hjls3

Just curious, if the resolution of my MacBook Pro, circa 2009, has a max viewing resolution of 1440x900 will I notice a difference in viewing 4k video? I ask this since everybody is talking about shooting things in 4k these days and that's great, it's the future, but how many people have TV or computers that can actually view things at this high a resolution? I recently purchased a Lumix LX100 since it was a sub $1000 camera with a 1.7 effective 24-70mm zoom lens but returned it due to a either a faulty battery or electrical problem since it would drain a battery in three days just sitting on a shelf. I want to move into the 4k format but wonder if it is really worth it if I'm not shooting stuff for the film industry that would take advantage of this format. Just thinking out loud here...
the 4k sure gives you lots of room in post...

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
If budgeting for a 4k camera then also budget for a computer capable of editing 4k too- a point often overlooked. I have a bog standard Macbook Pro 13 inch 2012 and funnily enough it does 1080 not too badly all things considered but give it some for 4k and it becomes a digit vomiting surrender monkey.

As for the height on the last video, its so hard to tell but I think we are well into the 4 figures there.

SamaraMedia

Carapau, Yeah, I'm finding that the processor of my laptop has trouble (slow) with editing 1080 and would not even attempt 4k on this machine. Computer purchase brings up a whole new set of issues as to what editing software to use. I'm on Final Cut Studio 7 and would rather not move to Final Cut X. I would like to try Adobe Premier but would prefer not to have to pay a monthly subscription so I may look into an older version to purchase outright. What do you edit with and are you shooting 4k?

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I am editing with Premiere and although it is a subscription service it does mean you have the latest version. Now, yes I pay £400 a year but that is not just for Premiere it is for the full Adobe suite which considering how much just one of those programmes used to cost as a one off purchase, I reckon its a good deal.

Av8Chuck

Carapau, Yeah, I'm finding that the processor of my laptop has trouble (slow) with editing 1080 and would not even attempt 4k on this machine. Computer purchase brings up a whole new set of issues as to what editing software to use. I'm on Final Cut Studio 7 and would rather not move to Final Cut X. I would like to try Adobe Premier but would prefer not to have to pay a monthly subscription so I may look into an older version to purchase outright. What do you edit with and are you shooting 4k?

I think that using older software on an older computer will only exacerbate your problem. There are different levels of Adobe CC, I think it starts as low as $9.50/month. Even at $50/month its a great bargain for all that you get provided you know how to use it.

A couple of thoughts: If we're going to debate editing solutions we should start a new thread, this one is for showing what you've already edited, if your trying to edit 1080P directly from the camera then all but the fastest computers can handle that, instead convert you source footage to an intermediate codec either ProRes or Cineform and that will most likely solve your problem. Also these codecs do a good job of making 4K footage manageable. ProRes, and I believe Cineform, offer different levels of codec so you can choose the version that's right for your level of processor.

fmkit

yesterday was tryng new quad, 370g w/o battery + HandyCam
watch how people react when they see something noiseless and small
a was afraid to put FPV goggles on while over water + haze, somehow Sony cam cleaned up the haze

Jrod

E600 Populsion System questions
Two videos from Panama. The first is of Fort Amador, this use to be an Army Base in the Canal Zone. It is now a tourist attraction. The second is a Chinese Park.

SjaakZwart

This video was shot last summer at 'Genne', a liitle village between Zwolle en Hasselt at the river Vecht (the Netherlands). Shot with a Gopro Hero 3 and a Tarot 2D gimbal on a Quadframe Heavyweight Six.

DanBrown89

This video was shot last summer at 'Genne', a liitle village between Zwolle en Hasselt at the river Vecht (the Netherlands). Shot with a Gopro Hero 3 and a Tarot 2D gimbal on a Quadframe Heavyweight Six.

Very nice. Studied in Zwolle for 6 months, heading back there in January for a week. Love the place!

Av8Chuck

OK, we can't all produce "Gone with the Wind.." A friend asked if I would help him shoot the last meeting of his VW club, since my niece has a VW and was excited to join in the fun, I agreed to help, she shot the stills and we had about an hour and a half to shoot the entire thing.

No point to it, not all aerial but it was fun to do and I hope you guys enjoy it.

Hi guys. Have been helping out on several car spots recently. This one was for Nissan.

Conventional shots were with AlexaXT, our aerials were Epic Dragon with Summicron glass on M10.

nick