XAircraft SuperX - Taranis - X8R

mediaguru

Isn't this well off topic by now? you can always start another thread and save some poor member wading through all this when looking for help with SuperX/Taranis/X8R

X

The topic is SuperX, 8XR, and Taranis... That's the exact setup I have. Seems on topic to me.

Aerovideo

Isn't this well off topic by now? you can always start another thread and save some poor member wading through all this when looking for help with SuperX/Taranis/X8R

X

Oh brother :hopelessness:

Something I had to do to get my ESC's throttle calibrated with my Taranis is to lower the throttle range in the radio to 97/-97 then calibrate the escs. Then put it back to 100/-100 in the radio then my escs would arm when hooked up to the SuperX. Never had to do that before, only on the X8R receivers.

mediaguru

Great progress on my T960 with the SuperX, 8XR, and Taranis TX yesterday.:livid:

After making sure my craft was right side up (yeah, yeah), I did manage to get 5 of 6 esc's throttle calibraded (via the 8XR... on topic). Motor #3 was a no-go. I used my multi-tester and found that the white esc wire had no signal. SO I tied a string to the old esc wires, pulled them out, tied new wires to the string and then pulled new wires through the arm. Brilliant. I resoldered the new wire on the ESC, connected it to the 8XR (on topic), and voila, was able to throttle calibrate the final moder.

Following that, I did a motor test and confirmed that all motors spin up and that they're all spinning the proper direction. Getting exciting:

Next is getting the SuperX setup. Can't wait. Any pointers on the next step would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Congratulations on staying on-topic and solving the issue! :)

Which wire ended up being bad???

which part of the procedure do you need tips for? Sounds like you're just about ready to calibrate your superx and get going...

mediaguru

Congratulations on staying on-topic and solving the issue! :)

Which wire ended up being bad???

which part of the procedure do you need tips for? Sounds like you're just about ready to calibrate your superx and get going...

The white signal lead on ESC #3 was bad. Replaced that and all was good after that.

So now that the motors are all tested, I'm ready to do the SuperX setup. I'll simply follow the manual, but if any have experiences which the manual does not cover well that's what I'm inquiring about. We know how chinese->english manuals can be, and this one certainly has some issues!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The white signal lead on ESC #3 was bad. Replaced that and all was good after that.

So now that the motors are all tested, I'm ready to do the SuperX setup. I'll simply follow the manual, but if any have experiences which the manual does not cover well that's what I'm inquiring about. We know how chinese->english manuals can be, and this one certainly has some issues!

just follow the manual - it's actually really straight forward (comparatively). If you have trouble - hit up the videos by Drew (he has a new video recently) and the folks over at xaircraft UK. Pretty informative and thorough.

mediaguru

My Taranis is not setup at all. I've watched about 100 videos. I can't find a standard listing showing the sbus channels. The only channels set in my TX are 1234 thr, ail, ele, rud. I have no idea what to do next. Brain fried...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
My Taranis is not setup at all. I've watched about 100 videos. I can't find a standard listing showing the sbus channels. The only channels set in my TX are 1234 thr, ail, ele, rud. I have no idea what to do next. Brain fried...

The manual lists the sbus channels very plainly. It will also tell you how to set up all the channels. And I would suggest letting the brain reset before messing with the FC :)

mediaguru

Yeah that's for sure.

I believe I have the FC setup right, hexacopter X setup and so on. The TX is another story.

Ok so hoping I can understand the setup needs. Since I'm using SBUS, channels 1-8 are already setup and the SBUS cable is connected between the 8XR and the X channel of the I/O. I have I/O V2. The manual shows the standard inputs for the I/O, but does not specify what number they are in SBUS.
View attachment 18591
So does #1 start at the bottom at A AILE/Roll or at G Attitude Gain? What is a proper setup for the Taranis-->SBUS-->SuperX?

In other words something like this:

Channel 1: Throttle -> SBUS 1
Channel 2: Yaw -> SBUS 2
Channel 5: GPS ATTI -> SBUS 5 -> Offset X - Switch #X
Channel 6: Gains ->SBUS 6 -> knob #x

Etc...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 7.17.01 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-10 at 7.17.01 AM.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 480

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Just for clarification: sbus doesn't change anything channel assignment wise other than using 1 cable to carry all data for channels 1-8. Once the Tx channels are assigned correctly it's the same as if you were plugging in individual servo cables to the I/O, but it's done internally.

So if you find the page of the manual that describes how to set up the Tx channel assignments, you can follow the Futaba section (it's the top one). I didn't need to reverse (or invert in taranis speak) the sticks. Just set up the assignments as laid out in that section of the superx manual (should be page 10).

I found it easiest to swap the channels around in companion 9x to make it match the superx manual, which is the AETR (ail, elevator, throttle and rudder) standard. But it can be done inside the Tx too.

mediaguru

Ok thanks. There were two different basic configurations listed in the manual, one for Futaba and one for some others. So we setup based on the Futaba. That helps.

How about setting up GPS Atti 3-position switches and such? I think I can figure out how to assign a switch to a channel, but without software like the Naza I don't know what percentage (if any) to set for the offset. And is there a "standard" configuration, as in most people use "x" switch for GPS Atti, and switch "x" for failsafe? Also want to set up gains on one of the knobs.

Regarding companion 9X, I downloaded it (mac version) and when trying to run I was getting some kind of error, like AVRDude executable not found or something like that. Any googling comes up with windows based solutions to the issue, not mac. I'd like to use C9X. Seems like it would be easier to tweak and move channels around.

mediaguru

I found another forum post regarding Companion 9X and the AVRDude executable not found. Looks like I needed to set the firmware to "Open TX for FrSky Taranis" roughly in the middle of the preferences panel. I'm away from my TX (at work) so I will try it later tonight.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I found another forum post regarding Companion 9X and the AVRDude executable not found. Looks like I needed to set the firmware to "Open TX for FrSky Taranis" roughly in the middle of the preferences panel. I'm away from my TX (at work) so I will try it later tonight.

I had a bit of problem on Mac when I first installed - but can't recall what remedied it. You have to install an older version perhaps? Then update? It's been a little while.

as far as the offsets, I have not had any issue with the main switches. The gain knob was a different story - this is from someone who helped me on another forum:

"endpoints are now -20 to +28 with the center at +4. This gives me G values of -120%, 0% and +120%."

mediaguru

Okay been a few days and tonight I finally have a chance to mess with it. I've now (I hope) got the Taranis channels setup properly, or at least close.

I've got channels 1-4 setup as per the futba configuration.

I set channel 5 with a 3 position switch for flight mode.

I set channel 6 as a two position switch for safe mode.

I set channel 7 as a knob so I can adjust the gain.

When I power up the TX and then power up the bird here's what happens.

My 3 position switch does show that it is changing flight modes. I switch it all the way forward and I'm in manual mode. One click to the middle and I'm in att mode. If I switch to GPS mode, the LED goes solid yellow/green and does not blink. I'm guessing that's because I need to calibrate the GPS. I'll do that next.

4 of the 6 ESC's are beeping constantly, about 2 per second.

If I put the sticks (manual or att mode) into motor start up position, motors 3 and 5 will spin up.

Do I need to recalibrate my ESC's?

mediaguru

Ok after some reading, and booting the bird up with my trims set differently I've come to a conclusion:

My escs are not properly calibrated. I think what may happened is that some were calibrated with the trim on one setting and others with another setting. If I change the trims I can get some motors to spin up and not others.

So I need to go through ESC cal again, with trim centered.

The good news though is that it would seem my TX and RX are set up for the most part.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Ok after some reading, and booting the bird up with my trims set differently I've come to a conclusion:

My escs are not properly calibrated. I think what may happened is that some were calibrated with the trim on one setting and others with another setting. If I change the trims I can get some motors to spin up and not others.

So I need to go through ESC cal again, with trim centered.

The good news though is that it would seem my TX and RX are set up for the most part.

thats great that you got the radio all set. The constant beeping is the issue I had. Never worked it out. Try recal with trims all the same.

mediaguru

I "think" I'm making progress. My guess may have been right that all escs were not calibrated the same. I just went through and recalibrated all of them. Total pain to unhook the motor leads and the FC etc...

So after the whole process powering up the bird now results in this behavior on five of the six motors: I get the six beeps indicating the number of lipo cells, then no beeps. Enabling startup of the motors spins the five motors up!

Motor #1 is the lone problem. Once powered up this one beeps very fast constantly. A look at the paper manual for the escs reads that fast continuous beeping of .25 second intervals means the throttle stick is not in the (bottom) lowest position.

Here's what I theorize. I've noticed on my Taranis that sometimes putting a stick at +100 or -100 isn't exactly the number. Sometimes -100 is actually something like -99.6 or something like that. I'm guessing that when I throttle calibrated that one, the stick didn't go all the way down to -100%. Tomorrow I'll recal that one..

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Make sure you have done the taranis stick calibration. I don't believe this is your issue, but it should be done anyway.