XAircraft SuperX on heavy lifter

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
+1 on the Taranis. I don't think it can be beat for the functionality and cost. I'm still sitting on a Taranis Plus, haven't even messed with it yet, because my older version (with the last firmware) works great.

Dylan M

Which Switch...
I can throw another positive vote for FrSky 9xD and SuperX. The telemetry is amazing, it is the reason I was able to get away from all Futaba... Well that and overall cost. Built in RSSI is worth it alone...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Tundra uses a nicer telemetry piece that a tad more expensive, but I may upgrade to. But so far I've been running all the telemetry I need for less than the cost of a single Futaba telemetry module :)

Ross Mackay

Thanks, for the replies @fltundra @Motopreserve and @Dylan M. I did a little research last night on the build quality and components etc and they do look well finished with a lot of functions. It seems a little old school to not be able to map VR knob to any channel. I even had to set up a crazy p-mix to run the throttle on CH7 through for my NAZA FC just so the fail safe would work with a lost signal on the T7C!

Which telemetry unit do you use @fltundra?

Thanks

Ross Mackay

Just wondering if anyone is still out there using the SuperX? I have had good success with it so far but Xaircraft have all dropped from the face of the earth?! The SuperX isn't even on the products page anymore? Is there anybody out there still flying it for heavy lift stuff at the moment? From what I can gather its still the best option for this heavy lift application - aside from MK but it comes with its own challenges. I have an order of the A3 sitting and waiting on my decision - pending its flight characteristics in the X8 config, its not looking great from initial tests... @fltundra @kloner @Motopreserve what FC are you folks using now? Thanks, Ross.

mediaguru

I still have one. Have not flown in since last year but it is still in operation. I've asked this question and the responses were that the SX is a goner.

fpmurphy

I temporarily switched to a WKM for a heavy lift x8 and hated it. Way less stable than the SuperX. It's amazing that nothing as stable or smooth has come out for x8 copters. It looks like the A3 has the same problems as the A2 for initial x8 users. Hopefully they'll release a firmware update to address the issues, but that doesn't seem likely coming from DJI.

Ross Mackay

I temporarily switched to a WKM for a heavy lift x8 and hated it. Way less stable than the SuperX. It's amazing that nothing as stable or smooth has come out for x8 copters. It looks like the A3 has the same problems as the A2 for initial x8 users. Hopefully they'll release a firmware update to address the issues, but that doesn't seem likely coming from DJI.
  1. Thanks @fpmurphy and @mediaguru for the replies, yes I too switched to WKM and had 1 short successful flight and a 2nd flight that ended in a crash... so promptly sold it. It seems with WKM its either really good or really bad depending on the FC you ended up with. The A3 looks promising (they had even changed the mix to the same as SX) with the triple redundancy etc which is looking more and more likely for commercial users. Also I am running gremsy on my big machine which now has CANbus/GPS support for DJI FC's. At the moment it might be better to keep the SX on and run a NAZA V2 along side to have the GPS info for the gimbal. @fpmurphy what are you flying regularly now? Ross.

fpmurphy

I'm flying the SuperX on my main copter. It's a Falcon Drones frame, Vulcan UAV arms, KDE 4014's and 55A ESCs. I typically fly with a Movi M5 and a GH4. I also have a larger Phobotic gimbal to lift Reds and Arris.

Ross Mackay

I'm flying the SuperX on my main copter. It's a Falcon Drones frame, Vulcan UAV arms, KDE 4014's and 55A ESCs. I typically fly with a Movi M5 and a GH4. I also have a larger Phobotic gimbal to lift Reds and Arris.

Nice are you using the SX regularly also? I have mine running T motor 2826 550kv 40A plush (soon to be 4120 465KV, T60a Esc) Gremsy H3, Sony A7sii (and hope to be H16) it's just the DJI CANlink that I really want, without having to run 2 x FC on copter.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Be careful with SuperX... I was a HUGE supporter of the SuperX but out of my 6 units 3 have "gone bad". Two randomly yaw at 100 MPH with no ability to control it and one has a 20 deg drift to the right. I am able to put these units on different machines and repeat the problems.Aall 3 have had hundreds of perfect flights, no crashes and then BAM.. one day it stops working. Pretty annoying.

Also, funny enough I was jut hipped to the fact that the last update they did to the Naza 2 was REALLY good. I too was like "so what, it's a Naza..." But because a friend I trust told me to try one again, I did.

No joke... it's REALLY good. On an X8 the Naza 2 will fly for a mile with no atti drop... and because of this, a few guy who work with a major (like HUGE) aerial company that spans the globe are flying all they coax machines on Naza 2's. I'm talking NOn0US legal 75-100 lb rigs on a Naza 2. Give it a try.. it's surprisingly good.

fpmurphy

That's interesting! I might have to give the Naza a try. Better than the SuperX? Just the most recent firmware? Any custom mixing? (Not sure if that's even an option with Naza)

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
That's interesting! I might have to give the Naza a try. Better than the SuperX? Just the most recent firmware? Any custom mixing? (Not sure if that's even an option with Naza)

The SuperX is still smoother (especially in wind) but I don;t trust them now. The fact that 3 failed all in the same month and I had bought them and installed them (about 3 years ago) makes me think the chips have an expiration date. Nothing worse than going to fly a rig that has been rock solid and you lift off and it just spins, and I mean fast!

Same rig with the Naza 2 put on took off (with stock S900 settings even though it's an X8) and was smooth as glass.

The Naza 2 still has a little "fight" in high wind, but the ability to move forward and not lose altitude seems to make up for it.
And since X Aircraft seems like they are Dead here in the US, I can't get service for my SuperX's.. so the Naza 2 is a decent option for now.

I'm waiting on the XNAV from Ziv... that should be a game changer (expensive) but a game changer. triple redundancy, autonomous flight INDOORS... weather resistant... it's the real deal.

Ross Mackay

The SuperX is still smoother (especially in wind) but I don;t trust them now. The fact that 3 failed all in the same month and I had bought them and installed them (about 3 years ago) makes me think the chips have an expiration date. Nothing worse than going to fly a rig that has been rock solid and you lift off and it just spins, and I mean fast!

Same rig with the Naza 2 put on took off (with stock S900 settings even though it's an X8) and was smooth as glass.

The Naza 2 still has a little "fight" in high wind, but the ability to move forward and not lose altitude seems to make up for it.
And since X Aircraft seems like they are Dead here in the US, I can't get service for my SuperX's.. so the Naza 2 is a decent option for now.

I'm waiting on the XNAV from Ziv... that should be a game changer (expensive) but a game changer. triple redundancy, autonomous flight INDOORS... weather resistant... it's the real deal.

Wow @SleepyC you were a huge proponent of SX and you are part of the reason why I headed down that road in the first place. I have used NAZA V2 for 3 years prior to getting SX and had nothing but good times with it. I just figured it wasn't really for the big machines. What weights are the machines that you are flying them on currently? My AUW will be between 9-13kg do you think NAZA V2 will be ok in this weight range?? XNav sounds interesting.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
The Hex is 9Kg, the X8 is 10-12Kg. The guys I know flying LARGE X8's on it are in the 43kg range on a Naza 2. (They are not in the US so weight is not an issue)

I WAS a HUGE SuperX proponent. Loved them.. still love how they fly, but I take care of my stuff and the fact that 3 out of 6 are dead after 3 years for no reason, and a few buds like Steve from Aerial Mob had the same problems has turned me off.. Really bummed.
I still like the A2 as well, but for a cheap system. the Naza V2 seems to be OK now.

Ross Mackay

The Hex is 9Kg, the X8 is 10-12Kg. The guys I know flying LARGE X8's on it are in the 43kg range on a Naza 2. (They are not in the US so weight is not an issue)

I WAS a HUGE SuperX proponent. Loved them.. still love how they fly, but I take care of my stuff and the fact that 3 out of 6 are dead after 3 years for no reason, and a few buds like Steve from Aerial Mob had the same problems has turned me off.. Really bummed.
I still like the A2 as well, but for a cheap system. the Naza V2 seems to be OK now.
Thanks for getting back to me that's heavy enough for me!, so are you flying RED, 5D3, GH4, A7sii and the like? Are you still on Gremsy also? Might have to give it a whirl. I am after the CANlink data for gremsy, I had just written off NAZA as being for light weight copters.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have a couple x8's around 850mm with auw of 20lbs. Have run Naza V2 on one for ever with no issues. Like it better than the other FC's I've tried on the other. Lately hasn't handled as well in wind, but probably needs some tuning.

I fly gh3, gh4, & BlackMagicMicro (which is now my favorite as I can control lots of the functions via my radio and it's the best dynamic range of anything I own..).

I've been spoiled by the HD footage while flying on my Inspire and think it's time to upgrade my std def to high def on on eo the x8's.

Two main choices as I see it, on Naza V2 x8, go with Amimon Connex Wirelss HD at 3300ft transmitting or on 2nd x8, consider an A3 with Lightbridge 2 and if works good consider buying an x5 for both my Inspire and flying on the x8. I could get some serious air time on the x8 with the x5 when I want to stay air born longer.

Other than having to wait to see how buggy A3 is, does anyone have experience with the Connex in regards to drops outs etc.? On my Inspires, I have a pretty steady HD image to watch. Maybe one or 2 drops outs in a year.

As to the SuperX's I have an x8 pro and quad sitting if anybody wants them. Power modules seem to be bad and one GPS is probably bad.