Sony CX760, Still going strong?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
For those of you that have been flying a Sony CX760, are you still happy with it? Still using it?

Any problems with HDMI converters?

Thanks,
Bart

tombrown1

For those of you that have been flying a Sony CX760, are you still happy with it? Still using it?

Any problems with HDMI converters?

Thanks,
Bart

Absolutely love mine. You need to have solid roll stabilization though, as it doesn't stabilize that.

AVCHD is a bit limited unfortunately in its bit rate. The GH3 gives a better picture, but doesn't have the stabilization.

The best part about it is that servo stab on tilt and yaw is more than good enough even with low gains. The camera works the rest out.

It might still be worth it to use brushless on roll though.

No problem with my HDMI converter.

Best,

Tom

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Bart, Ill sell you mine with the remote LANC. I never ended up using it. i truthfully will probably sell everything as I am not using anything these days. If I do get jobs they seem to be risky or last minute or I cant lift their camera, etc...... i think I'm out of the game for a while. Especially after hearing my local friend is being pointed out by the FAA. Of course this all depends what i get. i actually have a 2 year replacement plan from BH as well. I flew it once! And the picture is surprisingly sharp. I think it would be hard to tell the difference between this and another H.264 camera. Yes, not as much control, but doesnt seem to need it. Part of the real reason behind me getting this was to fly with it in the real helicopter. but right after buying it my friend sold his R44.

Bartman

Hey Yuri, Sorry to hear that about the R44, that sounded like it had a lot of potential. Shoot me a PM about the camera when you have time. Part of the reason though as to why I'm looking at it again is that I have about $400 in Sony credit from my credit card so that, combined with points from the purchase, would bring my cost down below $600.

If you really want to unload it though I'm sure someone would grab it from the classifieds if I can't take it off your hands.

Regards,
Bart

Bartman

what other cameras do you already have?

Kloner

I've got my Canon T2i and a Sony NEX5N. I'm also working with an area cameraman to fly his 5D and Scarlet although I'd use the Sony CX for smaller projects like real estate and stuff.

Bart

kloner

Aerial DP
gotcha...... if it was me, and doesn't help with the sony credit but the only camera you need is a gh3......... sell off everything else. our nex's moved to ground duty to record us flying gh3

Bartman

gotcha...... if it was me, and doesn't help with the sony credit but the only camera you need is a gh3......... sell off everything else. our nex's moved to ground duty to record us flying gh3

Steve,

I've actually considered that. Now that I've got the KW converter in hand (ten actually, in the shop :) ) I'm trying to work it into my rigs but I'm not quite there yet.

I'm prototyping a commercial quality brushless gimbal for the NEX in the coming weeks (parts are expected from the shop next week), if all goes well maybe the GH3 will be next.

Regards,
Bart

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm not looking to give it away so maybe best I just keep it. It has about 20 minutes of use on it. I agree with Steve, the Gh3 seems to be the best of all worlds for aerials. But I dont think its superior to any of these others. The nex5n is still my fav since it is cheap and light weight.

Bartman

i started shopping around for a CX760 this morning only to find out they've been discontinued. the new version, PJ760 is $500 more and has a projector built into it. hooray (not), a built in projector.

the CX580 is still available but the lens is of lesser quality, i'm not sure it would matter for what i intend to do with it but i'm pissed nonetheless.

:(

Bowley

I've been looking at the CX410 still available at a good price, also using Balanced Optical Steady Shot.

Bartman

the specs seem identical to the CX580 but more expensive. the 580 has less ability to zoom but that's not something that would matter as much with an aerial video camera.

hmmm, maybe it'll have to be the CX580.

the PJ650 seems to be identical to the CX580 but with the projector. i wonder if the boss firmware is different enough to make it a worthwhile upgrade?

can the firmware in these camera be updated?

KopterVision

Catch the vision
Still using. Still works even after a "hard landing" (ahem..). I subsequently added LANC. The connection is a bit loose and I lose video occasionally when tilting, but I love the zoom. Set it right and you can combine a slow zoom out with a tilt up for the big reveal.

Bartman

Still using. Still works even after a "hard landing" (ahem..). I subsequently added LANC. The connection is a bit loose and I lose video occasionally when tilting, but I love the zoom. Set it right and you can combine a slow zoom out with a tilt up for the big reveal.

thanks for the update. have you tried to update firmware? is it even an issue?

Bartman

just bought the CX580 from B&H, regularly $799 with an instant $250 rebate and my approximately $400 of Sony points. bought the 2 yr "spills and falls" insurance just in case ;)

grabbed a GoPro also as my mount has a spot for it to ride along with whatever else is on the main mounting spot.

Thanks for the input, can't wait to give it a try.
Bart