Things They Do Not Tell You

I am starting to get along with my newly arrived AeroSky 550, but I have some questions that are not answered on the very sparse instruction sheet that comes with the bird.

Before I did anything I followed Dave Herbert's advice and I reset the switches on the transmitter to those he specified in his YouTube video.

I then determined if I could lock and unlock the multicopter. I could and was impressed by this very good safety feature.

I then attempted to adjust the Gyro. I followed the directions on the instruction sheet and nothing happened. The LED 1 (whichever one that is. It is not indicated on the sheet.) was supposed to flash for 5 seconds. Nothing happens, nothing flashes that I can see. Moving the sticks to the indicated positions produces NO results of which I am aware.

What I need is for someone to take me from there, step by step, to the complete set up of the machine. I need someone to explain things that are not even mentioned on that sad instruction sheet. Things such as:

How and where do I connect the audible timer?

How do I get at the board? Must I take the machine apart in order to inspect or work on the board, if need be? Removing all those screws is time consuming and annoying. Then putting them back . . *&$#%^@#*

THEN . . if I ever do get the Gyro properly adjusted, there is the matter of the switches. The sheet states that -100 is the onlock position and +100 is the unlock position on the Channel 5 switch. However, the Channel 5 switch has a "0" and a "1" position. Which is the -100 and which is the +100?

The Channel 6 switch is supposed to be a three stage toggle switch. It is only a two stage toggle switch so setting it would seem impossible. Then there are the words Baro and Mag. They should be defined and explained for the Newbee.

It truly boggles my mind that the attitude of the manufacturer seems to be, "We designed and built this great machine, let the user figure out how to get the most out of it. We can't be bothered with creating a complete and useful User Manual". Well, someone should bother. Someone completely familiar with the AeroSky 550 should sit down and write a well illustrated User Manual for that bird. I'll bet they would sell online like the probverbial hotcakes. Then they could do the same with all Chinese rc aircraft. Not a one of them seems to have a decent manual. There's a fortune to made out there.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I have no knowledge of the AeroSky machines but the Tx settings are the same for most -100 refers to the switch/channel being fully off and +100 is fully on, so a two position channel switch would be able to switch from +100 to -100, most computer radios are able to adjust the ends points to compensate for variations or different requirements so you could end up with -80 one end and +120 at the other end. Better radios will have three position switches and therefore more choices in settings. The -100 and the +100 can be either end simply by operating the reversing feature.

Pete

Thanks for your reply Pete, but if you have no knowledge of the AeroSky machines then there is no way you can answer any of my questions or concerns.

But I do want you to know that I most sincerely appreciate your interest and your attempt to help me.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Well I did answer one of your questions which seems to be more than others have done.

Cheers

Pete

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Well I did answer one of your questions which seems to be more than others have done.

Cheers

Pete

Sent from my A1-810 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yes, that's very true. Apparently I am the only one on the planet who has an AeroSky 550 hexacopter. Thanks again Pete.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The Aerosky 550 is a DJI F550 frame kit with a Multiwii controller installed, you could call it a low budget version of the DJI product which normally would have a Naza flight controller. I find it interesting that someone would put a Multiwii in what amounts to a beginners almost ready to fly kit, I have several versions. of the M/W and it really isn't well suited to beginners unless you happen to write software for a living and understand PID based control systems.

Your best bet is to do some Google searches on Multiwii controllers and read up on how to setup and tune a Mutliwii board. It's also a LOT easier to setup via the GUI, go to here and download the .zip for version 2.2 http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downloads/list I wouldn't rely on the stick commands to do anything on a Multiwii other than arm the board, use the GUI so you can see exactly what's going on.

As far as the radio goes, I have no idea who makes the Aerosky radio that comes with the RTF kit but I do know it's a fairly cheap Chinese rig. I tried a similar Turnigy 9XR and it turned out to be junk as it failed completely while flying a quad resulting in a crash and total loss of the frame and some of the flight gear. Personally I'd buy a decent radio and toss the el cheapo especially if it has no documentation.

And to answer one of your questions, yes you will need to take the top deck off to get to the board and be able to see what's going on.

Bottom line, unfortunately what you thought was going to be an inexpensive complete RTF beginners multirotor that would be easy to get flying is going to turn out to be either a big lesson in DIY multirotors or a huge headache that you may or may not ever get to fly correctly. It is possible to make this work but you've got a BIG learning curve ahead of you to get it to do that

Ken

The Aerosky 550 is a DJI F550 frame kit with a Multiwii controller installed, you could call it a low budget version of the DJI product which normally would have a Naza flight controller. I find it interesting that someone would put a Multiwii in what amounts to a beginners almost ready to fly kit, I have several versions. of the M/W and it really isn't well suited to beginners unless you happen to write software for a living and understand PID based control systems.

Your best bet is to do some Google searches on Multiwii controllers and read up on how to setup and tune a Mutliwii board. It's also a LOT easier to setup via the GUI, go to here and download the .zip for version 2.2 http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downloads/list I wouldn't rely on the stick commands to do anything on a Multiwii other than arm the board, use the GUI so you can see exactly what's going on.

As far as the radio goes, I have no idea who makes the Aerosky radio that comes with the RTF kit but I do know it's a fairly cheap Chinese rig. I tried a similar Turnigy 9XR and it turned out to be junk as it failed completely while flying a quad resulting in a crash and total loss of the frame and some of the flight gear. Personally I'd buy a decent radio and toss the el cheapo especially if it has no documentation.

And to answer one of your questions, yes you will need to take the top deck off to get to the board and be able to see what's going on.

Bottom line, unfortunately what you thought was going to be an inexpensive complete RTF beginners multirotor that would be easy to get flying is going to turn out to be either a big lesson in DIY multirotors or a huge headache that you may or may not ever get to fly correctly. It is possible to make this work but you've got a BIG learning curve ahead of you to get it to do that

Ken

Hi Ken,

I really appreciate your honesty and candor.

I am just fighting a losing battle. My desire to pilot a multirotor aircraft made me believe in the hype presented by the vendors selling these machines.

I have five multirotor aircraft that I could never even get to hover, although I have seen these aircraft perform beautifully on YouTube videos. I reached out
on various forums for help and guidance, but although I received much advice, I received very little help. I thought surely there must be someone in my area
who could mentor me, but again . . no luck.

As far as getting into deep research goes, I am 84 years old and really don't have enough time left to pursue that path, even if I were motivated enough to do it
. . which I am not. I have arthritic and neuropathy problems so I can't really flit around as if I were 20 years old.

I was foolish enough to believe the hype and hoopla associated with flying rc multirotor aircraft and, as they say, there is no fool like an old fool.

In regard to this subject I think I will just slowly fade away.

Zelon

Hi Chris
Sorry to see your having such frustration with these.
I posted in your other thread last week.If really want something right out of box and will get you up in the air,as I suggested you can't go wrong with the Blade Nano qx ready to fly for $90.00. Mike

Hi Chris
Sorry to see your having such frustration with these.
I posted in your other thread last week.If really want something right out of box and will get you up in the air,as I suggested you can't go wrong with the Blade Nano qx ready to fly for $90.00. Mike

Hi Mike,

That Blade Nano qx is a cute little toy, but I have already been there, done that. Some time ago, my grandson had a little black helicopter about the same size as the Blade Nano. I flew that thing all over the house and really enjoyed it, but what I want is something I can mount my GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition camera on. The AeroSky 550 would be perfect if someone would show me how to get it up and running. The meager, one sheet "manual" that comes with it gives pretty good instructions on setting it up, but they don't work. I have written to XHeli for support, but have been ignored.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
If you were anywhere reasonably close to Boston I'd gladly help you get it sorted and flying, I have enough experience with the Multiwii boards that it wouldn't take but an hour or two assuming it's a decent quality board they used.

Another option would be to remove the current flight controller and install a DJI Naza Lite flight controller, the basic unit without GPS can be bought for around $110 and has a fairly complete manual on how to set it up. The other thing is there are a LOT of people flying them and it would be much easier to get assistance should you have problems.

One other option, box it up and send it to me, I'll get it flying if it's at all capable of it and send it back to you truly ready to fly.

Ken

ChrisViperM

If you were anywhere reasonably close to Boston I'd gladly help you get it sorted and flying, I have enough experience with the Multiwii boards that it wouldn't take but an hour or two assuming it's a decent quality board they used.

Another option would be to remove the current flight controller and install a DJI Naza Lite flight controller, the basic unit without GPS can be bought for around $110 and has a fairly complete manual on how to set it up. The other thing is there are a LOT of people flying them and it would be much easier to get assistance should you have problems.

One other option, box it up and send it to me, I'll get it flying if it's at all capable of it and send it back to you truly ready to fly.

Ken

I guess that would be the very best solution for Chris.....would take the longest a few days and he would be up in the air......

I love this forum....great people here :tennis:

Chris (the other one....)

That kind of support you don't find too often. Way to go Ken!
Chris, alternatively, can you tell us roughly where shouts are you? Maybe there is someone local we can point you to.

Ken

Thank you Ken. That is truly a very generous offer and I deeply appreciate it, but this is my situation. My wife has all the money accumulated from our sixty years of marriage. I subsist mostly on my Social Security check, which isn't a helluva lot. I charge what I want on one of my wife's credit cards and pay her back (as well as half of that SS check just for the privilege of living in her house) so much a month from that SS check. All the money I have poured down the multitotor aircraft drain, which includes a GoPro 3 camera, has come from that arrangement. At the moment that well is completely dry and what's coming in for me now goes to her monthly pay back payments. And at 84, my time is running out. I guess I should just go sit on that park bench and feed the ducks, as old folks are supposed to do.

That kind of support you don't find too often. Way to go Ken!
Chris, alternatively, can you tell us roughly where shouts are you? Maybe there is someone local we can point you to.

That would be GREAT! I live in Homeland, California. Homeland is between Perris and Hemet in Southern California.

I have been trying to find someone in my area, but I guess no one really relishes mentoring an old man with arthitis and neuropathy problems.

ChrisViperM

Hi Chris

My wife has all the money accumulated from our sixty years of marriage. .......

Sounds like a s*itty situation, but that is no reason to give up. A guy in your age with that spirit deserves some help......I would be glad to take over the costs involved in sending your bird to Ken + any additional small hardware needed......

It won't hurt me and would give me a great feeling to have done something useful.....

No need for feeding the ducks......just send me a PM (click name in my profile picture in this post and send me a Private Message) and we will sort it out. There is already enough selfish egoism on this planet....

Chris

Sounds like a s*itty situation, but that is no reason to give up. A guy in your age with that spirit deserves some help......I would be glad to take over the costs involved in sending your bird to Ken + any additional small hardware needed......
It won't hurt me and would give me a great feeling to have done something useful.....
No need for feeding the ducks......just send me a PM (click name in my profile picture in this post and send me a Private Message) and we will sort it out. There is already enough selfish egoism on this planet....
I agree with ChrisViper. I admire the fact that you are still pursuing passions such as MRs and video/photo! Don't give up those passions because of these obstacles. Hopefully we can get you up and flying in no time. Count me in as well to help in whatever way. I'm in Iowa, so I can't help in person, but can help with parts and advice. I know the San Diego is a bit of a drive, but Kloner might be able to help. He's quite savvy with all MR stuff.

I agree with ChrisViper. I admire the fact that you are still pursuing passions such as MRs and video/photo! Don't give up those passions because of these obstacles. Hopefully we can get you up and flying in no time. Count me in as well to help in whatever way. I'm in Iowa, so I can't help in person, but can help with parts and advice. I know the San Diego is a bit of a drive, but Kloner might be able to help. He's quite savvy with all MR stuff.

Hi ProPilot,

Thanks for your support. I sincerely appreciate and look forward to any input you may have.

Ken

Hi Ken,

If you have been reading our posts you know that ChrisViperM has offered to cover the costs of sending my bird to you for evaluation and adjustment. If the offer to get it up and flying is still valid let's discuss the details.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi Ken,

If you have been reading our posts you know that ChrisViperM has offered to cover the costs of sending my bird to you for evaluation and adjustment. If the offer to get it up and flying is still valid let's discuss the details.

Yes, still valid. I can PM you my address and all you need to do is put the pieces in a box and send it off, I'll take care of the rest. Right now I'm in Phoenix at a business conference until I fly home on Friday so no need to rush the shipping, I wouldn't be able to do anything with it until the weekend at the earliest.

Ken

RotorJockey

You Guys rock! I thought I was too old at 75 to get into MRs ... keep it up Old Timer, the boys will surely get you going!
I've started tinkering with a diy frame and want to use an APM2.X fc, etc. Might get it going when I'm 84!
Cheers