RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Never mind the GoPro, DAMN that gimbal is dialled in nicely!

AV130 with RSGS and not even setup for the GoPro, the settings were done with the Nex 5N mounted, I really should retune it for the lesser weight!

Ken

P.S. it is interesting to see how much the frame is moving in relation to the camera platform...

Last edited by a moderator:

khardi12volt

http://antimedia.no/
@Anti media. suburb showreel there!
whats your setup btw?
Lec

Thank you! We have to rigs. The first is a custom "cinedrone" hexa frame, battery: 4s 11A x2, motors: ntm 900kw, esc: 40A, props: carbon 12x3,8, gimbal: zenmuse with nex5n. 12 to 15 min in the air.
The second one is a custom "cinedrone" okto frame, battery: 5s 8A x2, motors: kw8, esc: 60A, props: carbon 14x4,5, gimbal: custom/av200/skyline with our red epic inside:) 8 to 10 min in the air.
Futaba 8fgs radios, Dji wkm and Immersion 5,8 downlink with clover on both..

khardi12volt

http://antimedia.no/
We did this commercial with fourandahalf.no for endinghunger.org. It`s all shot on red epic, and there is only 3 shots from the ground. The rest is shot with our cinedrone epic.
It`s not the most amazing flying, but we are happy with it:)

How did you get the NEX 5 on the HT FPV? I would have thought it was too big. So, there's no gimbal either?
i thought the same thing that it would be to heavy but saw a photo and contacted the flyer and said it worked fine. a tad tail heavy, i added a extension out back to get the battery further back. besides that it flies fine although the flight time is reduced.

Really nice! Seems that you have not used any Post Stabi?
raw footage, just levels in sony vegas pro

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Look at the comment on vimeo. Theres the config. You have another vidéo without post stabilisation directly from the caméra. Look àt this.

'No Post Stabilisation'!

It appears to be some sort of badge of honour around here. A statement of self-excellence. Frowned upon if used!

Other than the risk of image degradation if overused and the extra process during editing, it is a worthy tool. Just as worthy as the Pre-Stabilisation you are using with the OIS in your camera that is doing the same job, i.e. masking the movements, vibrations and inadequacies of your gimbal.

Fredasss

'No Post Stabilisation'!

It appears to be some sort of badge of honour around here. A statement of self-excellence. Frowned upon if used!

Other than the risk of image degradation if overused and the extra process during editing, it is a worthy tool. Just as worthy as the Pre-Stabilisation you are using with the OIS in your camera that is doing the same job, i.e. masking the movements, vibrations and inadequacies of your gimbal.

hi there mombasa, as you said post-stab is overused in UAV world, I'm video-editor, since 15years I've spend all my life in post production for french TV, so I think I know my tools. For me there's a huge difference between an optical stab and post stab. just in term of pixels and definition, post stab make lot of damages on a video. for sure I don't ask you to see the defference by vimeo internet deliver really less good quality than the original footage.
so I precise the no post stab, cause I will make also my business with filming aerial solution, and it's kind to say: the rush is direct from camera, no post production (with bill) needed. you set what you got.
sorry if you don't like that but I think it's a way to show that's not a post production result. and if you look well you'll see the difference between the reel and the other. it's just a profesional vision.
regards.

dolby

Needs more bacon!
'No Post Stabilisation'!

Nope not at all, people just like to know what they are looking at is all. Were not clients where all we care about the end product, we like to know more about how YOU (or other people that post their videos) got the results. Every one has seen video from copters here, what we are interested in is how each of us to go about it so we can try new things or stay away from things and improve our skills.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Yeah, I never read people saying no post stabilization as a badge of honour or showing off, just more like look how smooth and steady it is, even without tweaking with software. It does make a difference to me to know if it's stabilized or not, so you can see that it might not need any or it would look even better if you tweaked it in post production. However, if the uploaded video has already been tweaked, you're seeing the final product as good as it's going to get.
Anyway, in photography and definitely in film there is no such thing as un-tweaked footage, everything we see is altered a little bit to enhance it artistically, in Lightroom, After Affects, Premiere or more expensive commercial software - stabilization with Mercalli or whatever is just another dial on the tweak machine. The more dials you use the further away you move from the original, raw footage you get - but that's often artistically desirable.

Anyway, I like to see 'no post stab played at normal speed' for technical reasons, but I'm just as happy and impressed to see a beautiful image no matter what's been done to it.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
... For me there's a huge difference between an optical stab and post stab....

Now, now gents, do not misunderstand. At no time would I dispute the benefits of good optical stabilisation over software crunching. A good, stable image straight from the camera is without question preferable. The same principle applies in many fields. A cheap microphone can be tarted up with sophisticated software, but it will ALWAYS sound cheap. Hence the english expression, "You cannot make a silk purse from a pig's ear".

Folks around here are particularly keen to know how others are achieving good video results and all would like to know whether or not post stabilisation has been applied to a video in order to have some sort of benchmark for judging the performance of an airframe / camera mount. But it is equally important to know what camera has been used because a very efficient OIS can soak up a whole load of gimbal sins.

Sony's BOSS system is probably the current champ at disguising these 'sins'.

My point is the way the expression "No Post Stabilisation" is bandied around without any mention of the 'pre-stabilisation' OIS. The jittering lens/filter dirt/flare in your videos, for example, illustrates that your camera OIS is working reasonably effectively and so it is only fair to mention this alongside the "no Post Stab" remarks if you truly intend to be transparent and helpful with your video posts.

As a matter of interest, which camera/'s were you using on the two videos?

Fredasss

As a matter of interest, which camera/'s were you using on the two videos?

yes I understand now what you mean, I use the sony 740, the ois is really good, yes it correct the gimbals faults, that's what I'm asking for.. as it stay optical and do not modify by sofware analysis.
Actually in France we have restriction of weight to fly in town, we must be under 4Kg payload included with failsafe systems and other things. so this cam is pretty good for my use. and at this time I don't know any gimbal who works fine as the zenMuze, so we all must find solutions.
the OIS is working but I know lot of people have this cam but not same results as me. I've made a lot on my machine to get theses results, about 3 years working on it to obtain the videos you have seen..
not fantastic also but pretty correct.
I've already read you in the picloc-post have you a video channel to show us your results ?
Regards

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
yes I understand now what you mean, I use the sony 740....

I was pretty certain that you were using the CX730/740. It is a popular camera, largely for its excellent BOSS OIS. Where are you in France? I am based in Marne-la-Vallée. Not a great place for helicopters - too much wind, rain and COLD !:upset:

Click on the link below (my 'signature') to see examples of videos etc.

Macsgrafs

Very nice..I love Cassis, went there in 2001 after driving 998 miles from my home...non stop! Camped out for 5 nights with such beautiful views. I took a female model along to get some lovely photos, shame I can't post them on here ;)
Nice flying by the way & would love to see more of Cassis if you get the chance to film it again.

Ross

Fredasss

Very nice..I love Cassis, went there in 2001 after driving 998 miles from my home...non stop! Camped out for 5 nights with such beautiful views. I took a female model along to get some lovely photos, shame I can't post them on here ;)
Nice flying by the way & would love to see more of Cassis if you get the chance to film it again.

Ross

Thanks ross, Of course I will film cassis again lot of people ask me for.
You can send me your pics ! Lol