Massive range problem

Fat Corgi

Hello All, I have a new dji f550 that is my first venture into multi rotors after a long time in single-rotors. I have built it with the NAZA M V2 and a Zenmuse HD-2D, running 4S 5000mAh pack. Yesterday was the first time that I have tried to fly it at any great distance. However after about 30-40m the failsafes kick in and it begins to return to home. I am using a Futaba 14SG and a R6303SB rx, and would love any hints or tip people have on antenna and rx placement, general component layout, and whether you have had a similar issue in the past. I have got a ImmersionRC A/V tx on board as well, but have disconnected it to see if it was it that was interfering with the GPS (they both run on 5.8gHz), and the issue was still present. Thanks in advance,T

Last edited by a moderator:

jes1111

Probably best to show some pictures - particularly the position of your Rx and the Rx antennae. Have you tried a range check on the ground?

Fat Corgi

Here you go. The PMU sits on the top deck with the GPS. 1 RX antenna hangs out the bottom, and the other out the side.
View attachment 17051

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 349

Stacky

A couple of years ago I lent a radio to a friend. Somehow during that time he lost the aerial for the radio so put a replacement on it. I ended up with a fly away and discovered later that day that he had put a male aerial connector to the male radio connection meaning there was no completed signal connection. A long shot but unscrew ( if it does) the radio aerial to make sure that its the correct connector.

For what it is worth I have mine right at the edge pointing out and one of the aerials running along the inside of each arm. The carbon fiber frame will block allot of signal. Definitely do a range check.

Fat Corgi

Could the wireless from the gopro have an effect?

Where does everyone else have their rx and antenna positioned?

Yeah i have heard DON'T run the gopro wireless it will interfere. To be honest I have on a couple of occasions with no issue. The Futaba system "should" be able to work in conjunction with it but the general consensuses is just dont risk it.... so I have stopped doing it. I think majority of the issues were with the Phantoms and their stock TX's which dont have diversity etc.

Fat Corgi

Component Layout

Anybody have pictures of their component layouts that they would be willing to share?
Thanks guys
T

jes1111

I reckon you'll have to do a standard "process of elimination" exercise. Start by taking the receiver off the craft and do a ground range check (just driving a single servo, for example). If that's okay, then put it back on the craft - but with all unnecessary units/wiring removed.... then add stuff back one at a time, etc. etc. until you PROVE what the problem is.

Fat Corgi

The "fence range" is still set to default, so I don't think that will be it. I am waiting for a set of the Aeroxcraft landing gear then I will re do the layout. In the meantime I will do as jes1111 suggests and start with a basic ground range check and see how we go from there.

Fat Corgi

So it turns out I had a short. The lower plate which acts as the PDB for the DJI F550 had some paint removed in one area, exposing some of the inlaid copper. This was causing havoc with the receiver. Replaced the plate, and now I can now fly further than a couple of meters away. Yay :nevreness:

Glad you resolved this issue. However I recall reading somewhere, i.e., DJI or the Futaba documentation that the Receiver needs to be placed underneath and away from other components. So I located mine in between the top and bottom plate with the antennas hanging out the back of the MR. I get a range in excess of 2000 feet.