APC Thin experiences

DennyR

There are a few vid. tutorials on how to balance props. It's really not that difficult. The thing to remember is that it is not just about the tip to tip weight but also you must check the hub for offset, with the prop. hanging in the vertical plain. Remove material with 150 wet n dry and finish with 600.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
We put in an order many many months ago with a few people. It took a long time to arrive and came straight from the source.

The reason I'm really asking is because I'd LOVE to buy APC props but when I contacted them they did not have the counter rotating props so I was forced to buy the knock-off versions which I hate doing. I'd love to support an American made model as well as the real brand name. Do you mind telling me where you got them from or where I can get some from? Thanks!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
a great youtube video that demonstrates the difference between blade and hub balancing and shows how to balance the hub.

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I've seen this 10 times. The problem with this video is that it is conceptual. You wouldn't balance your hub by sticking masking tape on it not would you leave a piece of masking tape dangling off the tip. It would have been a much better video if they showed him sanding away or adding glue to a piece of Velcro. Bart I think you should make a thorough video on this as you are really good at doing this and have a good presence. Hell, I might go as far as to call you a people's person.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Amain hobbies or tower hobbies or hobby lobby seem to always have apc's in every flavor.

I'll check them out, I've never been able to find the counter rotating versions of their props. I even contacted the manufacture to which their reply was, "We do not make counter rotating propellers to match all of our regular rotating propellers.".

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I guess I have never used anything smaller than the 11" SF. if you need 10's I would go with graupners anyways.

You use slow fly props at 11"? Huh? On what? I absolutely hate SF props, they come apart and sent fragments of propellers everywhere at the slightest mis-balance. No thanks! I use APC knock off props because they are only $1 or $2 each and because they work like Graupners only 10% the cost, you just have to balance them while with Graupners they really come balanced. I hear you though, they are a good prop as long as you aren't in cold weather anyway. I see people using wood, that baffles me but to each their own I guess :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yes I bought 11's to try on my hex but the graupner 11x5's were better. I haven't had a bad experience with slow flys. I do wish they made the hub a hair bigger. Maybe since I'm in California where the weather is always nice they don't have issues. When I fly over the super cross track though I will want to minimize any potential point of failure. So I will probably fly my apc thins since they have been proving themselves very well so far. To each their own. One thing has made itself very clear... No 2 machines fly alike with the exact settings and components.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I've seen this 10 times. The problem with this video is that it is conceptual. You wouldn't balance your hub by sticking masking tape on it not would you leave a piece of masking tape dangling off the tip. It would have been a much better video if they showed him sanding away or adding glue to a piece of Velcro. Bart I think you should make a thorough video on this as you are really good at doing this and have a good presence. Hell, I might go as far as to call you a people's person.

I can try to do this but it won't be until next week.