and BLG, if your looking at GH4 should have a peak at the Lumix FZ1000
Great to hear your going for RPQ, I gather Resource are opening a division in Edinburgh.

I bought the Cinestar Octocopter frame at a great price here: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/H001...pter-frame-kit-without-motors/1013825004.html

While it does not fold up for transportation I remain very impressed with the quality and design that went in to it.
I especially like the well thought out anti-vibration system and the three legged (non-retractable) landing gear which simply rotates with the camera to remain out of the FOV etc.
I am not in favor of retracts due to the added complexity and weight although they do add sex appeal.

Here is the add-on kit for the camera landing gear: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/MV016-Z2-3axis-Tilt-Motor-Cage-adapter/109347_965185217.html

atpfilms

Looking for some advice please guys.... I started with a phantom and after about a year I moved up to a DJI550, using it with a GoPro.

i would like to get my remote pilot qualification with UAS Resource and want to book my training with them.

I'd to move up camera wise to something along the lines of a Panasonic GH3 or GH4 or perhaps the Black Magic Pocket Cinema Camera. Taking this into account I'd be grateful for your thoughts and opinions on what my next copter could be? I do like Droidworx but have no experience of them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :dejection:

I'm building a machine to lift a GH4 and decided to go with the Tarot 810 frame and a SuperX FC.

I like the Tarot for a few reasons - Its got a quick release folding design on the booms and its only 810mm. I like a compact machine. Its less obtrusive. Good price. Well built.

kloner

Aerial DP
IMO 800 is a tad small to lift a gh3-4 unless your going like zen and a small lens,,,, as soon as you put a real lens and a gimbal that can fly it you want something more like 900-1000mm wide, handles wind better, flys smooth, allows for bigger props and lower kv's as the industry evolves to allow longer flights, etc.

atpfilms

IMO 800 is a tad small to lift a gh3-4 unless your going like zen and a small lens,,,, as soon as you put a real lens and a gimbal that can fly it you want something more like 900-1000mm wide, handles wind better, flys smooth, allows for bigger props and lower kv's as the industry evolves to allow longer flights, etc.

Yah, I hear ya. I wanted to try a smaller frame in the interest of being compact. Still going with low kv motors and can go up to 15" props with that frame. I have the 14-42 $300 lens with OIS currently which is pretty light. Maybe when I can afford better glass for the GH4, I'll want to upgrade.

I also have a t810 with plans to carry a GH4, for now I am just using a nex-5t but when I move up to the GH4 I was going to run KDE's triple prop adapter and run 3 bladed 15x5 for some extra headroom. Current AUW with 16000mah 6s is 7156g and thrust is right around 14000g and KDE shows a 20% increase in thrust when using the dji carbon fiber folding blades. I decied to go this route because i wanted something as compact.

Old Man

If you're willing to build your own take a look at the frames on the Vulcan UAV site. The Cinestar frame is another good candidate but if the electrics are done like a stock Cinestar things get pretty crowded and difficult to service. The rotating landing gear are very nice but convert them to brushless as fast as you can. Finding Radiians when one goes south can be difficult and the set up of one is not fun.