Things They Do Not Tell You

TO ANYONE INTERESTED IN THIS THREAD ! My computer died this morning. I am writing this using my wife's computer. We are on the same Home Network, so I think that I can still communicate, but I have limited access.
ChrisMohrSr.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

Hi Chris

As long as you can let us know that you are fine....even if it's from your wifes computer :tennis:

Chris

bensid54

One more thing Chris download all your info in colour. I made the mistake of using my laser jet printer that only does black and white and now I can't really tell the flashing light colours and what they mean. My son came for a visit yesterday and between the two of us we made some progress with figuring it out.

One more thing Chris download all your info in colour. I made the mistake of using my laser jet printer that only does black and white and now I can't really tell the flashing light colours and what they mean. My son came for a visit yesterday and between the two of us we made some progress with figuring it out.

Thanks Ben.

To All Concerned:
My wife's computer will not let me post on the forum. It will not allow me to use the Enter
key. I am writing this off the forum using Notepad in the hope that I can copy this to the
forum.
Any suggestions gratefully acknowledged.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
To All Concerned:
My wife's computer will not let me post on the forum. It will not allow me to use the Enter
key. I am writing this off the forum using Notepad in the hope that I can copy this to the
forum.
Any suggestions gratefully acknowledged.

Hi Chris,

I had the same problem with one of my computers, the answer was to go to settings at the top right side of the screen and click there. When the new window opens go to My Account part way down on the left side of the screen and then click on General Settings, When that screen opens, scroll down to Miscellaneous Options which is almost at the bottom of the page. In the Message Editor Settings change the selection from WYSIWYG to Standard Editor and then go all the way to the bottom and click on Save Changes. Don't know exactly what the problem is other than it's some setting or incompatibility with something in the Windows operating system, one of these days if I have nothing better to do I may try and figure out the cause but this change should at least get the enter key working again.

I have a couple questions before I button up the 550 and pack it up for shipping. First, what battery(s) do you have, 3 or 4S, and how many mAmps? The Naza has a voltage monitoring ability, I can set it up to make the 550 land when the battery gets to a low voltage threshold. Do you want that turned on or would you rather use the little monitoring device that came with it? The thing about using the built in Naza monitoring is that it will land wherever it happens to be when it hits that threshold, so if you plan to fly at a distance it may not be the best option unless you feel like taking a walk occasionally to retrieve it. On the other hand when you get a moderate distance away it may well be impossible to hear the little voltage alarm going off so you could wind up with it falling out of the sky if you're not watching the flight time.

Over the weekend I attached a GoPro on an older servo driven gimbal I had sitting around to see how it flew with a full load. Good thing I did as the extra weight of the landing gear with GoPro required a significant change to the gain settings to get the flight stability back. The bare 550 flew fairly well on the default settings, with the additional weight and the positioning of it down low the Naza was quite wobbly with the out of box settings, that's been taken care of now. I was going to leave that gimbal on there for you but after seeing the video the GoPro recorded I decided against it, almost made me motion sick watching it. It is an old low dollar gimbal with really cheap servos and they do not play nice with the Naza, video was twitching and jerking in just about all directions, not worth the headache of trying to make it work right which would likely require a new set of servos at a minimum.

What I'm doing instead is working out a fixed mount for a Hero 3 that you will be able to just slide the camera into and then go fly. I drew up a design on my desktop computer and then made the prototype on my 3D printer. I've got a couple tweaks to make to the dimensions and then print the (hopefully) final version, a quick test flight with GoPro in place to make sure everything is working right and the gains are good, then box it up and ship it out.

Ken

Hello Ken,

Thanks for the input on that Enter key thing. I shall go at it tomorrow. I'll do that NotePad thing for now. Presently I am all tuckered out from lifting computer monitors and tracing inaccessable cables. Seems my computer problem stems from a defective monitor, which is great. Better that than a defective computer. Actually, the problem did suggest an intermittant connection so I'll take it apart and see if I can repair it.

The battery that came with my bird has one small label which reads, LIPO 2200mAh 20C 14.8V. No mention of how many cells.

I would certainly rather use the Naza monitoring ability instead of the buzzer. I don't intend to fly any great distance away because, even if I wanted to, I would look pretty silly trying to chase after my aircraft using my walker.

In regard to the gimbal Ken, I think that's a bit down the road. I certainly intend to install one, but I'm really quite a methodical guy. I like to take things step by step and use the utmost caution in doing so. It will be awhile before I endanger my precious GoPro 3 to the whims of the wind.

Having a 3D printer and do what you do with it boggles my miniscule mind. You must feel like Merlin himself. It won't be too long before a guy needing a companion for the weekend just prints one out. Old folk do have fantasies.

Thank you my friend . . . for everything.

Chris

bensid54

14.8 volts is likely four cells, count the wires on the little balance plug and if it has five then it's four cells they are always one wire more than the cells they have.

I feel like a small child waiting for Christmas. It seems as if it will never get here.

I feel like a small child waiting for Christmas. It seems as if it will never get here.
We're all small children at heart here in this forum. We all just love our toys and playing with them, and some can actually make some money off of it and fulfill their inner small child, and make papa proud at the same time. ;)

Attachments

• Suspense.jpg
    Suspense.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 287

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Been a bit of a whirlwind week with my day job, even so I managed to squeezae the last few things on this project into the odd free moment. Here's the final bit of work I did....

Without a gimbal you still need a way to secure a GoPro to the multi, and since this one seems to have a significant amount of vibration present (could use some better props or a good balancing of the current set), a vibration isolation mount is what's needed. Here's the first rough prototype of an idea I've had kicking around for a while that was eaily adapted to the job.

This one uses the soft rubber isolation balls that are common on most every brushless gimbal coming out of China these days although the Chinese aren't using them properly, in this case I designed the mount so the isolators are in compression rather than in tension which is the way these are supposed to be used.

The nice thing about 3D printing is its very easy to make changes in design and almost immediately have the object in hand for testing, here's the V2 prototype under construction...

Once I had that done, a couple minor tweaks to the CAD drawing and then print the final version. Large structures can be set to be filled to different percentages of material so while it may look heavy, it isn't, the entire center post is mostly a honeycomb structure with 2mm thick solid walls...

The final version assembled and installed...

I'm finding having a 3D printer in house to be quite a useful tool, the only limitations of what you can do are the capabilities of the printer itself. In this case the print area is 8 x 8 x 8 inches with a normal print resolution of .3mm although it can go as fine as .1mm but the print time at high resolution is much longer than at .3 Still as long as you have the ability to work in a CAD program that can create the STL files used by the printer, you're good to go. Here are a couple other things I've done with it.

A 250mm Flamewheel style mini-quad, that's a DJI F330 arm next to it for size comparison...

Making new arms for my Honey Badger FPV frame, the original design and manufacture is from Delrin and it isn't nearly as strong as it needs to be, I've broken every single piece of this frame so far without what I consider a bad crash, doesn't take much. Using ABS plastic, thickening and strengthening where needed, I hope to fix that problem. The red arms are the new ones from the 3D printer and the beginning steps of this project...

So, now back to the Aero 550. I've done as much as I can with it, there are a few things I just don't have the time or right pieces to fully refine such as the rubber isolators in the GoPro mount aren't the right stiffness for the amount of weight hanging from them. Chris may need to add a little weight or maybe use the factory case with the Hero3 set to record upside down to get to a point where the video is relatively smooth in all conditions. Another is the matter of the props, these are cheap Gemfan and while they work well the balancing leaves a lot to be desired. Having a couple sets of these of my own I know they can be time consuming to balance properly and unfortunately I just don't have the spare time to deal with them without depriving Chris of his 550 for another week or two.

I can say it's flying well and I was able to get an acceptable level of video from it in a very limited amount of testing, so it's time to break it down, box it up, and ship it back. If I can get that done before the local Post Office or UPS store closes it will go out today, otherwise it will be on its way Monday.

Ken

Hi Ken,

You continue to amaze me. Are you sure you are from this planet? Maybe you came here in a tiny rocket ship when you were just a baby, but instead of having super strength you have super brain power.

Anyway, I eagerly look forward to one day soon when I can show you a video of me lifting off.
For the purpose of experimentation, and before I commit my GoPro 3 to duty, I shall try to adapt this to my bird. It's a baby monitor you may be familiar with:

View attachment 13351

It's a cheap man's FPV that works quite well in racing cars. It doesn't have the greatest resolution and I'm sure it has a limited range, but it will work well, I think, for experimentation. I'll use balsa wood as mount material. It is amazing the things you can make with balsa wood. I wanted to make some copies of some of my stereo slides, so I could turn them into anaglyphs, but no scanner exists, that I know of, that will scan stereo slides. So, I took my Nikon CoolPix 1057 and built a custom fitted copy stand around it from balsa wood. It works perfectly.

I'll let you guys know when my "newborn" bird arrives.

Chris

Attachments

• Baby Monitor.JPG
    Baby Monitor.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 323

bensid54

Chris one thing I'm starting to understand about these things is you need to get comfortable with flying it without using FPV (first person video) if that is what you plan on doing. I've flown RC helicopters and have some experience with flying things that can sometimes surprise you, and with these things home lock and attitude lock can do that. I would fly in manual then switch to attitude lock and find that the front of the craft will not go forward when I push the stick forward what it will do is head away from me, something that helped me to crash it the first time it tried that function. So before you learn how to use the camera get used to the machine and have lots of batteries on hand!

Hi ben,

You must have missed my post to Ken when we discussed a camera gimbal. I remarked:

In regard to the gimbal Ken, I think that's a bit down the road. I certainly intend to install one, but I'm really quite a methodical guy. I like to take things step by step and use the utmost caution in doing so. It will be awhile before I endanger my precious GoPro 3 to the whims of the wind.

So, you see, I have no intention of skipping any part of the learning process.

Chris