SkyJib Octocopter for Filmmaking with RED Epic

DCDK

We did not test castle light and plush but i am almost shure 40 amps is not enough iff you fly on a hot day and you have a lot off payload.

What I don't get is why the motor is rated with 20A when you in fact need 60A?

Is the KW60E compatible with the HoverflyPRO Blackboard?

Cheers
David

Lanzar

As i said there will be a lot off things you wont understand until you are fully familiar with multirotor world and why thigs are not as they seem.
ESC are build for airplaines and because off that they are never used in flight with 50% or more for a 9 minute do 12 minute duration. Planes are flown diferently from Multirotors.
And motor is not 20amp but 30 amp to 50 in extreme condition.

I think i have said enough. There is a lot off knowhow in this bussiness that we perfected with actually trying stuff out and even had a crash or 2 because we taught it was good and in fact it was not.

Is the KW60E compatible with the HoverflyPRO Blackboard?

Cheers
David

DCDK

As i said there will be a lot off things you wont understand until you are fully familiar with multirotor world and why thigs are not as they seem.
ESC are build for airplaines and because off that they are never used in flight with 50% or more for a 9 minute do 12 minute duration. Planes are flown diferently from Multirotors.
And motor is not 20amp but 30 amp to 50 in extreme condition.

I think i have said enough. There is a lot off knowhow in this bussiness that we perfected with actually trying stuff out and even had a crash or 2 because we taught it was good and in fact it was not.

Hi Lanzar,

do you work for Kopterworx? Anyway, it doesn't matter how a motor is used (at least it shouldn't matter). That's why there are distinct information about the requirements of a motor. I may not be familiar with octocopters, but I'm familiar enough with other electronics to read those information.

The spec sheet for the KW10 Pro states:

• Continuous current: 20A
  • Maximum load current. (180 sec): 30A, 50A for 15 sec

So using a 40A continuous ESC that can do for 60A for 10sec should be enough, if my math is not wrong.

For you having said enough... if you don't work for Kopterworx, that's fair enough. But if you do, you should also be able to answer the question I asked whether the KW60e works with the HoverflyPRO Blackboard or not.

Cheers
David

Lanzar

Sorry missed the question regarding hooverfly. I would say 99.9% they work with hooverfly but we have not test them so for now we test them with dji only. Since hooverfly is not something we fly with. For now we fly with MK and DJI only. Now since it is winter i will make one hexa for test with hooverfly when i find time to do it.
As for 40 amp esc (40amps is ussually maximum load for 30 sec, depends on who made them and what spec they offer) If you fell that you will be safe with 40 amps then go for it. From my experience all manufacturers need to have 20% reserve in all components and i feel much better if i have 60 amp esc for 60 amp motor just in case. Since i have seen esc shutdown and kopter going to the ground cause the esc was declarated 30amp and motor was declarated 20 amp but due to 30+ celsius temp outside and more than 10 min flight temps went far above 80 deg. It was a test and we lost 2 motors cause off esc shutdown. I started to work again once it cooled down under 80 deg.
Yes i work for kopterworx. Yes it matters on how the motor is used that is why if you would read on motors you would see that they give specification on motors for different models. Like airplain, 3d model, multirotor, multirotor 3d, ... Since the avarage power over 1 flight is different and so is the power and heat and cooling needed....
I can say black is not black and white is not white in this case. A lot off externall factors has to be included. Othervise you will end with a total crash.
If you think i did not help you enough write me email and we will discuss it there. dejan@kopterworx.com

Lanzar

Hi Lanzar,

do you work for Kopterworx? Anyway, it doesn't matter how a motor is used (at least it shouldn't matter). That's why there are distinct information about the requirements of a motor. I may not be familiar with octocopters, but I'm familiar enough with other electronics to read those information.

The spec sheet for the KW10 Pro states:

• Continuous current: 20A
  • Maximum load current. (180 sec): 30A, 50A for 15 sec

So using a 40A continuous ESC that can do for 60A for 10sec should be enough, if my math is not wrong.

For you having said enough... if you don't work for Kopterworx, that's fair enough. But if you do, you should also be able to answer the question I asked whether the KW60e works with the HoverflyPRO Blackboard or not.

Cheers
David

DCDK

Sorry missed the question regarding hooverfly. I would say 99.9% they work with hooverfly but we have not test them so for now we test them with dji only. Since hooverfly is not something we fly with. For now we fly with MK and DJI only. Now since it is winter i will make one hexa for test with hooverfly when i find time to do it.
As for 40 amp esc (40amps is ussually maximum load for 30 sec, depends on who made them and what spec they offer) If you fell that you will be safe with 40 amps then go for it. From my experience all manufacturers need to have 20% reserve in all components and i feel much better if i have 60 amp esc for 60 amp motor just in case. Since i have seen esc shutdown and kopter going to the ground cause the esc was declarated 30amp and motor was declarated 20 amp but due to 30+ celsius temp outside and more than 10 min flight temps went far above 80 deg. It was a test and we lost 2 motors cause off esc shutdown. I started to work again once it cooled down under 80 deg.

Thank you for your reply. I guess I'll go with ESCs that are tested with the HoverflyPRO. Still, I would be very interested to know how your KW60e work with the Hoverfly, in the unfortunate case that I have to replace the other ESCs. So please keep me informed how the test goes kellermann@a-better-truth.com

Cheers
David

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I surely agree with you Boris, but let's get on with the fact that public forums are intended for novice mostly.

I think this is completely untrue. Forums are for people who are looking for answers, real information, no matter what level they are operating at, beginner or expert. I find the only people who don't use forums are know-it-alls and self-proclaimed experts. People who think they could never learn anything from somebody else because they already know everything there is to know.

Some of the highest quality of information, research and development is done through collaboration on forums.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer

There is a real answer to this besides all the hand waviness you see most of the time from "experts". The real reason is the "freewheeling current", or more specifically the voltage drop across the body diodes within each FET on a passive-freewheeling ESC (which is: most of the ones we use). Active-freewheeling ESC's already exist, but we don't have them for multi-rotors. It's another example of multi-rotor technology deficiency, which occurs because the bulk of the market is satisfied with mediocrity. Even the high end market. If I were spending more than $15 for an ESC, I would be asking why they haven't designed this in.

To put it in layman's terms, the problem is that when you spend most of your time at high-ish loads at low throttle settings, there are currents within the ESC which heat it up. The heli guys have known this for a long time, and try to never operate below 80% throttle. Advantage: variable pitch.

DCDK

How was the shooting? :)

In fact, I made the shot finally in After Effects. But My Cinestar 8 is flying and alive :) Didn't had much time to fly it, though, since I have some "normal" film projects, but I hope to train some more in April. Also my little mQx is a joy to fly!

DennyR

The only way to lift that kind of weight reliably is with a SR heli and a team of experts. I can see no good reason for using any kind of MR. The cheapest platform would be a 800 size Align Trecker Heli with a Tarot IMU. 14s battery. Then get some experts to fly it.

Kari

I see no reason why multi-rotors cannot do that reliably, but for me the biggest problem is the gimbal. So far i've only tested with cinestar 360 and it's way too flexible for anything close to red weights, especially if using any other lens than small canons. At least the cs gimbal needs some heavy modifications to work at all, i've ordered some new parts to test it out if i can get it to acceptable level in rigidness.

Ray Bahas

The only way to lift that kind of weight reliably is with a SR heli and a team of experts. I can see no good reason for using any kind of MR. The cheapest platform would be a 800 size Align Trecker Heli with a Tarot IMU. 14s battery. Then get some experts to fly it.

Wow ! your statement looks like we're getting into some sort of a mystic affair implying a 200 kilos Kopter with nuclear reactors guided by a bunker team graduated from the NSA University :)
You say 14s battery ??? I'd love to see that (if not too secretive).

Don't get mad, I'm just teasing :)

Ray Bahas

I see no reason why multi-rotors cannot do that reliably, but for me the biggest problem is the gimbal. So far i've only tested with cinestar 360 and it's way too flexible for anything close to red weights, especially if using any other lens than small canons. At least the cs gimbal needs some heavy modifications to work at all, i've ordered some new parts to test it out if i can get it to acceptable level in rigidness.

Now that's talking ! :) Yes the copter lifting capabilities is no more a problem. The Gimbal and it's servos/controller ARE the issue !

Eggbeater

Redridinghood. Someone should just hire you, huh? The last two items were the hardest to find. My gut feeling is for the director/producer to focus on doing the best job of directing/producing and leave the specialized work to the technicians. Then make a quality production that will make boo-coo money and you can buy yourself a multirotor. Start with one that is fun and go from there. It's a long process and not one to be so rushed.

Eggbeater

DIY Power distribution

you need the power hungry system www.powerhungrysystems.com they now have 2 models the 8-port phs and the 10-port phs they are already assembled and are ready to plug and play. they have a facebookpage www.facebook.com/powerhungrysystems
I made my power distribution with 10ea sets of connectors (20 connectors total). All connectors are Dremel-notched on back end and soldered to a thick copper washer. It's sandwiched between layers of circuit board material (FR4) and well insulated with liquid tape all around. I have no significant heat, amperage or connection loss on a heavy lifter. I can not give you any total amperage loads for the unit but anything like this is only as good as the weakest link and each connector has it's limits. Suggest good connectors like Hyperion or Jet design. Cost was about $10 less the connectors of your choice. View attachment 12814View attachment 12815 EGG

Attachments

• Alien Hex Build-002.jpg
    Alien Hex Build-002.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Alien Hex Build-005.jpg
    Alien Hex Build-005.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 318

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Nice, that's using your head! I did something similar, but had the ESC wires soldered directly to the washers with no connectors.

Which connectors are those? They look nice.