TBS Discovery Pro

kloner

Aerial DP
boltz has been running 2814 on stock length arms with that camera and gimbal..... front mounted too

theoreticaly you could slide 6' sticks of 16mm in these and make it 12' across if you wanted. the limiter here is going to be the frame plates

you can not rotate these mounts in a dji frame, same thing would happen with a stock arm as this.... there is no additional height from adding these arms, only strength.

the biggest difference between a stock arm and what we have to offer is rotational strength. you now how you can twist a stock arm, alot, like 45 degrees or more. That's dji jello arms. These have zero deflection in any axis.... they let ya go big

tstrike

pendejo grande
Nice!!! Couple questions, are the cf tubes included and what length? If someone wanted to try making an X8, can landing gear piece be substituted for another motor mount piece? Conrat's on the store dude!

kloner

Aerial DP
sorry that's nt more complete, were working on better everything still

yes it comes with the 16mm x 13" booms big enough to do 15" prop. all the legs, motor mounts, inner piece that mounts the boom to the frame and the neccesary hardware. We use m3 on the legs so you can crank em down nice and snug to do this right. motors can be 2212 to 40xx nav series anything down to 320kv or up to 500 kv on 4 or 6s using 12-15" prop

the stability is ridiculous, the no twist improves jello factors by alot, flight efficiency goes way up. but, if you leave them long with small motors this thing turns into a pig, like fighter jet vs airliner. if you want it peppy cut down the arms to get .5-1" between prop tips and shell really get agile.

there is one small build note on the v1 parts i'm working on getting together this weekend that is super necessary to follow but were just about out of them so it won;t be an issue here shortly..... just a torque pattern to follow tightening the outer clamps

henrysj

Hi Kloner,

Awesome work with the arms I'll be ordering a couple of sets next week.

Question with the Discovery Pro though - how do you think the gimbal compares with the Zenmuse H3? I've already got one on an F450 which I want to upgrade to the Discovery but cant decide whether to go Discovery Pro and ditch the Zenmuse or just go Discovery frames and stick with the Zenmuse?

kloner

Aerial DP
way better, the zen can only hold a hero, can't even put a filter on it. that footage i showed was raw, cropped so if it is shaking, that's looking at it through a microscope, and is out of the box. I never even looked at the alexmos yet, dumb tilt doesn't work yet, keep forgetting. theonly way i wouldn't use a disco pro is if i wanted a bigger camera.....

raw footage, made it in gopro studio

when you turn too hard with a zen they go into protect mode and go limp, loose a lot of footage with that

Last edited by a moderator:

henrysj

Sweet vid :)

Cheers for the advise - I much prefer the position of the Discovery Pro gimbal so am chuffed to hear it works well and that raw footage looks sick

henrysj

One more question Kloner - with your fleet of these, what have you found the best motor/boom length combo for use with the go-pro gimbal? My Disco Pro arrived today so as soon as your arms turn up I can start the build. I was going to strip down my full loaded F450 (1.67kg with no lipo) which has T-motor 2216-11 motors but in manual with 10" props & 4s I was hovering at 66% throttle. I'm pretty sure the Disco Pro will come out slightly lighter as I dont need the undercarriage & DJI iosd, but I still think I'll be right on the limit with these motors

kloner

Aerial DP
the best combo for all around awesome is the 35mm to 40mm motors on 6s with 13-14" props..... the next step down and still mad powerful but you loose alot of flight time is 2814 760kv on 11 or 12" with 4s..... but like i said, that'll do 60-70 amps in full fff..... my 6s first recomendation hovers at 10 amp, max draw is 25-30 amps, a lot less stress. with a 6s setup you could get away with 20 amp esc easily... i run 40 and 60 amp just from experience giving it all overhead, but not neccessary unless you fly like a maniac like me

we found a 4200mah 6s pack that fits, will be released soon.

the 2216 with 10" prop would want to trim these arms down to 8.5" long each before you build, makes it happier to fly, not so lethargic from being big and low powered, once you give it enough power, weight stops mattering and longer arms help control the power.

BruceTS

Why? Why did I ever find this thread!!! Saw your arms on another TBS and did some extensive searching, found your website first, then this thread. I just finished putting my TBS Discovery together with a modified Tarot gimbal in the nose. Got her flying real smooth, now I ordered your arm kit.... When is this going to end......j/k

Now to get new motors, props and batteries... Ok 3520 400 KV tigers, which brand props do you recommend?

Kloner I hate you for making me spend more money, but I love your arm kits!

kloner

Aerial DP
haha, happens sometimes. Trappy had the same affect on me

i wouldn't touch anything but t-motor cf props. IF your crashing, graupner or a woodie will work. if you go cf props, you need the 3520 cf prop adapter, they come stock with the tall ones for the other brands i mentioned.

20140109110859-991d05fc-la.jpg

they really are nice, if you ever had something like a stock disco how they come now, it's kinda a high energy sounding, alot of stress to be around, twitchy.... when you lay it out with this kit and those motors/props something magical happens. Trappy found some 4300mah 6s packs he will market soon that hovers a half hour......

good luck and keep me updated to anything you find using them.

kloner

Aerial DP
the only physical difference is they fit mn 4014 better..... all the other little changes could easily be adaptable if you wanted to use v1 and a little mod. Mainly if your going big, we suggest drilling the booms and bolting them in instead of using the set screw method. if this is 2814 or smaller, forget about it, v1 is for you, but if 3520 or want 4014, wait another month,,, for sure before spring rolls around we will have the next gen kits ready... 30-40 days from now...

Boltzman

Hi guys!

Sorry been out travelling for a while.
Some new shots with the Klonerarms and the GotheliRC VX5 gimbal:
http://vimeo.com/87368710

Motors T-tiger 2814 and stock length of arms. See earlier posts for pics.

These arms rocks!

Need upgrade to larger arms to get away with some of the yaw oscillations.
But as NEX-5 backpack kit it works out pretty OK.

Boltzman

kloner

Aerial DP
well done boltz.... man, that's heaven on earth. the lower kv bigger props really tighten up the yaw authority and give it a nice slow controllable yaw for sweet pans, bump your rudder trim up to like 10-20 clicks a touch and give the yaw a couple clicks, click out to stop it. Looks great though, nice smooth footage,,,, bravo

henrysj

Hey kloner thanks again for all the info - you make a pretty convincing case to go with 6s. How long do you reckon it'll be before you realise the 6s packs and will it be through the Aerial Mob shop again? I've got a stack of Tmotor U5's on order for a sykjib x4 i'm building so might give those a shot.

kloner

Aerial DP
right now we are using turnigy compact 2700, but trappy found 4300 6s that fit. there on the fpv lab thread, a few guys been trying them but i didn't recognize them. if you look and do, post where they are from.