Single Op Radio Set up using 8FG tx and R6208SB rx, S800 and Zenmuse

maxwelltub

So I think I know what I need to do to make this work but I just wanted to see if anyone had any input. Right now I am running my WKM though the SBus on the R6209SB rx. (and using Futaba 8FG Super. In the radios manuel it says you can switch the channel settings so the output connectors on the RX can correspond with Channels 9-16. So do I run my Zenmuse through the regular channel outputs and my WKM through the Sbus? If that is true then I am having problems getting my RX into Mode B which would give me channels 9-16 on the standard output connectors. Before I start trouble shooting I need to know I am going in the right direction to start with. Thanks for you help.

maxwelltub

Hhhmmm... maybe figured it out. For anyone using this RX, am I supposed to leave the short plug in the data port? I assumed it was similar to a bind plug that you take out once it was set. Which would explain why it kept reseting to default when I removed the plug during reboot. Try again tomorrow.

olof

Osprey
I just ordered a similar kit and I plan on using my 8FG Super with it.

I should be building it Thursday and Friday, I will post about how it goes here. I am also using the DJI OSD with the DJI 5.8ghz video downlink so there will be quite a bit of tweaking I imagine.

Do any experienced users with this setup have any advice?

I use the same Futaba radio system, i.e., T8FG Super and R6209SB receiver and am very pleased with it. Regardless how you configure it there are only a couple of ways to take advantage of the extra channel available from the Transmitter end and/or using s.bus.
In it's present configuration you can only have 8 channels. But if you can be happy controlling two outputs at the receiver end by means of only one input from the transmitter, you can connect additional outputs directly to the Receiver servo connection while utilizing s.bus for your Naza or WKM controller. I was able to turn LED lights off/on this way by switching between "attitude" and GPS-attitude" mode.

The two other ways you should be able to take advantage of the extra channels are:
1) buy a 3rd party 12 or 14 channel receiver that is compatible with Futaba s.bus
2) look into the Futaba options for extending the outputs of your existing receiver s.bus cable.... they sell a device that will allow for that but it takes up more space and adds additional weight.

I will try to follow-up with the lead sent to me on the 3rd party receiver for option "1" listed above.

ChrisViperM

S-Bus was originally intended as a way to give special S-Bus servos a unique adress in order to be able to hook up more servos than you have channels on your transmitter. Complex cable laying in large RC-Aircrafts became much easyier with S-Bus.
Here is a little background info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1319025

If you use S-Bus, the traditional (normal) connections of an S-Bus receiver are the "mirrors" of you S-Bus channels, so if you have a 3-way switch assigned to S-Bus channel 3, whatever you hook on "traditional" channel 3 will be operated with the same 3-way switch.

If S-Bus is used with WooKong and/or Zenmuse there is a little problem: The channels are "fixed" in the WooKong and Zenmuse as per manual and cannot be changed (like with the programmable S-Bus servos), both require the "upper" channels 1-8

The workaround is to use WooKong with S-Bus on receiver No.1 and connect the Zenmuse in the traditional way with receiver No.2.

In the manual (page 2) for your receiver R6208SB (http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/r6208sb-manual.pdf) you can see the way to change the S-Bus servo channels to "MODE B" (Channels 9 -16), and as sayed before, S-Bus channels are mirrored to the traditional outlets, you can now connect your Zenmuse in the traditional way....but you need 2 receivers.

To make it more affordable (Futaba stuff is freaking expensive) you can do the following:

Get a Frsky TRF 8 S (!!! not the TRF 8 SB !!! ) as a second receiver for the Zenmuse. Its absolutely the same quality as the Futaba receiver, S-Bus compatible and dirt cheap. The channels 1-8 can be switched via jumper.....http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-tfr8-8-channel-fasst-compatible-receiver-1.html

PS: You can bind both receivers to one transmitter. ...

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

maxwelltub

Ok great, that's what I needed to know. As far as getting into mode b, I'm having trouble figuring that one out, do I leave the jumper plug in? Thanks!

ChrisViperM

but I thought you could buy the extended 16 channel version so as to still use s.bus for the Naza and also utilize channels 9 and up since the Futaba transmitter has all 14 channels available

Unfortunately this is not possible, only with S-Bus servos. You cannot mix and match S-Bus channels and traditional channels on one receiver.
The method with 2 receivers I showed you has one big advantage....receiver No. 1 is mounted on the base plate of the S800, receiver No.2 is mounted on the Zenmuse. If you have both WooKong + Zen hooked to just one receiver, you have to unplug a lot of cables every time you take the S800 apart for tranbsport....

The receiver you showed:http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-tf...-receiver.html is useless in any case....it just got S-Bus (where you have a lot of channels) but only 3 traditional connectors (which you can't even assign to lower channels) http://www.frsky-rc.com/uploadfile/201207/20120724191250334.pdf

Chris

maxwelltub

Ok this all makes sense but I just can't get my r6208 into mode b! It gives me the three green blinking lights, turn it off, remove the plug, but input 1 does not respond to channel 9! Only responds to channel 1!

ChrisViperM

Ok great, that's what I needed to know. As far as getting into mode b, I'm having trouble figuring that one out, do I leave the jumper plug in? Thanks!

That's what the manual says:

Connect the short-plug to the DATA port only when an S.BUS servo channel is set. Normally do not connect the plug.

* Channel setting mode A (ch1 to 8 setting mode) or channel setting
mode B (ch9 to 16 setting mode) can be set.
3 Turn on the receiver.
* At once when turning on the receiver, the channel setting is com-
pleted in mode A.
(To switch to mode B, press the Link/Mode button until
the red and green LED starts to blink simultaneously.
The channel setting is completed in mode B.)
* The LED corresponding to the setting mode blinks.
Mode A: Red blinks 3 times
Mode B: Green blinks 3 times
4 Turn off the receiver.

THEN TAKE THE PLUG OFF.....

Chris

olof

Osprey
This is what my dealer quoted me:
"You will need The Futaba Receiver $139

And a few misc parts to expand the receiver to control the Zenmuse from a single remote which Cost another $90.

So, in order to get all the parts needed to work with your Current 8FG Super. Add $229 to cover the needed receiver and misc sbus parts"

And he has set this up many times, I have a phone number to call for tech support to his "builder" should I need it.

This setup should allow you to control all the Zenmuse options. The cool thing according to my dealer who uses this setup himself, "is that you set the gimbal pan a and tilt up on the sliders on the back of the Futaba TX". This means that you always have your fingers on them even when using both sticks.

Like I said I will report my experience setting this kit up.

In my experience you always succeed if you don't give up, but it is never as easy as you think when you start, this is true for everything in my life anyway.

maxwelltub

Yup, have the manual in front of me. Don't know what Im missing because it's not changing. It indicates that it has switched modes, but does not act like it has once I turn it back on

ChrisViperM

Ok this all makes sense but I just can't get my r6208 into mode b! It gives me the three green blinking lights, turn it off, remove the plug, but input 1 does not respond to channel 9! Only responds to channel 1!

I got a similar receiver, the FURABA R6108SB (procedure is the same as the R6208SB) I just tried it out and it didn't work either. But now I know what the whole procedure means: In this way you can assign a S-Bus Servo a specific adress if you connect the S-Bus Servo with a hub....in other words: You don't change the channels used on your receiver, but you program the servo to what channel it should listen to. So for example if you connect the servo to channel 2 and do the procedure with the plug in mode B, the S-Bus Servo (not a conventional servo) will listen only to channel 10, but you can't change the traditional ports from Ch 1-8 to 9-16. This you can only do with either the FUTABA R7008SB, check the manual :
http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/r7008sb-manual.pdf ....Page 2 - Channel Modes .....the R7008SB is not cheap, but gives you the full 1-8 or 9-16 conventional channels, or you use the Frsky TRF 8 S which is a lot cheaper, but only gives you channels 1-8 or 11-16 (two connectors are used for a plug if you want the "lower" channels as per manual)

Chris

For what it might be worth here is a receiver that will work with your Futaba 8FG Super and allow you to use the remaining channels, i.e., 9 thru 14.....

maxwelltub

Well I don't know because I have extra channels but the zenmuse will only respond to channels 1-8, in the order zenmuse wants. It's surprisingly complicated. I've been doing Helis and planes for a while, I did not think this was the system was going to throw me through such a loop.

ChrisViperM

It's surprisingly complicated. I've been doing Helis and planes for a while, I did not think this was the system was going to throw me through such a loop.

I know this feeling too good..... :tennis:

The trouble with WooKong + Zenmuse in connection with S-Bus is the lack of flexibility. The S-Bus channels in the WooKOng/Zen are pre-set and cannot be changed....you have to stick with it or use the traditional method with a lot of wires. Someone would think that you should have a possibility (at least with the Zenmuse) that you have a setting where you tell the Zen to use upper/lower channels, but maybe they will implement this in the future. The funny part is that the S-Bus system in connection with S-Bus servos is the most flexible system so far, but only with S-Bus servos. When FUTABA invented the S-Bus, they didn't think (know) about Flight Controls of Multirotors. So what we have at the moment is some sort of hybrid solution, and if it gets a little more complex, we have to find work-arounds until we can change the S-Bus channels IN the WooKong / Zenmuse.

My set-up at the moment:

Frsky TRF8S for the WooKong via S-Bus
Futaba R7008SB for the Zenmuse, set to use lower channels via traditional connections.
Transmitter: Futaba T18 MZ

I also got the Futaba Wireless Trainer System (http://www.futaba-rc.com/accessories/futm1010.html) which just plugs into the trainer port of the Futaba Transmitter. That way you can have one-man operation, but with the flick of a switch you have a two-man set-up as well.

Chris

Hi all
i too need some help... .but i want to operate my Wookong M and 3 axis CiineStar cam mount with Radians with one Tx. I bought the Futaba 8FG just for this... so that since the Wookong and Radians work on S bus... i would be able to operate both with one Radio. Here is where i need help. Should i put a hub at the S bus output of Rx and from the hub send one line to Radians and one line to Wookong. This way i guess Wookong would have channels 1 to 4 for flying, and any channel after that can be assigned to Wookong for Mode, IOC etc, and in any case Radians can be assigned any channel of choice for its Mode and tilt. So am i right in my thinking.

ChrisViperM

This way i guess Wookong would have channels 1 to 4 for flying, and any channel after that can be assigned to Wookong for Mode, IOC etc,

No, with S-Bus you can't. The Mode channel in WooKong is fixed to channel 7 - see the WooKong manual on page 16 - STEP1: RECEIVER TYPE

I got the Radian myself, but didn't have time to play with it yet. But according to the Radian user manual the Radian Moduls act like programmable S-Bus servos and can therefore have specific channels assigned. I am sure you will find out how - I guess it's done with the RADIAN software.

Also check here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/radian-and-sbus.265/

The FreeFly RADIAN Forum is a good source in general: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?forums/radian.23/

But to answer your question: You should be O.K. with a S-Bus Hub2.....

It's only a couple of §.... View attachment 9137

Chris

Attachments

• Smilies13.jpg
    Smilies13.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 253

Hi ChrisViperM
Thanks for ur comments... at least i am now having hopes that a solution is on the horizon
I checked the manual of Wookong M... on page 8, where they have the diagram for hookup,and page 17, it does show ch 7 going to U on controller... so i guess channel 7 is fixed.
I also took the precaution to order 2 HUBs just in case, when i ordered the radio.
Now just waiting to get back home next week to try everything out....have all the stuff waiting for me.
My only logic was that if from a hub, two servos can be installed and from center wire of hub another hub can be put, and again two more servos plugged in,,, then i can certainly put one hub at Rx and send out a wire each to Pan Radian and the other to Wookong.
The only thing which i still have to figure out i would i have to first programme the Radians in Radian software, then put radians off,,, and now programme Wookong M ,,, or do it the other way around,,, or bring up both menus together on the computer.
Thanks for all ur comments once again.
Ramesh Tahlan

ChrisViperM

That's the way I would do it:

First connect the WooKong via S-Bus to the receiver and set everything up as it is stated in the manual.

Unplug the WooKong, connect the RADIAN via S-Bus as stated in the RADIAN manual: http://www.freeflysystems.com/pdf/radianManual-v1-print.pdf
Here is how to connect it:

View attachment 9139

As you can see in the picture, the Radian modules are connected in a "daisy chain", so on the end you have only one S-Bus wire.
Set everything up as in the Radian manual, pay special attention not to assign any channels which are used by WooKong.

Once it is set up correctly, unplug the RADIAN, plug the Hub into the S-Bus connector of your receiver and plug WooKong S-Bus cable and Radian S-Bus cable into the HUB.....

Make double sure that everything is working correctly before you mount the propellers....or even try to fly your bird.......

Chris

Attachments

• radianManual-v1_10-page-001.jpg
    radianManual-v1_10-page-001.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 943