The Ten Commandments of FPV

Ok glad to finally have a reply thank you Kloner i really appreciate it. Now i am not looking to do extensive flight away from my house, i am still getting used to my 450. I am on 2.4 with the spektrum DX6i radio. I would like to use a Go pro to get my live feed from. Good bad idea? ANd i have heard a few things about the lawmate 1.2 GHz. What are your thoughts on it. Thanks!
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20141007_010013.jpg
    20141007_010013.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 333

kloner

Aerial DP
using hero is alright especialy if your not flying out of los. 1.2 is good but it'll let you get further than your rc controller will let you go, 5.8 will usually cut out prior to loss of signal from a 2.4 radio and lawmate requires a bec at 12 volts or 5 volts depending what size you go with and that makes it harder to install and a dirtier bird form the additional bec. Any little thing that makes rf makes your fpv experience less enjoyable with static and loss of signal sooner than later. 1.2 also requires low pas filters to make sure it doesn't mess with that gps of yours.

one word of caution, once you understand fpv progressing is generally fast, so don't sell yourself short or you'll wind up buying it all twice. It's pretty simple once the overwhelming part wears off,,,,

Man i really appreciate all the info. What would you suggest for a 1.2 set up? Im thinking a 8-10 inch screen, with a receiver, transmitter. Would that be all i need? What kind of antenna should i run for 1.2?

Also i want to be 1 and done with my fpv set up. Thats why i wanted to ask the community first to get feed back. I have also herd the 5.8 is not very good at all. Thats why i was looking at 2.4 or the 1.2. but i was told 2.4 will interfere with my radio making that hard to use for fpv at long range. But that was a rumor and haven't been confirmed yet

kloner

Aerial DP
We fly 5.8 professionaly and it's awesome cause it's as close to hd any of these will get, it's a wider bandwidth. 1.2 is a bit like an old tv at best, harder to make stuff out like home if you get far or very high.

I prefer the 8" monitors, they have a quick contrast button on front that lets you cycle through contrast settings so if you look at the sun, look away from the sun, get caught in dark, etc.

For 1.2 you will need a bec unless you only fly 3s packs,,,, look at amazon for "buck converter" and a piece of 1" heat shrink from your local hardware or auto store.

yes, you can not use 2.4 video with 2.4 rc control.....

You will want to get a 1.2 low pass filter, goes on the video tx before the antena

i'd get the same stuff, ib crazy ultra bluebeam antennas for both tx and rx. 1.2 does work pretty good with the rubber duck on the aircraft, but they your getting into patch antennas and there useable beam width is really small so you gotta constantly aim the antenna at the aircraft. kind of a pain.

so from what i have been hearing is that 1.2/1.3 is kinda of a pain in the *** and doesnt have good quality live feed. Are you able to confirm that? and if that is true what would you suggest for a different set up? I would imagine like a mile or little longer or shorter is my range...

kloner

Aerial DP
with 2.4 rc control you want 5.8 IMO.... it's easiest to dial in and it's readily available, antennas are small, etc. Sometimes we get in high rf areas and the 5.8 will keep working like ormal and my 2.4 won't have a clean channel to select, 1.2 is alot like that since it's half band from eachother and alot of cell/wifi uses those. in a city environment we rely on the 5.8 bands

kloner

Aerial DP
That one is even worse in video quality but it'll go miles.... the antennas for that if you went circular polarized are like 5" across, the 5.8 are like 3/4" across. The biggest problem with those types of systems is there noisy as hell....

one of the ten commandments is to not use a lower frequency on video than your controller, if you want to run that type of system it'd be in your best interest to get a uhf rc like i mentioned i use,,, it's how you do it. the rc control goes to 433mhz and opens you up to any frequency you want... i preffer 2.4 video myself... looks like this, this is live feed captured so this is what it was like when i flew it.... it also went through a 5.8 but only from a tracker to the monitor

I'm not sure of your friend or what he does/is into, all i can tell you is what i see from experience. If a 5.8 system sucks it's the instal or the whole build that sucks, not the video transmitter.

You should look into getting a HAM license, it'll teach you a lot of why and what your asking about on a technician level

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok. First off that song was funny as hell on the first video. The on screen Display is awesome. Love that is shows mah,amps, att. etc. Second that was 2.4? If so that sucks because i would like that or better quality then that. So lower i go the ****tyer quality. second the second video seemed a little down graded what was that? if that first video is fact 2.4 what is the next step up 5.8? I really really like your set up

kloner

Aerial DP
the first one is a tracker and a patch antenna, second one is just circular antennas

Here is one with the ultra blue beams on both sides but a lot closer in..... the first one was miles away and in a wing....

2.4 video, 433 rc control on a 1100 hex

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
I got to thinking about your question about whats different between the first and second vid i posted,,,, and it goes back to what i kept saying earlier in that one is in teh middle of nowhere and the other is at a flying field in the city. there was other people flying 2.4 rc control and the stop light right behind where we fly is on the 2.4 band, if you get close enough to it being only 50' from us it'll just black out the video signal.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i should probably do something about getting the first post of this thread finished!