Si3POs Build Log: X550 quad

si3po

hi all, following on from my cry for help selecting components here, i've finally pushed the button and purchased my bits, here's what i settled on:

4 of D2830-11 1000kv Brushless Motor (UK Warehouse)
4 of Hobby King 30A ESC 3A UBEC (UK Warehouse)
1 of Hobbyking X550 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 550mm ( UK Warehouse)
1 of ZIPPY Compact 4000mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack (UK Warehouse)
1 pack Slow Fly Electric Prop 1045R SF (4 pc - Green Right Hand Rotation) (UK Warehouse)
1 pack Slow Fly Electric Prop 1045SF (4 pc) (UK Warehouse)
1 of XT-60 to HXT 4mm Battery Adapter Lead (2pc) (UK Warehouse)
1 of XT60 4x Power Breakout cable#
1 of KK5.5 Blackboard FCB (flashed with v4.7 firmware)
1 of 10pin - 6pin ATMEL AVR programmer adapter
1 of OrangeRX R615 6Ch Receiver DSM2
30 pieces 3.5mm Sprung Bullet connectors (15pc male/15pc female)

i'm expecting delivery of the components tonight/tomorrow, and i'll post unboxing photos as and when the bits arrive!..... Watch this space!

si3po

Thanks guys.

Well, I've hit the first hurdle in my project today - I missed the delivery man! Now I have ti visit the depot tomorrow to collect the stuff!

It's so annoying I have to wait another 24hrs for the parts, I'm itching to get the project underway. I just wish I'd chosen overnight delivery and sucked up to the extra delivery costs so that I could guarantee somebody would be home! Oh well, it builds the excitement I guess!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

jbrumberg

The RC gods are :highly_amused::highly_amused: right now. They have a perverse sense of humor regarding us poor humans. In a way I am "lucky" the USPS will not even deliver to my residence, never had never will- too far away and up a nasty hill. I have to go to the PO. Hang in there.

si3po

Is the same with my Astronomy gear. Anytime I buy anything new for my telescope, the nights in the week following are always cloudy or is raining!

jbrumberg

I had the astrobug all my life. I still have my 49 year old 4.25"/108mm newtonian reflecting telescope. I live on the "wrong" side and place on my hill. No light or atmospheric pollution where I live. I just use my 7X50's now. Someday......

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I desperately need a telescope! The sky has been amazing around here the last few nights. Felt like I could reach out and touch the stars....

jbrumberg

Milky Way was awesome bright last night.... '...xcuze me while I kiss the sky' kind of night almost. I love those arctic high pressure cells. Hard on the baroreceptors though.

SoCal Blur

Just wait until you have to order a part that you can only get from China and can only be shipped by Hong Kong post that can take a month or more. And its the last part you need to get your MR up in the air. That is what you call frustration! :black_eyed:

jbrumberg

Just wait until you have to order a part that you can only get from China and can only be shipped by Hong Kong post that can take a month or more. And its the last part you need to get your MR up in the air. That is what you call frustration! :black_eyed:

A very disturbing scenario. It will happen to me at some point. I just know it. I can feel it. I am too old to get good at this :02.47-tranquillity: thing.

si3po

It happens to all of us.... I belive it is what's known as Murphys Law

jbrumberg

Maybe I should take up "pretend flying", and fly around in my own make believe world. I could still play around with my stuff. I could have all kinds of adventures. And I would not have any replacement part waiting periods anymore either. I could hide the replacement parts I have on hand and pretend they were teleported here after my imaginary crashes and imaginary repairs. It would be so much easier in this imaginary world.

I think I had better get some air time today.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think I had better get some air time today.

Today is looking like it has promise for flight. At least in this neck of the woods. Get out there. Save the imagination for when you DO crash. Then you can imagine that the flight was completely successful :)

jbrumberg

Actually I have been watching my weather charts all AM and I am on my way outdoors as I post. I am sorry that I only have one charged 3S battery. I do have 4 1S charged though. Bye.

jbrumberg

Just Go In Processing a Good Test Hover and Basic Flight

It started with a face plant with a take off with self- leveling engaged. Not a very great beginning. Let me think about this...... But I got in +11 minutes of hovering and simple flying with S-L not activated. Finally :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It started with a face plant with a take off with self- leveling engaged. Not a very great beginning. Let me think about this...... But I got in +11 minutes of hovering and simple flying with S-L not activated. Finally :)

Nice! I did the same thing yesterday - but opposite. The Level mode was off - the quad just skirted across the driveway and flipped on its end.... Good start :)

jbrumberg

Si3Po- This is no attempt at thread hijacking trust me, but your thread is "open". Besides you need some distraction right now. There is thread at RCG about KK board "Flyaways" when I first saw it I :highly_amused:, but then I started thinking :monkey: about my last crash. I probably was testing my self leveling when I lost control. So this is from that thread that I posted there.

"My take off pad was leveled with a spirit level. My first attempt at liftoff with self leveling activated resulted in a quad faceplant. My second attempt with self leveling de-activated was successful. Now this is why I am posting. When I engaged/activated (via the assigned gear switch) the quad became really unresponsive to my Tx stick commands until I deactivated the self leveling via the gear switch. Then I regained full control of the quad. Now I tend to fly with the self leveling de-activated, but this is interesting and when I think back during my big crash I think that I had engaged S-L. My gain settings for S-L may be a factor in this :p=0, Limit = 0. Obviously I will be revisiting S-L and my gain settings."

During that "really unresponsive" part it was really unresponsive it was like it was set/stuck on the TX settings that were in place when I engaged S-L. And it was flying away at a pretty good clip too :hororr: When I de-activated the S-L, I was flying ACRO; it was like flying a big, mean, hopped up SYMA X1:cool: I have to rate it a success. Two roughed up props a couple of small nicks with no apparent material loss from the faceplant. No vibration in flight hovering observed. I am not worrying about the props.

Ok Si. I return this thread back to you.