Aeronavics / Droidworx Skyjib 8 + Movi+ Toad in the Hole

Quinton

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, however I am sure there are some people in here that bought the extendable legs for their Skyjib.
I had a problem which I could not figure out at all.

Basically when I was travelling fast forwards and yawing CW it did not turn, just kept going straight, no problems at all CCW
I added the longest retractable legs a few weeks ago, and today I tried some fast flying forward and yawing CW "with retracts down", and guess what, it worked perfectly.
So the question is, anyone that has bought the longest legs for their Skyjib having similar problems?

PMaughan

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, however I am sure there are some people in here that bought the extendable legs for their Skyjib.
I had a problem which I could not figure out at all.

Basically when I was travelling fast forwards and yawing CW it did not turn, just kept going straight, no problems at all CCW
I added the longest retractable legs a few weeks ago, and today I tried some fast flying forward and yawing CW "with retracts down", and guess what, it worked perfectly.
So the question is, anyone that has bought the longest legs for their Skyjib having similar problems?

Not sure how helpful this is but I haven't had that problem with the long legs.

Pete

Quinton

Not sure how helpful this is but I haven't had that problem with the long legs.

Pete

Is yours on a X4?
Mine is on a Hex, where the legs sit under prop 3 and 6.
I am going to fly later with the legs off altogether (lift off from a tyre or box or something) just to rule out any radio problem, but it all looks very normal in the assistant.
It is strange I know, but with the retracts down it turns on a six pence both ways when going fast forward.

PMaughan

Is yours on a X4?
Mine is on a Hex, where the legs sit under prop 3 and 6.
I am going to fly later with the legs off altogether (lift off from a tyre or box or something) just to rule out any radio problem, but it all looks very normal in the assistant.
It is strange I know, but with the retracts down it turns on a six pence both ways when going fast forward.

That does sound odd. Mine's a flat 8 so they're not directly under a motor.

Pete

Quinton

For anyone thats interested I got the M5 MR upgrade earlier today and it is 393 grams for the lot including cinestar mount , then you can add 3 rubber wheels at 58g each @174g for the 3

The parts for the Skyjib only inc wheels are 500g exactly, you can then remove your SJ retracts which is 750g, so really it only saves you 250g if you go for the toad in the hole and MR upgrade.
Movi M5 along with everything you need to get shooting and GH4 with 25mm lens and ND filter HDMI converter etc comes in at 3.38kg total.

PMaughan

I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I've got the kit but think the advantage of being able to use hand held so quickly out weighs the weight saving.

Read on the Freefly forum that the wheels cause some issues, extra windage or something.

Pete

Quinton

I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I've got the kit but think the advantage of being able to use hand held so quickly out weighs the weight saving.

Read on the Freefly forum that the wheels cause some issues, extra windage or something.

Pete

Ok just found that thread, i thought they may be a bad idea, and all 3 adds a bit of extra weight.
I only got it as I am having the CW fast forward yaw problem with my machine, and thought this may be a solution.
Hopefully I can get out tomorrow and give it a go, and I know what your saying regarding the quick hand held setup.
Just wondering when you are flying do you have it in hand held mode or airborne, I havent played around with it that much but airborne seemed really strange to me as if it was for FPV?

PMaughan

I haven't flown with airborne yet but I think it just addresses the issue of a spinning copter for take off landing when using the MR kit, which is fine if you're dual op but as a single op you really want to be in hand held majestic. So i think you need to be doing some nifty hand work if single op using the MR kit or you could find yourself trying to take off / land with a spinning copter which probably wont end well!

You've probably had the gimbal turned on and undone the clamp on the toad (I have) and found it wants to spin (at high speed!) which could be a bit tricky on take off...

Quinton

Thanks for that, that is why I always used handheld/majestic mode as it just followed the MR movements, and yes I also tried to move it from stand to MR while turned on...not a good idea :)
It was easy enough though to let it initiate on the MR with the retracts, but it may be different with the MR conversion.
A bit of experimenting is required, but I never really seen the point of Airborne mode, as you can not switch from airborne to handheld without being connected by BT.
Time to actually turn it on with the MR conversion I think..I dont want to though, I like it hand held too much :)

Quinton

For anyone that is interested I managed to order this one today..
http://www.flyonix.co.uk/product/ultra-thin-hdmi-micro-hdmi-cable-1ft/

Is it just me or does the toad in the hole work GREAT for hand held, but it just feels as if its pulling and tugging under the Skyjib
Just feels as if it needs to have a much more substantial connection to the MR than what it has at the moment.

I was out flying this afternoon in pretty strong wind and I had time getting it down, thought it was going to tip a few times.
I actually "hate" the Movi MR legs, and may go back to the retracts again.

henrysj

cheers for that - got one of the others from electronicarc which is still working for me but is a pain being just that little bit too short really

Quinton

cheers for that - got one of the others from electronicarc which is still working for me but is a pain being just that little bit too short really

Spoke to Heliguy earlier and they said that they had a load of ribbon ones in but won't sell them now, as they all ended up being crap..not sure if its same ones.

henrysj

I wouldn't be surprised - haven't seen any others about. Just ordered one of flyonix - hadn't come across them before got some pretty nice gear on there. Emailed them about their Skyjib parachute I wonder if that would help you get an exception with the CAA for the Sub 7kg rule?

Quinton

OK 2nd flight today with the Movi, extremely windy, check out the very end it actually had a tip over on landing at the very end (if you can tell) but you can hear it. (2 props in ground luckily no damage)
28km/h take off gusting to 40 km/h
Completely new camera operator, I was struggling just to hold it.

https://vimeo.com/103271659

Last edited by a moderator:

has anyone worked out a case solution for the M5 and GH4 yet? I have a great case for the Skyjib just need to sort out transporting the M5