XAircraft SuperX

http://log.xaircraft.com/#2014_02_18_154817.750_1.1.00.30

I had just unplugged the GPS.... So I think this is an initial flight test I did before the crashed flight..

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Nothing is fool proof, yet. I doubt there will be a controller worthy of being called totally reliable for a long time. There are just so many factors involved that influence the FC. Maybe with something like MK where the components are proprietary and very well made for an exact purpose. but even then there will always be weird natural phenomenon that can negatively influence the FC. I'm sure it's not as simple as it sounds or they would have made one 100% solid already. But this is why i dont use GPS on a job. It's just another thing to go wrong.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
http://log.xaircraft.com/#2014_02_18_154817.750_1.1.00.30

I had just unplugged the GPS.... So I think this is an initial flight test I did before the crashed flight..

You may need somebody with a '6' to help I have a X650 but if my motor thrust was that low the FC would be turning off the motors! I'd also say that the motors need levelling but again aside from the apparent instability towards the end of flight it could well be the esc, I assume you have calibrated them to the radio?

Good luck with it

David

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 291

Av8Chuck

So I swapped out my MK board on my CS-6 so I could run 6s with some Castle ESC's.. Everything was flying great.. One flight in attitude mode and one Manual Mode... I was flying in Attitude mode when all of a sudden it acted very unstable.. I switched it back to Manual mode and it shot up in the air and then again became very unstable.. It would go in and out of level flight without any input on my part? I was trying to get it down safely when finally it flipped over and into the ground from about 30 feet???

Any help would be very appreciated..

Couple other facts.. I had the GPS unplugged..

Thanks,

Cedar

cleardot.gif

Sorry I can't help you, I haven't flown my SuperX that much and all the flights seem to be normal. Dhardjono has a few unexplained crashes with the SuperX, not sure if he ever determined the cause, no one on this thread seemed overly concerned about the crashes but in the videos there were certainly some unexplained control movements. Maybe he can offer some insight.

A shortcoming of the SX is the lack of software diagnostic tools in the setup, I'm not saying that it would have prevented this but having realtime feedback of what you think the controller is doing prior to flight can be as useful as the black box date after the flight.

Really sorry to hear about your crash, I'll be paying attention for the outcome and if I come up with anything I'll certainly let you know.

Good luck.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah, I think it's inexcusable now to not have the basic GUI showing the control input and switch modes. Bad move on their part which should be changed immediately.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Sorry I can't help you, I haven't flown my SuperX that much and all the flights seem to be normal. Dhardjono has a few unexplained crashes with the SuperX, not sure if he ever determined the cause, no one on this thread seemed overly concerned about the crashes but in the videos there were certainly some unexplained control movements. Maybe he can offer some insight.
A shortcoming of the SX is the lack of software diagnostic tools in the setup, I'm not saying that it would have prevented this but having realtime feedback of what you think the controller is doing prior to flight can be as useful as the black box date after the flight.

Dhardjono Crashes was the result of him using 3S batteries when they should have been 4S plus a small issue of government jamming! according to Daniel!

I believe the Black Box supplies to the right eyes more than enough in diagnostics to off set a perceived lack of set-up tools

David

Av8Chuck

Dhardjono Crashes was the result of him using 3S batteries when they should have been 4S plus a small issue of government jamming! according to Daniel!

I believe the Black Box supplies to the right eyes more than enough in diagnostics to off set a perceived lack of set-up tools

David

SuperX doesn't work with 3S?

I'm not saying that the balk box isn't a good thing, however it can't tell you if you have a problem before you take off, good, basic software diagnostic tools can alert you to a problem ahead of time. With the CC controller, and to a lessor extent the NAZA I could run up the MR, without props, plugged into my computer and "see" in real time that it was calibrated and that all the switches and control inputs where correct. Often times you'd notice if there was a power issue from the feedback of the controls in the GUI. I couldn't determine the cause of the problem but I could see that I had one and then could research what the cause was.

The last place you want to figure this out is with $3K worth of parts scattered across the cement... If the SuperX proves to be as good as many of us hope, then it will be flying some very expensive equipment so it needs the kind of tools that can assure the pilot that everything is good to go. Its not there yet and there's no money in flying GoPros.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
SuperX doesn't work with 3S?

I'm not saying that the balk box isn't a good thing, however it can't tell you if you have a problem before you take off, good, basic software diagnostic tools can alert you to a problem ahead of time. With the CC controller, and to a lessor extent the NAZA I could run up the MR, without props, plugged into my computer and "see" in real time that it was calibrated and that all the switches and control inputs where correct. Often times you'd notice if there was a power issue from the feedback of the controls in the GUI. I couldn't determine the cause of the problem but I could see that I had one and then could research what the cause was.

The last place you want to figure this out is with $3K worth of parts scattered across the cement... If the SuperX proves to be as good as many of us hope, then it will be flying some very expensive equipment so it needs the kind of tools that can assure the pilot that everything is good to go. Its not there yet and there's no money in flying GoPros.

Yes it works with 3S but not when using it on a vehicle design for 4S like the X650, it's all here in the thread if you care to read!

The rest is subjective and each user has his/hers preferences, so we'll leave it at that, I won't convince you and you won't convince me.

David

Dhardjono

Sorry to disagree with 3s bttery under power the crash was from WRONG NEG TO POSTIVE BEC THAT GOES IN MY GO PRO WHICH FRIED IT DEAD AND WENT TO MY OSD FRIED THAT ONE TO!. As for 3s i been using it since day 1 mix 3 and 4 s i just look at the voltage before it goes to 10 5 i bring it down it actual much lighter for the 650 pro and more maneuverable. I took every one advise using 4s still flip crash i thought it was jammin from that place but it the wrong + / - my oppion only so don't be angry any one .:nevreness:

Av8Chuck

Sorry to disagree with 3s bttery under power the crash was from WRONG NEG TO POSTIVE BEC THAT GOES IN MY GO PRO WHICH FRIED IT DEAD AND WENT TO MY OSD FRIED THAT ONE TO!. As for 3s i been using it since day 1 mix 3 and 4 s i just look at the voltage before it goes to 10 5 i bring it down it actual much lighter for the 650 pro and more maneuverable. I took every one advise using 4s still flip crash i thought it was jammin from that place but it the wrong + / - my oppion only so don't be angry any one .:nevreness:

There's so much more to MR's than just the FC that's why its important to have as many tools to troubleshoot as practicable. Having the ability to test/confirm the operational health of the MR BEFORE flight would probably have helped you get to you conclusion quicker and hopefully before the MR was damaged. Another aspect to flying MR's is attitude, you have about the best attitude towards flying these things as anyone I've read on this forum in quite a while. You'd crash, dust it off, go out and fly it again then share the videos without a great deal of drama and yet after those crashes your MR looks like it flies much better than a lot of the pundits who offered you advice. Way to stick with it.

Yes it works with 3S but not when using it on a vehicle design for 4S like the X650, it's all here in the thread if you care to read!

The rest is subjective and each user has his/hers preferences, so we'll leave it at that, I won't convince you and you won't convince me.

David

Not sure why you think the need for these sort of setup tools is subjective? Nor do I get what it is you think I'm trying to convince people to do? If the tools are available and users choose to disregard them, that's their choice, but the fact that they aren't available will probably effect peoples decision whether to use the SuperX on expensive AP setups. Its hard to argue with success, the black box is certainly a valuable tool, but in Dhardjono's case either the people on this forum who are knowledgeable about reading the data misdiagnosed the problem, the black box didn't detect it or Dhardjono didn't share the data in the first place [and no I'm not going to go back and read this thread] but it appears that for whatever reason the problem was not diagnosed correctly before a flight that resulted in a mishap.

This should not be the case of "if every problem is a nail, then every solution is a hammer [or something like that." Obviously there are a lot of variables to MR's and their users but I'm pretty confident that if I would have reversed the polarity on anything connected to the CC controller it would have been made apparent in the GCS. Also this is not a one thing verses another, this is a feature that has been requested by a good percentage of SuperX users that combined with the black box functionality would certainly lead to increased usage.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Not sure why you think the need for these sort of setup tools is subjective?

Set-up is important, methodology is what I refer to as subjective, by example, placing the vehicle on a work bench without props and starting the motors running them from 0 to 100% thrust operating the sticks and mode switches together with failsafe is all available in the process of setting up my X650.

Powering down and connecting to the computer and in turn connecting to the Black Box then enables me to see not only that switches operated correctly that thrust matched stick movement but I am also able to see if the motors operated in unison, GPS was functional and of course, if there was any vibration issues. Plus i am able to keep that record as a hard copy so that if I make modifications or changes I can readily see the results and compare.

Do I do it before every flight.... of course not! but I do pre-flight inspections and run the motors test the FPV etc before every flight.

As to Daniels issue, If he had a problem with polarity it would be evident at the time of powering the vehicle, and certainly had he undertaken the above process as with the 3S you would need to go back to read the thread, Daniel has many issues most of which could be suggested as pilot error, if the manufacture advises that 4S is the minimum power requirement for their aircraft and the user flies with 3S then trouble is to be expected, once this was pointed out to Daniel and as per his responses, he went to use 4S his problems stopped except for one area next to a major road bridge, only now he states he continued to use 3S and continues to have issues! I wonder why! :dejection:

I hope this clarifies my position on set up procedure, as you have self stated you have minimal experience at this time with Super X I hope I am of some assistance.

David

Last edited by a moderator:

Dhardjono

Set-up is important, methodology is what I refer to as subjective, by example, placing the vehicle on a work bench without props and starting the motors running them from 0 to 100% thrust operating the sticks and mode switches together with failsafe is all available in the process of setting up my X650.

Powering down and connecting to the computer and in turn connecting to the Black Box then enables me to see not only that switches operated correctly that thrust matched stick movement but I am also able to see if the motors operated in unison, GPS was functional and of course, if there was any vibration issues. Plus i am able to keep that record as a hard copy so that if I make modifications or changes I can readily see the results and compare.

Do I do it before every flight.... of course not! but I do pre-flight inspections and run the motors test the FPV etc before every flight.

As to Daniels issue, If he had a problem with polarity it would be evident at the time of powering the vehicle, and certainly had he undertaken the above process as with the 3S you would need to go back to read the thread, Daniel has many issues most of which could be suggested as pilot error, if the manufacture advises that 4S is the minimum power requirement for their aircraft and the user flies with 3S then trouble is to be expected, once this was pointed out to Daniel and as per his responses, he went to use 4S his problems stopped except for one area next to a major road bridge, only now he states he continued to use 3S and continues to have issues! I wonder why! :dejection:

I hope this clarifies my position on set up procedure, as you have self stated you have minimal experience at this time with Super X I hope I am of some assistance.

David

Thanks Chuck for the kind words now i made lots of pilot error first flight i put on manual and crash it and did not do the corrct gps calibration for 1 month i thought i was doing it correctly but not after all that i been using 3s and 4 s combine in one day flight that about 10 battery i do safe all logs and video i can show you when i use 3s and it does not feel under power 4s just has more punch. As for 4s i been going to different location from that place and had no issue till last thursday when it went down. But if you put a neg- pos through the main power harness system it will knock some thing out of whack and it will come and go. But before that reverse NEG-POS i had no problem using either battery just crash into some tree or so doing fpv just after that than those crashes begins. Now i been flying in that place where i think they where jamming me for longer before i got my 650 pro and had no issue. With my arris 650 -phantom I WAS USING FUTABA RADIO but any way don't want to start an argument just got new super x and order the new frame with power and i will go back to where i crash 3 times see what happen with new gear also i want to try stella which i receive with the 650 v4 package deal and i must look for my lost copter which is still in the woods. and that was on 4s battery 4 min into the flight just flip over about 70 feet. :tennis:

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Thanks Chuck for the kind words now i made lots of pilot error first flight i put on manual and crash it and did not do the corrct gps calibration for 1 month i thought i was doing it correctly but not after all that i been using 3s and 4 s combine in one day flight that about 10 battery i do safe all logs and video i can show you when i use 3s and it does not feel under power 4s just has more punch. As for 4s i been going to different location from that place and had no issue till last thursday when it went down. But if you put a neg- pos through the main power harness system it will knock some thing out of whack and it will come and go. But before that reverse NEG-POS i had no problem using either battery just crash into some tree or so doing fpv just after that than those crashes begins. Now i been flying in that place where i think they where jamming me for longer before i got my 650 pro and had no issue. With my arris 650 -phantom I WAS USING FUTABA RADIO but any way don't want to start an argument just got new super x and order the new frame with power and i will go back to where i crash 3 times see what happen with new gear also i want to try stella which i receive with the 650 v4 package deal and i must look for my lost copter which is still in the woods. and that was on 4s battery 4 min into the flight just flip over about 70 feet. :tennis:

Daniel, if your reply was meant for Chuck then don't quote me as he may not read it! if your reply was meant for me, then I cannot add anything to my statement and suggest YOU re-read your previous posts regarding 3S/4S

David

Aerovideo

David

Hey David,

That is a good procedure and to some extent helps the lack of radio inputs in the setup software but you have to admit it's a bit tedious and you would need to remember the sequence of events you went through on your radio while on the bench to compare it to the black box to make sure they all went through.

Much easier procedure and like most other modern FC's is being able to see the radio commands in the setup software. Quick one stop setup :)

With that said, I do love my Super X. I can honestly say it's the best FC I've used.

Paul