Si3POs Build Log: X550 quad

si3po

No offense intended :)

None taken mate :)

I'm always being mistaken for one of my (lesser) brethren in the Army and Navy. The Air force camouflage is identical to theirs, so confusing us all is easily done.... day to day though, my uniform is primarily 'Wedgewood' Blue and Navy.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

jbrumberg

si3po- slightly off track, but thank you and your mates and I will even extend my thanks to those other service lifeforms on the other side of the pond for your service to your and for our countries. In a world of shifting global alliances the alliance between your country and ours has been pretty solid. Again thanks.

si3po

Hmm, rather more difficult than I though this quad copter thing!

Attempted to dial in the pot gains this evening whilst I still had a bit of light left, result: 3 pairs broken props and a bent motor shaft or two. Now i have no props left and am trying to straighten the slightly bent shafts I two of the motors.

I think I'll speak with one of the guys who flies them at my club for a bit of help!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hmm, rather more difficult than I though this quad copter thing!

Attempted to dial in the pot gains this evening whilst I still had a bit of light left, result: 3 pairs broken props and a bent motor shaft or two. Now i have no props left and am trying to straighten the slightly bent shafts I two of the motors.

I think I'll speak with one of the guys who flies them at my club for a bit of help!

what pot gains???? Was it flying normal before?

broken props are part of this whole thing, at least in the beginning. Make sure you order PLENTY extras :). And get good ones! I'm loving HQPROPS lately.

si3po

Pot gains I thought were the yaw, roll and pitch pots on the board?

I've not flown it at all before, so this was its first flight...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Pot gains I thought were the yaw, roll and pitch pots on the board?

I've not flown it at all before, so this was its first flight...

You have the KK5.5 board? Are you sure all your motors/props are the correct direction? Are you set up for X-Quad? That's a multiwii based board, no? Have you looked inside the sketch to make sure everything is set up well?

Describe what happened that caused the crash.

have you seen THIS: he mentions having issues with 4.7 FW

si3po

You have the KK5.5 board? Are you sure all your motors/props are the correct direction? Are you set up for X-Quad? That's a multiwii based board, no? Have you looked inside the sketch to make sure everything is set up well?

Describe what happened that caused the crash.

Yup. Kk5.5, motors correct directions 1&4 CW, 2&3 CCW. definitely X copter config, and its not multi-wii so haven't needed to check the sketch.

Basically took off, hovered slightly then banked to the right (front of the quad facing me). Attempting to correct the banking I countered it by banking to far to the left, the quad went almost sideways and simply dropped out of the sky. I managed to cut the throttle before impact but still broke the props and bent the shafts of two motors very slightly.

It was my fault entirely, as I was far too low (only 3ft height I'd guess) and also trying to fly it in my back yard, and to be honest you couldn't swing a cat in it!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Well, that makes sense I guess. I would suggest keeping the quad facing away from you at first - especially in tight spots (like your yard). No need to add extra hassle to getting it tuned. Make sure you read that thread I linked (if you hadn't found it already). There were some people there that may have had issues with particular versions of the firmware. At least it might give you a heads up what to look out for. Seemed to be stabilization issues.

si3po

Well, that makes sense I guess. I would suggest keeping the quad facing away from you at first - especially in tight spots (like your yard). No need to add extra hassle to getting it tuned. Make sure you read that thread I linked (if you hadn't found it already). There were some people there that may have had issues with particular versions of the firmware. At least it might give you a heads up what to look out for. Seemed to be stabilization issues.

It was entirely my fault, and I really shouldn't have been trying to fly it in such a tight space. Add for the KK firmware, in running MinSoo Kims 2.9 Xcopter config. With the 4.7 firmware I had a lazy motor 4, even after esc calibration and end point adjustment in the board itself.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It was entirely my fault, and I really shouldn't have been trying to fly it in such a tight space. Add for the KK firmware, in running MinSoo Kims 2.9 Xcopter config. With the 4.7 firmware I had a lazy motor 4, even after esc calibration and end point adjustment in the board itself.

Very cool. I was taking the 4.7 from your first post. Seems people have issues, and you were one of them!

Good luck once you get the props back, and hopefully some more space to fly. :)

I have been doing testing in my driveway - with a garage on one side and very tall hedges on the other. Terrifying when the motors kick on - makes a space that SEEMED decent when it sat idling into the size of a thimble once the motors really spin up full speed.... :)

si3po

Very cool. I was taking the 4.7 from your first post. Seems people have issues, and you were one of them!

Good luck once you get the props back, and hopefully some more space to fly. :)

I have been doing testing in my driveway - with a garage on one side and very tall hedges on the other. Terrifying when the motors kick on - makes a space that SEEMED decent when it sat idling into the size of a thimble once the motors really spin up full speed.... :)

Tell me about it, the back yard felt more than enough space until I got it a few feet off the ground! Then I realised I was VERY wrong, and before I knew it it was upside down and had 3 broken props...

Then the missus saw what I'd done and gave me that look of "great, more money you need to spend!"... I'll buy her some shoes or something to sweeten the blow...

cootertwo

"Nose in" can be a *****, especially in close quarters. I'm still trying to figure out how it sorta "just comes" one day. I learned with planes, when nose coming at me, to turn my back towards the plane, and look over my left shoulder. That way, left is still left, etc. etc. Finally one day, it just became natural. Now trying it on my nitro helies and these multirotors is another story. I figured with the helies, it was because of the expense. Just touch a blade to the ground on one of them usually results in much $$$, so the fear factor is greater. I'm getting better, just not "natural" yet. Part of the fun of flying FPV with goggles, is you're sitting in the cockpit, no problem, fly any direction you want. But I know I must look silly, cause I still lean this way and that with the goggles on. Also got sorta screwed up flying my Parrot AR Drone with my tablet puter. Now I find myself tilting my radio transmitter, like it was the tablet..... ha!:upset:

si3po

New props arrived in the post, looks like another test flight could be on the cards this evening!

si3po

Thinking about maybe updating my fcb from the KK5.5 I'm currently running to this . Do any of you rate this flight controller at all, or should I look at the MultiWii Lite??

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thinking about maybe updating my fcb from the KK5.5 I'm currently running to this . Do any of you rate this flight controller at all, or should I look at the MultiWii Lite??

If anything, go with THIS:

of you're going Multiwii, it will be the easiest transition. This is a small board (physically) with all the pro options on it - and preflashed to fly. You can add GPS, and if you order the cables (cheap) you can plug straight in to the EZ connectors. If you want to get crazy - go for the black edition with the GPS/mag option. That one is wider.

si3po

If anything, go with THIS:

of you're going Multiwii, it will be the easiest transition. This is a small board (physically) with all the pro options on it - and preflashed to fly. You can add GPS, and if you order the cables (cheap) you can plug straight in to the EZ connectors. If you want to get crazy - go for the black edition with the GPS/mag option. That one is wider.

Hi motop!

How does the board you linked compare to the various Crius boards? They're readily available here in the UK and from my untrained viewpoint look to offer more functionality for less dollar..?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hi motop!

How does the board you linked compare to the various Crius boards? They're readily available here in the UK and from my untrained viewpoint look to offer more functionality for less dollar..?

ive be never used a Crius - but for the pro board, that one I linked is the one to get.

What does Crius offer above and beyond??