Sun up flights. Do you charge your batteries the night before?

I'm curious to what you guys are doing for battery charging when you fly sunrise sessions are you charging your batteries super early in the morning or are you charging them the night before?

I am hesitant to charge them the night before just don't want to go to sleep with a fully charged pack or even worse packs...

Looking for advice and feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I charge the night before, always. My packs are practically charged all the time as the jobs just seem to be unending at the moment. When they come in they are usually short notice. Example, I got a call yesterday from a production company and did the shoot today.

Leaving them charged for long periods of more than a couple of days I try to avoid. My packs are exactly the same as the day I bought them 1 year ago so I guess it depends on the brand. I use GensAce. I know Zaxis has a few GensAce that are 18 months old and they are exactly the same as the day he bought them.

Over discharging is the big no-no. Leaving charged is fine.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I read a paper on Lipos (I'll post it if I can find it) that listed specific "damage" rates for different storage scenarios. While it stated various percentages of loss for leaving batteries fully charged, it was ticking off more in terms of a month rather than days. What surprised me was when they showed that leaving batteries at room temp was more damaging than I expected.

This paper would left me confident to store batteries over night (at least), like Benjamin has said.

If you are going to store them for a longer period of time, lower them to storage level and put them in the refrigerator (burn bag at least).

Benjamin Kenobi

Ooh, please find that paper if you can. I hadn't considered the room temperature thing. I keep them in an ammo tin which seems to also keep them cool.

Great topic so far guys!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Ooh, please find that paper if you can. I hadn't considered the room temperature thing. I keep them in an ammo tin which seems to also keep them cool.

Great topic so far guys!

sorry, I know that was "I have the best story... Oh forget it." :)

ill find it. The temp was big.

I built a sand bunker. Burn bags go inside instead of the small cardboard here. The plastic will melt but the sand will another in the end....I hope!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Here you go:

i found this this by listening to a podcast that linked it in the show section. They spoke more about the specifics of temp. Vs storage voltage. This has a bunch if info though.

Attachments

• LipoStorageTips.pdf
    90 KB · Views: 238
Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Great article. So you could leave them charged for one year at room temperature and get a 20% loss. Not bad considering people talk about leaving them charged for one day and freak out.

Luckily in England 25°C is the height of the summer (during the middle of the day anyway) so not so much of a problem. :tennis:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Great article. So you could leave them charged for one year at room temperature and get a 20% loss. Not bad considering people talk about leaving them charged for one day and freak out.

Luckily in England 25°C is the height of the summer (during the middle of the day anyway) so not so much of a problem. :tennis:

i was relieved as well. Honestly, the burst into flames issue is what always worried me more. But especially after reading this - I felt more confident leaving them charged for a bit. Especially with the weather we had this winter, I wanted to be able to head outdoors at a moments notice between snowstorms. :)