tell me what i want

jbrumberg

7808 I drew another picture and took a pic so bear with my lack or artistic skills. In reality only the the AIL-Rx needs that 3 pin servo wire connector. That's what powers the receiver. It's powered from the AILE pins. All the other connections the ELE, THR, etc. they only need to be connected by the signal pins, those inner pins. Those 3 pin servo wires really do not connect well connecting any way but across the board . What gets confusing and I have seen this on some guides is that some builders use only 2 3 pin servo connectors and bend the pins on the boards and RX to wire everything up. But with this set up there is no fifth channel.

Attachments

• 7808 pic1 001.jpg
    7808 pic1 001.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 264
Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

You don't like my artistry? :highly_amused:

Ignore battery- that's for binding to your Tx only.
Ignore Channel 6
Channel 5 Connect the 3 pin servo wire Orange inside pin Rx- Orange inside pin KK S-L Do the same with the remaining channels
Channel 4 Channel 4 RUDD
Channel 3 Channel 3 THRO
Channel 2 Channel 2 ELE
Channel 1 Channel 1 AIL

lol its good enough for me, in all my googling i didnt find anything that plain and simple , i will add your connections to the drawing and upload it somewhere where others can find it

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...A/0HtYV1qihhM/w1159-h760-no/xcopter6chkk2.png

that look right? dummys guide to wiring xcopter all in one picture, almost lol

LAST question.. for now.. how does the rx get powered ? does it need 5v from a bec to the BATT pins?

coreyperez

MAN! You guys have been busy the last hour! I'm so glad you are all discussing this now, I had no idea how little I knew about the KK (and Multiwii) boards. I've got one of them each on order (Naza-M V2) is probably going to the wayside. Especially if these boards are as solid as they sound.

I'm 100% glad I bookmarked/subscribed to this discussion as well!

Corey

coreyperez

7808 I drew another picture and took a pic so bear with my lack or artistic skills. In reality only the the AIL-Rx needs that 3 pin servo wire connector. That's what powers the receiver. It's powered from the AILE pins. All the other connections the ELE, THR, etc. they only need to be connected by the signal pins, those inner pins. Those 3 pin servo wires really do not connect well connecting any way but across the board . What gets confusing and I have seen this on some guides is that some builders use only 2 3 pin servo connectors and bend the pins on the boards and RX to wire everything up. But with this set up there is no fifth channel.

I just spent 30min trying to figure out what OSD you were referencing... Until I took a step back and realized that was the KK board (Which is what I was expecting to see). With all the FPV stuff I've been looking at, totally got sucked into thinking I needed a OSD to be a tie-in!

DOH! (Face-Palm)

Corey

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think it's actually an OLED. Just a different type of LED screen that can be seen in sunlight better. Not to be confused with the FPV item that transmits telemetry data back to you on the ground.

i wrestled with that same power issue forever (or so it felt). It will take power from the FC. the ESCs send power back to the board - and once the board is powered it can run several things, including your RX, LED lights, etc. depending on the connectors your FC has.

for instance, if my multiwii FC is set up correctly it can start my coffee maker in the morning....

jbrumberg

Corey- My "art" can make a blind man see, but it works the other way too- kind of like a Medusa thing. In my defense I am a newbee, not an artist, a former "human service 'professional' :monkey:" (and no way am I one of those "crunchy granola/tree hugger" types :hororr:) I worked with "head cases". Maybe I am one now; I do not care. You have FPV mindedness. I am not here yet, but I think that's the path I am heading towards. The KK boards seem to be good for FPV. How are you doing?

coreyperez

I'm doing well here. I've got 85% of the stuff to get my 550 together, basically just need my TX from the wife (being shipped here now) and my battery charger (ordered a Onyx 150 from Ebay for $25). I'll use that until I can get my iCharger 4010Duo. I put that on hold to get my Honey Badger (HB) and its required items (motors, ESC, Props...) on their way. I'm also taken back by how cheap the batteries are for the HB! $10 vs. $50+!

As far as FPV, I just bumped into a "head tracking" video with a guy flying a powered glider... OH MAN! I'm IN SO MUCH TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm currently watching a Fat Shark comparison video right now. I heard that in the next month Fat Shark is supposed to be coming out with the newest deal on the market. I've still got a ton to learn before I go too far forward with that.

As far as getting focused on the HB vs. 550, I figure if I can learn to fly the HB on full manual (supplemented by my Ladybird, when repair parts arrive) I'm probably leaps and bounds ahead.

Corey!

coreyperez

Oh, I actually just sent this link to a friend who is a few steps behind me. He too is working towards the KK board vs. Naza.

(Hi Steve!)

Corey

jbrumberg

"dummys guide to wiring" Highly accurate and I love it :highly_amused: Wire up everything and test it before you start publishing stuff. We could all possibly "hang" for dissemination of false (but not fraudulent because we are newbees and stupid) information. We are just some poor guys, with no life, looking for something to do, who are trying to make a computerized erector set, any erector set fly. Not guilty by reason of....

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It is sorta crazy the lack concise info there is for some of this stuff. I've been fortunate that the multiwii is a format that gets geeks obsessed, so the simple info trickles down from their experimentations. Then it all gets put into the Wiki by the guy who invented it.

But so far the little blind leading the naked routine we have going on here is getting at least productive results :)

coreyperez

"dummys guide to wiring" Highly accurate and I love it :highly_amused: Wire up everything and test it before you start publishing stuff. We could all possibly "hang" for dissemination of false (but not fraudulent because we are newbees and stupid) information. We are just some poor guys, with no life, looking for something to do, who are trying to make a computerized erector set, any erector set fly. Not guilty by reason of....

Word from up "North"... Kim Jong-un does NOT approve...

jbrumberg

Corey- If enough of you guys (us guys) flew enough of non-weaponized MRV''s of various capacities at Jong Kim, the country would implode, even if he threatened to try to start WWIII. China, the ruler of the RC universe, would not let that happen- he would follow his uncle to the family gettogether with the rest of his ancestors.

well, seems the battery input for voltage monitor on the kk board cares about polarity . CRAP. i hooked it up yesterday and it was fine, today i plugged it back in after re-routing the wire i must have flipped it around, when i plugged the battery in there was smoke.. looks like i burned up a resistor or somthing right next to the connector. then when i thought the damage was done, i hooked it up the other way and the screen was instantly brighter, then the screen went blank. would be nice if they mentioned this kind of stuff in the manual.. maybe they do i didnt read the whole thing. didnt see anything in the 1st setup parts.

good news is the board SEEMS like it still functions. i did the bind procedure and the kk board shows my stick inputs, all of them except throttle. that one doesnt change. i will double check my wiring but im pretty sure they are all going to the right place. im going to go read the manual now..

edit: i flipped the toggle on the top left of my tx now it shows throttle input in the reciever test in the kk board.

i have the props off and i was expecting to be able to finally hear this motors spin, but nothing. i might be missing somthing

coreyperez

Mind stating what way produced the smoke. Just so I don't go doing something crazy too. Seems I remember that there was a hole towards the top-ish ififhe board was positive, there was a snack ground spot near the side. ?? Correct??

top left on the board there is battery voltage input so the kk board can display and monitor, i didnt think polarity ( + - ) mattered because its just for voltage display i guess. turns out it does. looks like maybe a resistor or somthing right under it (towards the screen) burned up. hoping i didnt wreck anything else and the board still functions. it sees my stick inputs but doesnt operate any of the motors. i connected one of my speed controls right to the reciever and it works. i feel like i might be missing somthing in the settings otherwise i need a new board.

coreyperez

That was pretty daring. I wouldn't have hooked anything but a multi meter up to it at that point! Hopefully it works out but that smoke is REALLY hard to get back in once it gets out.

Corey

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Guys!!!!! Polarity ALWAYS matters. ALWAYS!!! You want to make sure you are careful with these things - especially after all the horror stories of the Lipo fires.

7808, have you calibrated the ESCs with them directly from the throttle channel? You need to do that before you get permanently wired in.

There"s an arming procedure for most FCs that you'll need to do to get power. Hopefully it's that and not a fried board...

jbrumberg

7808- I agree with Corey- that was ballsy wiring in that KK board voltage sensor. I have yet to find clear, understandable (to me) instructions or better yet a concise short video of the soldering procedure of which wire to solder where on the KK board in order to make that KK board voltage sensor work. I believe one only has to solder in the + connector to somewhere. Magic smoke is never, ever good. Polarity mix is never good. Black to Black - Red to Red. You need to calibrate the ESC's. The two clothespins trick really works. That is a hot tip trick one of those training videos offered. Good luck.