digitalmaster

DigitalMasterMedia
Here is another recent video I filmed & edited today. I captured some footage of the flooding that is going on near my home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blacksails

Our latest little video

Any criticisms or suggestions on how we could have made this better are very welcome

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
It wasn't too long for me either, but the Youtube average viewers attention is 1:50 seconds, according to some guy down the pub...

This is the same advice someone gave me a while ago. Keeps people wanting more apparently. :nevreness:

bensid54

Makes sense the attention span of many isn't long and in certain case mine isn't long either. When it comes to things like this that I'm interested in I tend to be more patient and more willing to watch to the end. I liked the comment about the guy in the pub though! There are many experts in pubs and bars.

Blacksails

Thanks for the input guys. It all helps. I thought it may have been a bit long myself.
We did the music too, so I think it may have been a combination of not being decisive / brutal enough when deciding which shots made it to the edit, and wanting to keep the entire piece of music intact.

Blacksails

Wrote, recorded etc.

It's not a real grand piano, and the timps, snares, chimes etc aren't real either. They're virtual instruments in pro-tools played on a midi keyboard.

One of the guys I film with and myself are musicians first. The filming and flying etc came second out of mutual interest. We throw together quick simple bits of music for our vids. We try not to spend too much time on the music side of things but we think it's nice to have original music.

Av8Chuck

Our latest little video

Any criticisms or suggestions on how we could have made this better are very welcome

The aerial is great these comments are more general rule of thumb kind of things for video production. Dissolves denote a change of location or time, I know people think their artsy but they really slow down the pacing which might be one reason it feels a bit long. Some of your shots were a bit long and I don't mean simply the amount of time on screen, the opening shot was long but you came up and turned to reveal the view from the house, worked well but you did the same sort of shot at the pond and it didn't have the same effect. After the establishing shot you can really pick up the pacing by cutting to closeups around the house, you did some of that and you can see how it moves along better. Remember try to group objects in three's [triangles] wherever possible instead of shooting straight on. I realize this is aerial but people really like to see what they're looking at, aerial is great at establishing the scene but you can also cut in shots from the ground that payoff the establishing shot. Plus it switching between extreme POV's can have a really cool look to it.

It wasn't too long for me either, but the Youtube average viewers attention is 1:50 seconds, according to some guy down the pub...

This is the same advice someone gave me a while ago. Keeps people wanting more apparently. :nevreness:

I didn't find it too long but it did feel a bit slow. I don't agree with the guy at the pub, you can have a 30 second video that's 25 seconds too long and a 10 minute video that the viewer wished there was more. If its compelling with good pacing then it can be as long as it needs to be. But even in aerial it will flow and feel shorter if the video has a beginning, middle and an end.

kgarrison

Wife and I took a drive today and grabbed some photos and videos. The photos were shot with a Sony NEX 5n and the video was all shot with the P2V+. My wife had control of the camera so I could focus on flying. Given it was her first time, she didn't do too bad.

bensid54

Are you using a Fat Shark to fly or are you watching the machine from the ground? Nice video makes me want to break out the fishing rod.