The ALL New DJI S900 Hexacopter!

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
It's a personal choice. I have only experienced Spektrum transmitters so am not the best person to ask. I have had nothing but a great experience with them.

All I can say is....the more channels the better! You've got control modes for the FC and Gimbal, retracts and taking photos/videos, not to mention the basic controls.

I think 11 channels would be perfect. :nevreness:

tikigod19

To be honest I loved my spektrum dx8 but everyone raves about futaba so I usually have to stay quiet.. I'll look into spektrum but it seems it's 10 or 18..

soler

8FG Super works well, seams to be more compatible with DJI equipment. You end up with 14 channels and 2 digital channels.

tikigod19

Thanks soler. Anyone know the disadvantages of going for the 8fg instead of the 14fg on something like the s900? I see lots of s1000 flyers with the 14sg.. I reckon their must be a reason.

Quinton

I have the 8 and 14, they are both 14 channel.
The 14 does telemetry and has voice prompts through a earphone socket if your into that sort of thing the 8 doesn't.
There are also newer TX out there like the 12 channel one.

In that 7K did you include Insurance ~£600-£1000

tikigod19

Yep included insurance. What I didn't include is any remote trigger type things and cabling lipos spares etc..

What is the 12 channel new one? Is that futaba? With telemetry? I must say I loved the telemetry on my spektrum

Quinton

Yep included insurance. What I didn't include is any remote trigger type things and cabling lipos spares etc..

What is the 12 channel new one? Is that futaba? With telemetry? I must say I loved the telemetry on my spektrum

Ah the lipos the bit people forget about :)
You may want to check this link..

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/futaba_14sg_combo_with_r7008sb_mode-p-22004.html

You need the 7008SB which it comes with too for telemetry (S-Bus 2 and an extra cable that you can pick up for a few pounds)

tikigod19

yep forgot that.. i'm expecting about £500 of things I forgot to be honest. I just need to close my eyes and throw money at the idea really..

I've heard there is talk of the CAA maybe insisting that an octo is required over 7kg in build up areas, has anybody else heard this, its now in the back of my mind between me and the s900 BUY button..

tikigod19

Ah the lipos the bit people forget about :)
You may want to check this link..

http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/futaba_14sg_combo_with_r7008sb_mode-p-22004.html

You need the 7008SB which it comes with too for telemetry (S-Bus 2 and an extra cable that you can pick up for a few pounds)

thats a good price. So it'd be £44.99 extra for the voltage sensor by the looks of it and that's all I'd need? if I wanted to one day add a 2nd tx for camera operation, does the WKM offer a built in receiver for this or would I need to buy a T8J and rx?

Quinton

thats a good price. So it'd be £44.99 extra for the voltage sensor by the looks of it and that's all I'd need? if I wanted to one day add a 2nd tx for camera operation, does the WKM offer a built in receiver for this or would I need to buy a T8J and rx?

You don't even need that £44.99 thing, its only a really small cable that plugs into your receiver that will give you voltage back to the TX
I have a couple of them here if you are stuck.
I don't want to get too much into it but the 14SG can actually control 2 (S-BUS) receivers ie (7008SB) in FASTTest mode with 1 transmitter.

Believe me when you think you have costed everything up you can add even more on for those "extras" that you forgot.

tikigod19

You don't even need that £44.99 thing, its only a really small cable that plugs into your receiver that will give you voltage back to the TX
I have a couple of them here if you are stuck.
I don't want to get too much into it but the 14SG can actually control 2 (S-BUS) receivers ie (7008SB) in FASTTest mode with 1 transmitter.

Believe me when you think you have costed everything up you can add even more on for those "extras" that you forgot.

thanks Quinton I'll forget that cable for now (and also the 2nd transmitter, I'm hoping the rotating knob on the front of the 14SG can be assigned to tilt and will be easily accessible when flying. I dont think I'd be able to do it with my right thumb still on the stick like i used to with my spektrum but that would be the hope..)

Quinton

thanks Quinton I'll forget that cable for now (and also the 2nd transmitter, I'm hoping the rotating knob on the front of the 14SG can be assigned to tilt and will be easily accessible when flying. I dont think I'd be able to do it with my right thumb still on the stick like i used to with my spektrum but that would be the hope..)

Well you also have sliders underneath if you need.
TBH by the sounds of your posts I would sit back for a while and read through as much as you can and NOT jump in buying anything for a month or two (especially anything on pre-order) , as you can easily get carried away with rushing things, then a few months down the line when you know better you wish you had went a different direction.

tikigod19

Well you also have sliders underneath if you need.
TBH by the sounds of your posts I would sit back for a while and read through as much as you can and NOT jump in buying anything for a month or two (especially anything on pre-order) , as you can easily get carried away with rushing things, then a few months down the line when you know better you wish you had went a different direction.

The problem is I've been doing that for 3 years! I need to get qualified asap. Perhaps I do it on my phantom and then go back and add the s900 or whatever it would be at a later date once some reviews emerge.. sound like a better idea? Maybe someone will come up with a 200g (what I figure it'd need to be) camera to go on the s900/z15/16000mah 6s that's just awesome. Could happen, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

ZAxis

Try putting a couple of small zip ties around the front knob with the lumps at say 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock. You can then sense its position by touch. it worked for us with a Graupner Tx.

andy

tikigod19

Great idea ZAxis. I've since found there are sliders underneath so hopefully that'll do the job..

I just did some sums on the magic 7kg weight limit.. what have I missed? (sorry that this info is a double post with another thread too, I'm overexcited now I think it might be possible - someone crush my hopes and dreams quickly!)

so i was doing some sums on trying to keep this with the gh4 below the magic 7kg UK figure as I thought it was impossible, but what have I missed?

690 (gh4 + lens + batt + card)
1260 (gh4 z15)
3300 (s900 - If this is accurate)
1115 (6S LiPo Battery 8300 mAh 35C) 1524 (6S LiPo Battery 10400 mAh 35C)
118 (WKM)
18 (immersionRC VTX)
56 (iosd mkii)
11 (R7008SB)

6568 grams with 8300mah 6977g with 10400mah