Tiger Motors 4014 330kv or 400kv - which would you chose.

Hi,

I have a CarbonCore hexa with the 4014 400 kV motors with Maytech 40A opto ESC and AUW of just over 7kg. I'm using 15" CF props and my motors actually run a little hotter than I expected. I get temps of around 50 - 65 degrees after an 8min flight so I'm thinking that I would probably get the 330 kV motors if I had to choose again because the 15" props maybe a tad too big for this RPM - or what do you guys think ?

Cheers

Bruno28

which one should i go for?

MN 4014 330kv
MN 4014 400kv
MN 4012 340kv
MN 4012 400kv
MN 4010 370kv

For a X8 config custom build rig, running 15x5 props, 40Amps esc, 6s 5000mah (parallel), will be carrying a DSLR.

Last edited by a moderator:

RC Rotors

i have used both and been testing these motors for some time now (4014) the 330 kv is more efficient and will only work well with the t-motor esc total thrust per motor is around 5lbs not sure why but 330kv did not go well with the simonk esc's trust with simonk was a little over 4lbs. the 400 kv will run on tiger or simonk esc and will give you more thrust at 5.8lbs per motor but not as efficient as the 330 kv. it will all depend on the total final weight. also with the x and y config you loose about 25% of your thrust.

ary

Im using TMotor 4014 340kv with TMotor prop 17X5.8 v2. Esc DYS 40A simonk V2. My X8 15.2-15.5(6.9 kg-7 kg) lbs with 5D+small fix lens & 2X 5500mah 6s 35C. I got easy 12 min or more in slow flight. Full speed flight 8 min. Landing every 12.6v
just survived 3 days assignment(6-8 flight per day), mostly in high winds condition. very stable, no wobble during decending. Just make sure you are using rigid frame & always check your motor bearing.
less wobble frame & prop = more stable RPM + more flight time.

picture shown are test flight after replacing motor bearing.

Anyone can suggest link to get radial silicon bearing?

Ary

Attachments

• DSC00007.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 785
  • DSC00010.jpg
    DSC00010.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 589
  • DSC00012.jpg
    DSC00012.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 365

Bruno28

Im using TMotor 4014 340kv with TMotor prop 17X5.8 v2. Esc DYS 40A simonk V2. My X8 15.2-15.5(6.9 kg-7 kg) lbs with 5D+small fix lens & 2X 5500mah 6s 35C. I got easy 12 min or more in slow flight. Full speed flight 8 min. Landing every 12.6v
just survived 3 days assignment(6-8 flight per day), mostly in high winds condition. very stable, no wobble during decending. Just make sure you are using rigid frame & always check your motor bearing.
less wobble frame & prop = more stable RPM + more flight time.

picture shown are test flight after replacing motor bearing.

Anyone can suggest link to get radial silicon bearing?

Ary
Why do you need to replace motor bearings? Arent the tmotor bullet proof?
And the DYS 40A simonk V2 are a good combination with this motor? they are very low price compared to other esc, but i like the price. Dont want to spend $40 or more per esc.

ary

Nope..
my octo just survived from 3 days rough assigment, mostly in high wind situation. I have to flight full speed forward as DOP/client request

ary

DYS 40A simonk V2 are a good combination with 330kv motor. I also use on my large hexa with 3515 kv 400, no problem

carlert

Hi, i have T-motor 2814-11 710kv and running it with 4s on my Cinestar 6. But in planning to switch the motors to like T-motors 4014 400kv. I saw that this motors can use 4-8S battery. Should i switch to 6s or can i stay with 4s?

Ironically, I looked at all the t-motor MN4xxx motors (being somewhat of a tmotor loyalist), but found that there was a "max watts" limit to them (300-ish watts), when used on a quad. The MT3515's were perfect (900watts), but very heavy.

So I went with the best of both worlds - Sunnysky x4112s. Not as light as the MN, but not as heavy as the MT, and no "watt limit" from the MN's. But are still the more modern 24P-style motors. Supposedly tmotor rebrands, they do seem good quality, even if I can't find what they're re-brands of. Flying a 4.7kg quad, on 6S and 15" props, and - with easy flight, admittedly - they barely get warm.

RC Rotors

Why do you need to replace motor bearings? Arent the tmotor bullet proof?

We did a heavy lift octo rig for one of our clients and with the MN4014-400 kv, the take off weight is 29lbs. red, follow focus, 3 axis gimbal. they have done over 500 flights and at least 350 of those were all over water 250 or so was over the ocean in salty conditions ( oakley pro bali ) and not to mention boat chases also. bearings are still good.

View attachment 14133

Attachments

• red1.jpg
    red1.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 306

jhardway

Looking at the two different motor of the 4014 and 4012 options I would look at it this way, weight and horse power, if you are going to have a fairly light medium weight otco, then I would go with the 4012 if you think there is going to be a lot of weight, like 16lbs take off weight I would think about going up to the 4014, there you can get some more horse power out of it, bigger motor, more power.

When it comes to the KV, that kinda can be looked at like whats under the hood, so you have 4014, you can translate that to something like an 8 cylender motor, you know it has power but with the 400kv you will get great performance with speed of rotation but to relate a little more if you took a covette and hooked it up to a very large trailer with a lot of weight, then there are probably better motors to do the job like a big dodge ram truck - 330kv, it will offer less speed, less heat, and more toque.

So when you look at the KV that is the amount of revolution per volt you will get out of the motor. Here's a good example how this all works, I picked this off the web at - http://www.brushlessrcmotor.com/brushless-motor-ratings/

Kv actually refers to the RPM of the motor per volt “without a load

Example #1:
A 2500 Kv motor and a 2S Li-Po battery at 7.4 volts (2500 x 7.4) = 18,500 RPMs the same Kv motor on a 3S Li-Po battery at 11.1 volts (2500 x 11.1) = 27,750 RPMs
Example #2:
A 4800 Kv motor and a 2SLi-Po battery at 7.4 volts (4800 x 7.4) = 35,520 RPMs
the same Kv motor on a 3S Li-Po battery at 11.1 volts (4800 x 11.1) = 53,280 RPMs

To continue the lower the kv the more efficient with volts and heat, if you want something fast with less touque then you want the higher KV, in turn if you want something slower with more tourque then you want the lower kv, that is why as you start bringing down the KV you can start putting bigger props with more mass on the motors. So as you see there are some copters coming out where people are throwing 16 and 17 inch props on them. One of the way they are doing this, if you notice the motor sizes they are staring to get up to the 50xx and 60xx range.

When you start looking at the curcuferense of the motors not you can turn a lot more weight because of the horse power that comes with the size.

Sorry for the tangent I can keep going, at the end of the day I would say what you are doing here starts with weight, and what you are expecting to do with the copter, like more stability, high winds or very fast aggressive flying, or fast gopro-ish themed like flying then you would be looking at higher kv, however with that said you may loose some thrust options because the effecientcy that goes along with props as you go up in size and weight . If its a heavy production copter you are looking for with a heavier type camera, smoother slower fluent movements then you probably will start looking towards lower KV.

jhardway

Bearings, I am in the midst of thinking the 3515 mt series bearings may not be the right fit for the motor. I have a hex I made and purchase 6 motors for. Since the original purchase less then a year ago and not a ton of flying time. I have had take three of the motor out of service mainly because the bearings are showing some horizontal play (left right play on the shaft).

I have purchased a few 3515's other motors to replace the ones I have taken off, but I am now seeing some of the same characteristics on one of those motors. I talked with the rep and he feels the same where the bearings may not be the right fit for those motor especially as you start mount some of the larger prop sizes. I am now in the midst of changing the bearing to a boca and see where that leaves me.

Also, though the majority of the motors on the copter are in very good shape, currently I am replacing the set with the 4012 330 kv, like I have on my Octo. The MN series and those motors have been working very nice, and they broke in consistently at the same time. So I am actually looking forward to see the difference on the same platform.

I am mostly interesting in performance and heat results on the copter.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Bearings, I am in the midst of thinking the 3515 mt series bearings may not be the right fit for the motor. I have a hex I made and purchase 6 motors for. Since the original purchase less then a year ago and not a ton of flying time. I have had take three of the motor out of service mainly because the bearings are showing some horizontal play (left right play on the shaft).

I have purchased a few 3515's other motors to replace the ones I have taken off, but I am now seeing some of the same characteristics on one of those motors. I talked with the rep and he feels the same where the bearings may not be the right fit for those motor especially as you start mount some of the larger prop sizes. I am now in the midst of changing the bearing to a boca and see where that leaves me.

Also, though the majority of the motors on the copter are in very good shape, currently I am replacing the set with the 4012 330 kv, like I have on my Octo. The MN series and those motors have been working very nice, and they broke in consistently at the same time. So I am actually looking forward to see the difference on the same platform.

I am mostly interesting in performance and heat results on the copter.

Would be interested in hearing what motors you put on your hex. All up weight, props, battery and flight time for slow flying.....

gurudutt

We did a heavy lift octo rig for one of our clients and with the MN4014-400 kv, the take off weight is 29lbs. red, follow focus, 3 axis gimbal. they have done over 500 flights and at least 350 of those were all over water 250 or so was over the ocean in salty conditions ( oakley pro bali ) and not to mention boat chases also. bearings are still good. View attachment 17801
What props were used ?