Tiger Motors 4014 330kv or 400kv - which would you chose.

jhardway

Hey Guys

I am in the middle of putting together a build for an Octo and as I am trying to figure out what motors to use I am questioning which direction to go between the two. I am interested in hearing any opinions out here between the 4014 330kv and 400kv.

I understand the different of the KV but I guess my dilemma is not knowing what to expect in performance of the two.

If you have any info that could help me with the decision please check in I value any help. Also if any information with ESC to do also would help, I am thinking of the Maytech 45 opto, not sure if that is over kill?? or good saftey

thanks Jack

Danub

The biggest questions I would have to make the choice are?
What size battery? (i would think 6s, but who knows maybe you want 8s)
What is the expected all-up weight of the octo and what size props do you want to run?
If you are going to go 6s and i would lean towards 400kv.
I had the same dilema and e-mailed t-motor about more "specs" but got no response. . . I think they are waiting for user feedback.

I just thought about this and with the 4012's and am leaning towards 6S 480kv so as to have a smaller prop with higher disk loading, hoping for smoother flight.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Make sure the appropriate prop will fit as well. Those tips could be touching on a normal octo. A good reason to go with an x8. 400kv would be spinning some large props, like 15".

jhardway

ya thanks guys, I am looking at a octo 1000mm range with a 6s battery, and either 14in or 15in props. I think like the thought of the faster spinning props, just for stability, I have an hexa with the 3515 motors and it doing pretty nice. They are nice motors and have been doing great, I just like to change it up with a motor with a bigger bearing

rsun

Just made A test on a cs8 with the kw9 from Kopterworx. (330kv)

It did wight 7 kg and used 6S with oxar 14"/5.

It gave me about 13 min on 10amp.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Jack,

Are those the MN motors? 4014 is a really big motor, probably good for a 24 pound heli in an Okto config. I've got some of the MN4012 here but haven't used them on anything as I've got a max design hover with the MT4008-18 of 22 pounds.

How big do you really need to go? There's no sense in carrying around an extra pound or more of motors if something lighter/smaller/cheaper will do.

Bart

jhardway

Thanks all again, rsun what mha's were you using on your battery. On my hexa with 3515's 14" APC props at 4300g's and a 5000(6s) I am getting 11min safe flight time, and have pushed it to 12.5 min, I would not do that again, it drew 4350mha for charge.

Bart I hear you, I am just looking at the power of the motors coming out, while trying to stay efficient. My plans are to make a cs8 type of copter, mainly for production purposes, so if the a client comes to me asking to put a certain type of camera on the rig (d800, d5, epic) then I could do it. I know at the end of the day the most these camera will weigh out at 7 - 8lbs and that's on the heaviest side.

When I am looking at the total thrust off the specs of the 4014, it comes out a 2000g of thrust at 85% x 8 equal 16000g, or something like 34lbs, so if my max weight tops out, with double batteries, etc. I am looking at 48% max thrust for liftoff (17lbs). In most cases I will be more at 38-40%. I guess its like "it goes up to 11"

Now my question goes back to where do people like to be at % wise, for copter lift off? I guess I am good with 50 - 65%, and in this case of what I am thinking, its way over powered were I need to be.
When this is all said and done I guess this is more like a project for me, and when I get done I will either keep it or sell it off, I just want to document it as I do the build.

I do value all of everyone input, I know there is so much knowledge on the forum that can help.

So to ask again what do people like as a liftoff to thrust ratio?? its a good question something I have no clue on.

Fly safe all, cheers

PaNt

Can you tell me the main difference between 4014 and 3515 apart from numbers like watt and thrust???

Bartman

Thanks all again, ..............Fly safe all, cheers

Jack,

On the other side of the coin, if you never fly an 8 pound camera you will have carried a lot of weight in a set up that was too heavy and inefficient most of the time it was used. Just something to think about.

Bart

jhardway

Ya I have to admit Bart you have talked me off the 4014 ledge, I spent a lot of time doing the number last night, I figure in some case at liftoff I will be at something like 30% thrust power. That is crazy, however with that said I am thinking of the 4012 instead, on this series at worst case scenario in the heaviest lift situation, I will be at 65% and if I lose a motor, then the other two motors in the area will be able to keep flying going up to around 88% thrust.

I know its still over kill but here I lost some weight and I will have more demand on the props, hopefully adding more stability. I would look at the 4010 motors but there is not specs for them in the 6s range, and what they list at the 5s is still very doable but on the lose motor area Its getting close.

I am also on this kick for trying the low KV Navigator series, For what I know the bearing is much bigger and supposedly more durable then the MT series.

I guess going from 4014 to 4012 is not much but it something ??

Thanks all

Jack,

On the other side of the coin, if you never fly an 8 pound camera you will have carried a lot of weight in a set up that was too heavy and inefficient most of the time it was used. Just something to think about.

Bart

Bartman

Look at the numbers on the MT4008-18 vs the MN4012 (400kv), the 4008-18 wins hands down in its ability to operate very efficiently at about 800 kg of thrust while also having the ability to make higher amounts when needed. The bearing tool I make reduces the time to swap bearings to almost nothing. I"m flying the 4008-18 motors at the moment and they're doing fine so far. the MN4012 is nice too but the weight of larger motors kills the plan when I factor in that I'm at about 14 pounds flying weight the majority of the time.

Bart

il_capo

Hey Guys

I am in the middle of putting together a build for an Octo and as I am trying to figure out what motors to use I am questioning which direction to go between the two. I am interested in hearing any opinions out here between the 4014 330kv and 400kv.

I understand the different of the KV but I guess my dilemma is not knowing what to expect in performance of the two.

If you have any info that could help me with the decision please check in I value any help. Also if any information with ESC to do also would help, I am thinking of the Maytech 45 opto, not sure if that is over kill?? or good saftey

thanks Jack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejA1xPvcJXE :black_eyed:

4014 mt 400kv test

Bartman

ya thanks guys, I am looking at a octo 1000mm range with a 6s battery, and either 14in or 15in props. I think like the thought of the faster spinning props, just for stability, I have an hexa with the 3515 motors and it doing pretty nice. They are nice motors and have been doing great, I just like to change it up with a motor with a bigger bearing

Jack,

If you're going to be using 6S packs then I'd go with the 400 kv motors.

mark.bryant61

Allround Heli Pilot
I've got the Tiger MT3515/15 400kv on a Vulcan Quad 900mm. 14x4.7 props. With the Quad depending on my load (about 3kg at moment) , I'm getting 17 to 20 minutes flight time on the quad with 1 6s 5800mah battery.
More than happy! Motors are barely warm, same for the esc's which are Maytech Eagle 40amp opto's.

Skysurf

I recently switched to the 4014 400kv motors on my okto, and so far I am very pleased. AUW is around 9kg and flight time is about 9 minutes. Using the t-motors 14x5 prop.

/Jesper

Interesting thread this. I'm looking at 400kv with 6s as well, but ecalc has the best flight and hover times with the 4012-11 400kv's and 15" props. This was for a heavy quad, admittedly.

Bartman

Interesting thread this. I'm looking at 400kv with 6s as well, but ecalc has the best flight and hover times with the 4012-11 400kv's and 15" props. This was for a heavy quad, admittedly.

I'm midway through a build with the MN4012-11 (400kv) motors. There's room on the frame for up to 16" props although I'll probably use 14" Xoar most of the time until the need to go heavier presents itself.

I have to say, another eight motor XY8 that I'm flying with MT4008-18 motors (380 KV) has been flawless with 6S power at 14 pounds flying weight. FLight times are in the 15 minute range with two 6S, 6000mah packs, also haven't had any issues with the bearings like I saw with the MT2814 motors.

it seems you can only do so much with ecalc before you have to just build something and see how it does.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have been looking into getting the 400 or 380kv x 8 motors with 6s batteries. I'm now flying Avroto's 2814-11's x8 and find 40c is pretty good for 12 lbs total flying weight. Would like to get into the mid teens flying time instead of the 8 min mark....

I'm currently flying turnigy's and gensace 4s 5000 mha packs and the genace, although are a little heavier out perform, don't heat up as much, and fly longer than the turnigy's..... The Gensace hard packs seem to have a truer C rating....

Going to 6s in the 12-14 lbs category with 380kv or 400kv motors, what seems to be a good C rating for the batteries.

ary

I got 16 min. (On telemetri still 21.5v before landing) with my X8(5.25 kg).
WKM, T-Motor 4014 330 kv, 14.47 wood(thin E), 2 Pulse 5500mah 45C
Very stable in highwinds

Ary

Attachments

• 6.2 kg Octocopter.jpg
    6.2 kg Octocopter.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 449