Zero UAV UAV Zero Steadi470

socratic

Thanks guys for the quidance on the mounting of the IMU. Which now has led to another question. I think I must be getting a wicked brain cramp!!!!! Watching the Zero Video, it appears that the Steadicam IMU plugs into the controller using the A E T R connectors. If that is correct, where do I plug my receiver A E T R connection? Anyone know what I am supposed to do here? DAHHHHHHHHHHH???????

socratic

Hi Julian

I have sent you an email re the Rx connection and another user contact details with the same Tx/Rx. He should be able to guide you on that. The Rx anyway gets connected to the Main Controller C7. Suggest download the Quick Start Manual from my website.

I will send you a pdf file showing the way the IMU should be connected. Got it today.

Rob

Hi Rob,
I saw your post above regarding setting up the IMU for the gimbal. I read through it....perhaps because I am not familiar with S-Bus configurations, I don't understand the connection to the receiver. I have the Fr Sky TFR8 SB which has the bus - though I didn't intend on using it. Can you tell me how to make the physical connection between the receiver and the FC as I am using the "normal" connections for the IMU. ?? Thanks. Jim

I THINK I FIGURED IT OUT..... I used C7 on the FC to connect directly to the S Bus on my reciever - which obviously left the 4 connections available for the IMU. Now I just need to read up on setting up the receiver and maybe I will be able to get through this yet! I plan on updating my video documentation of the build once I get the basics of electronics completed. I did find a great video by Alishamo on setting up the YS-X6. In case anyone has not seen the video, here is a link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpu8peHujd8&feature=channel&list=UL

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonic

Socratic: unless you got your answer already, it seems that I had to splash out about $200 extra as I did'nt know that you needed a S-bus receiver. It should work with only one servo-cable as I understand. Just received mine, haven't installed yet. Also waiting for more plugs and wires. can't wait to get this think set up 'n flyin

socratic

Socratic: unless you got your answer already, it seems that I had to splash out about $200 extra as I did'nt know that you needed a S-bus receiver. It should work with only one servo-cable as I understand. Just received mine, haven't installed yet. Also waiting for more plugs and wires. can't wait to get this think set up 'n flyin

If you haven't purchased the receiver yet, you might want to consider picking up a Fr Sky TFR8 SB. They run under $50 (I think I paid something like 37 bucks for it). I have found the non S Bus receiver they make to be very good. Hopefully this one will also be good. I will be charging ahead tomorrow with the rest of my installation - then on to configuration of all this stuff. At least the YS-X6 has documentation to follow. Just the stabilizer that has limited info - though, it appears to be fairly straight forward as long as I can get my transmitter set up properly. Jim

johnno

Hi Guys, the 2nd IMU plugging into the AETR connectors surprised a number of people it looks like Zero got into bed with futaba cause the SBus rx is the only way you can really go. I have not seen the Fr Sky RX but they say its compatible with a number of Futaba TX's and its about half the price of the futaba, so yes it caught me out but I was thinking of going the SBus anyway because Install is a breeze just 1 cable, Johnno.

socratic

Okay.....on to the next issue. I purchased a Turnigy 5.0 4S battery for this quad. It has 5.5 bullet connectors already installed. Do I need to cut them off and replace with an XT60? Doesn't seem to make sense since we are talking 80 amp bursts vs 250 amp burst capability. Is the draw on the quad so little that it doesn't really matter what connector I use? I don't really see how to connect unless I use a XT60 since that is what Zero provided on the special cable. Should be fun soldering 8 ga wire to the XT60. BTW, next video installment of the build will be up on YouTube shortly (4 hours to upload first).

Sonic

Wondering about the same thing myself atm! wish there could be less mixed standards. Guess that XT60 cable in the package has to hold as it was intended.

johnno

Okay.....on to the next issue. I purchased a Turnigy 5.0 4S battery for this quad. It has 5.5 bullet connectors already installed. Do I need to cut them off and replace with an XT60? Doesn't seem to make sense since we are talking 80 amp bursts vs 250 amp burst capability. Is the draw on the quad so little that it doesn't really matter what connector I use? I don't really see how to connect unless I use a XT60 since that is what Zero provided on the special cable. Should be fun soldering 8 ga wire to the XT60. BTW, next video installment of the build will be up on YouTube shortly (4 hours to upload first).

Hi Socratic, they goto the 5.5mm bulletts over about 30c but I have seen the recommended battery can be around 20c and anything above 2600ma they use 4mm bulletts the only other way for you is probably make an XT60 to 5mm adapter. I am going to weigh the machine when I get the camera and then work out from the AUW how much I have left then buy a battery in that is equal to the remaining weight, but I read somewhere UAV tested with a 4cell 5000ma at 20c which has the 4mm connectors. Johnno.

robone

All my batteries use the Dean connection and so I replaced the XT60 with a dean connection. Decide what you want to use in future and go with that. I found it easier to change the connector on a "not live cable" than on a battery.

Sonic

Thanks to all you guys for sharing and discussing - and great thanks to Socratic for videos! .. I'm pretty much ready to start calibrating and all that. One question; can all calibration and control be done from a PC? ..as I don't own any android or Iphones

socratic

Thanks to all you guys for sharing and discussing - and great thanks to Socratic for videos! .. I'm pretty much ready to start calibrating and all that. One question; can all calibration and control be done from a PC? ..as I don't own any android or Iphones

I am not quite there yet (next week) but I believe if you download the YS-X6-PC20120802 file to your pc, you can configure everything from there. I loaded it on my PC and it looks to have everything that the Android version has. Looks like your choices are to hook up via USB to the PC or use IPad or Android. Pretty nice selection of configuration options! Let us know how you make out - I might need some help with configuration pretty soon. Good luck.

robone

I am not quite there yet (next week) but I believe if you download the YS-X6-PC20120802 file to your pc, you can configure everything from there. I loaded it on my PC and it looks to have everything that the Android version has. Looks like your choices are to hook up via USB to the PC or use IPad or Android. Pretty nice selection of configuration options! Let us know how you make out - I might need some help with configuration pretty soon. Good luck.

I found it is best to use the android app and using the "Installation Guide", which is a Tab in the app, as it takes you through the same steps as that reflected in the Quick Start Manual.

Just make sure that you are able to connect the battery to the electronics and only when needed, the motors.

By the way, there is a later version of the PC GCS and it can be downloaded off my website, under Resources.

Cheers
Rob

socratic

Started configuring the YS-X6 tonight. Gee, could it be possible I am doing something wrong?:shame: I am not using a dedicated router but have configured my existing router "guest" as the YS-X6 access. I was able to get my android to connect to the network but I don't think the wifi unit is able to connect - It has a blinking red light. I only hooked up the 2.4 network - not the 5GHz. The card that came with the quad doesn't have an "N" after the serial number but the wifi unit does. I have tried both ways. Any ideas guys? Thanks. Jim

Got it working.....Trial and error and eventually even a monkey can do it! Looks like my wifii unit has the direct to phone built in - the N. Now onward!

Sonic

Well, started configuring my YS this morning as well. No 3G on the android device, so no map available, but I can configure it - Funny enough I was stuck for a good while as I had not noticed where the correct S-bus port was on the receiver. Now charging batteries and hopefully doing first test flight today.

johnno

Started configuring the YS-X6 tonight. Gee, could it be possible I am doing something wrong?:shame: I am not using a dedicated router but have configured my existing router "guest" as the YS-X6 access. I was able to get my android to connect to the network but I don't think the wifi unit is able to connect - It has a blinking red light. I only hooked up the 2.4 network - not the 5GHz. The card that came with the quad doesn't have an "N" after the serial number but the wifi unit does. I have tried both ways. Any ideas guys? Thanks. Jim

Got it working.....Trial and error and eventually even a monkey can do it! Looks like my wifii unit has the direct to phone built in - the N. Now onward!

Hi Socratic, Its great isnt it when you conquer something that has taken all that time and Brain Matter to come up with a solution pity you dont have that monkey from the start. What TX are you using with the FRsky RX? My machine is just waiting for a TX and RX but I have a couple of other devices to fly, its just the weather we have had non stop winds for over a week now, plus a water spout further down south, and because living on the coast in the summer months the NE are on and they dont let up. Good Luck Johnno.

socratic

Hi Socratic, Its great isnt it when you conquer something that has taken all that time and Brain Matter to come up with a solution pity you dont have that monkey from the start. What TX are you using with the FRsky RX? My machine is just waiting for a TX and RX but I have a couple of other devices to fly, its just the weather we have had non stop winds for over a week now, plus a water spout further down south, and because living on the coast in the summer months the NE are on and they dont let up. Good Luck Johnno.

Hi Johnno,
I am using a Futaba T8FG (8/16 channel FASST) receiver. Futaba offers a free software/firmware upgrade to this receiver that makes it a 16 channel! You can pick these up for a fraction of what it cost for other receivers and I have had good luck with mine. Don't think I will have time to finish setup until next week (holiday here and lots of family obligations). I hope to finish things up and do a final setup video shortly......looking forward to being able to actually try flying and shooting from this rig. Jim

johnno

Hi All, is anyone using or about to use an Futaba SBUS Rx in their Steadi470? what I am interested in is there any special setup required between the TX and RX for the 1st 4 channels or has the YS-X6 been pre-programed to assign say the 1st 4 channels as A,T,R,E. I realise that you have got to assign ch5 & 6 or is it 6 & 7 for the 3 way toggles, but its the 1st 4 channels got me thinking. john.