Sony A6300 Camera Discussion

violetwolf

Hi Helge, For "Tethering" It looks like you can use the included micro USB cable (too short though lol) (or any USB cable with micro on one end and standard on the other) to connect to your computer. But you must download the remote control software to both your camera and your computer from the sony apps store. Here is a video on setting up Sony Alpha cameras in general but applies to the A6300 as well: (Note he posts links in the comments section on youtube so you may want to click through to YT):

I presume you want to use your laptop and the the tethering option in the field to setup the camera while on the drone? This seems like a good idea. Just plug in the usb cable rather than crawl on the ground haha. I will borrow your idea too ;) I had not even thought about the tether being of use to us.

violetwolf

I will update my post above regarding getting Composite Video (AV) out of the MultiPort for video down-link. A very exhaustive search of the web last night turned up nothing. I did find one reference that said composite video is not supported on the A6300 so I am fairly confident that is correct. No native AV out on the MultiPort on this model. HDMI converters will be the only option (which is fine as it will be higher quality image anyway.) I have some ideas and have found a unit that has HDMI inputs. I will post more about that one after some more research today.

Here is a video on setting up Sony Alpha cameras in general but applies to the A6300 as well: (Note he posts links in the comments section on youtube so you may want to click through to YT):

Thanks for the hint but this is about tethering of single still shots by showing them after they have been saved and transferred to the PC.

What I am looking for is live view through USB like RCCDroid supports it (on Android) which seems to be an undocumented feature of Sony cameras when connected through the PTP / MTP protocol.

violetwolf

Helge, I used the "DSLR Controller" on android for my Canon 5D it has full live view over USB but not sure if it will work on the Sony. I will try when I get home from the studio later tonight..

That said I am wondering if this might be a no-go due to the camera not having composite video out on the USB socket. (This is the ultimate question.)

Originally my thinking was that I would simply use the iPhone app for this over WiFi while on the ground and shut it off to fly. Helge do you set the WiFi to "Airplane Mode" to fly?

NOTE: I found this update on the RCCDroid website: Liveview für A7S, A7II and A77II is possible now !

My guess is there is still a composite AV physical connection at the USB socket but is firmware dependent... All the "a" series cameras share similarities in the firmware so I'll hold hope that it's working, or will be..

@KopterKraft.com have you had any issue overheating the A6300 when shooting video?

No, flight times are only about 15 minutes with my setup and there is enough cooling during the flight :)

Between the flights there is enough time for the camera to cool down.

Helge do you set the WiFi to "Airplane Mode" to fly?

Yes, I try to avoid any other radio communication especially on 2.4 GHz on the aircraft.

NOTE: I found this update on the RCCDroid website: Liveview für A7S, A7II and A77II is possible now !

My guess is there is still a composite AV physical connection at the USB socket but is firmware dependent... All the "a" series cameras share similarities in the firmware so I'll hold hope that it's working, or will be..

Correct, RCCDroid supports live view via USB on the A6300 (they were in contact with me in order to test that) but they use an undocumented feature of the USB protocol (which has nothing to do with composite A/V). If I needed only that functionality, RCCDroid would be fine for me but I need to integrate the USB live view into another android app, that I develop by myself.

violetwolf

Correct, RCCDroid supports live view via USB on the A6300 (they were in contact with me in order to test that) but they use an undocumented feature of the USB protocol (which has nothing to do with composite A/V). If I needed only that functionality, RCCDroid would be fine for me but I need to integrate the USB live view into another android app, that I develop by myself.

Interested in hearing about your app Helge if you are able to say anything at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:

violetwolf

They just posted this in the FAQ section of the RCCDroid website. It looks like we are indeed supported for live view over USB on their app. This is wonderful news. I will go ahead and buy a copy at some point today and report back:

As we started to develop RCCDroid, no Sony Alpha was able to display real liveview via USB. What we called 'Semi-Liveview', was the ability to transfer the taken picture to an Android display.

Since then some of the Sony cameras have the option to transfer liveview data over USB, so that our app is able to show it on display (real liveview). This function is documented for A7S, A7II, A77II and A6300. We assume, that all newer models will have this option as well, but for now (status April 08. 2016) we do not really know, because we do not own A7SII.

UPDATE: I installed the RCCDroid app and tested it out last night. The Live-View is displayed pretty small and quite pixelated. It can be expanded but becomes very pixelated, and the light metering does not display on the app. Aperture and f-stop can be set. In a pinch it would be a useful app, but honestly if I'm bending down to plug in the USB cable I would rather just setup the camera directly and not have to deal with the extra items on the field. This is the way I have always done it even though I have camera apps for my Canon so no big deal.

Carcara

Hello, I am also looking to buy a new camera, and have been researching something on this weight range. One doubt I still have is what would be a better buy between A6300 and Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera. One has 4k and the other offers ProRes. What do the production houses you work with prefer as media format: AVCHD or Apple ProRes? Would this be a deciding factor? I understand the micro four thirds mount isn't as popular, but one could get a metabones adapter for it.

Carcara

Here are some test footages on youtube for the BM Micro Cinema Camera:

Short version of my personal opinion (and I know the BM people do not like to hear that...) is:
The 4K footage from the Sony A7S / A7SII / A7RII and A6300 is perferrable - especially, if you want to process it in 1080p afterwards.
Beside that you have much higher resolution for stills, better automatic functions (if you do not want to control every bit and piece manually during the fight).

There is also a long version going into details of ProRes-efficiency, options to gain 10 bit footage when downscaling the 8 bit 4K footage to 1080p etc. but we are not in a video / photo forum here...;)

violetwolf

This is the Aerial Photography and Video section so always feel free to "geek out" :)

violetwolf

Anyone found any 16mm Lens Options other than the Sony pancake? I'll probably go that route, but open to options... There seems to be fairly limited choices.

oschefer

Ok so I wimped out and went to the GH4 :( Still gonna continue to follow this thread. The fact that I changed probably means the A6300 will be a way better camera in the end to make me regret my decision....

Noting bad about the A6300 it might be the way to go and the better camera in the end. Main reason I changed was there is there just more info out on the GH4.... so was the easy route not necessarily the better route.

I did however find a setup for the hdmi out on the GH4 that I thing would work fine on the A6300 so thought I would share.

I got this from amazon, a 1ft micro hdmi to hdmi cable. Straight connector so the direction on the A6300 should be good. as long as your gimbal has the width to go straight out.
http://www.amazon.com/BuyCheapCable...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I then got the hdmi to av converter from aerialpixels. they claimed it didn't need power but I couldn't get it to work with out powering it from the mini usb. To fix that I took a mini usb from my PC, cut it and in the harness is a tiny red and black wire (5 volt and ground). I tied them to the 5V out of the video TX and the ground. Once I did that the board had power and converted the hdmi out of the camera to the composite to feed the video tx. Frankly I would but a hdmi2av converter from amazon like this http://www.amazon.com/1080P-HDMI2AV...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 its alot cheaper. I actually got one as well so need to test it. there are alot on amazon that look the same but the guts are a bit different. I think this one will work.

for a screen on the ground I have been using the 7" lilliputs on amazon with built in receivers. just check you get a video tx that has overlapping channels with the receiver in the monitor.

Hope this helps,
Owen

violetwolf

Thanks for the update Owen. Most appreciated. Is this the one you bought?
HDMI-to-AV-Converter-Version-2-Supports-1080P-300x300.jpg

https://aerialpixels.com/shop/audio...s/hdmi-av-converter-version-2-supports-1080p/

In chat with them they say it's only 480i output on the video side. I have been searching for something that will do 720i as that is the resolution of our Lilliput type monitors, but have found nothing. It's not the end of the world, I have been using 480 for the last few years with my Canon but was hoping things had come along.

violetwolf

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 455

oschefer

Thanks for the update Owen. Most appreciated. Is this the one you bought?
HDMI-to-AV-Converter-Version-2-Supports-1080P-300x300.jpg

https://aerialpixels.com/shop/audio...s/hdmi-av-converter-version-2-supports-1080p/

In chat with them they say it's only 480i output on the video side. I have been searching for something that will do 720i as that is the resolution of our Lilliput type monitors, but have found nothing. It's not the end of the world, I have been using 480 for the last few years with my Canon but was hoping things had come along.

It is however th picture is different than the actual. they say the new version is different. here is a pic of the new one. You will notice it is very similar to the 'white box' and even says HDMI2AV on it...

You'll also notice it has the NSTC//PAL switch, the mini usb. and also has the spots on the board where the audio L and R would have been.

Owen

Attachments

• HDMI2AVFromAerialPixles.jpg
    HDMI2AVFromAerialPixles.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 418

oschefer

For the cheaper ebay/amazon Chinese "white box" ones we should get the ones with the bigger chipset for slightly better resolution on the input side. But they still only do 480i on the AV output side.
Ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-1080p-...omposite-Adapter-Converter-HDTV-/151565644956

And yes we may need to power them through the USB port if the camera doesn't have 5v on the hdmi.

View attachment 27929
I had to power the aerial pixels one to get it to work. I have the amazon one I posted but have nto tested it yet. I would be willing to bet it is fine as it is the one with the bigger chips. Yeah not all the 'white boxes' are equal. My guess is the big chip ones will work when powered and are alot cheaper, and I had to power the aerialpixels one anyway. I contacted aerialpixels and the only reply I got was that I didn't need to power it and they test them all with GH4s before shipping, they said I could send it bact to them to be retested but I didnt bother since I got it working. Is it possible that some hdmi cables carry power and others do not???

violetwolf

Is it possible that some hdmi cables carry power and others do not???

I'll bet you are right on that one.

Have you run your rig to test it yet? I'm wondering how the picture quality is?

Yes, on the "similarities" between the Aerial P one, and the white box one. That is typical of them. :rolleyes:o_O

I think I will buy one of the White Box ones with the bigger chip and test that out.

oschefer

I'll bet you are right on that one.

Have you run your rig to test it yet? I'm wondering how the picture quality is?

Yes, on the "similarities" between the Aerial P one, and the white box one. That is typical of them. :rolleyes:o_O

I think I will buy one of the White Box ones with the bigger chip and test that out.

I have run it and was very happy. I an thought the picture on the liliput screen was fine. However we were really relying on the camera to focus and using it to target. I don't have anyway to manually focus in teh air, play with iso or other settigns remotely. I am not sure what resolution the video tx can accept. I think my monitor has an option for screen capture. I'll see if I can capture a frame to send along with the actual pictre we take and you can compare teh two. At work now will try that tonight.

The screen I use is this one - http://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-664-...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

The video transmitter is a cricket from RMRC - http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_30_33&products_id=5192