S800 alternative props

DennyR

Today I really put The s800 through some tough work. I had to shoot part of a new commercial for SHARK soft drinks with a team over from Greece. Very windy but the S800 delivered all day long. in some tight situations. Smooth as silk. As a low level platform working around dancers etc. it just doesn't get any better than this. When I saw what the director wanted, the speeds and proximity of a lot of big palm trees I almost walked away.

Jeff sorry about that long screw I guess you will have to cut in down to 8mm
2500 screws gone out the door so it's hard to see when one is 2mm too long, they are measure out by weight.
D.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

I agree it is not perfect, but it does the job in the right hands with very few mods. It does not even begin to compare with my SR 3DR but I could not use that 3 feet away from people. The limitation is not the model it is how you prepare it, and use it. As an out of the box filming package, nothing comes close that I have seen. When the director asked for an establishing shot to drop down from 1000 feet to a close up of the singer, it was nailed in one take.

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Jeff sorry about that long screw I guess you will have to cut in down to 8mm
2500 screws gone out the door so it's hard to see when one is 2mm too long, they are measure out by weight.
D.

I get what you mean I got only a few thousand different screw but its hard to see thru them. I found 2 3x8mm screw after looking at them 5x :D ..but its ok even if it missing all screw this adapters looks awesome....makes the AXI adapters look cheap lol...

For Pete's arm reinforcement, I think its more the silicone absorbing some hi-freq vibration that made that effective but with the added bonus of lesser flexing (up down low freq). I think his mod is better than the others and even if you use only 3/4 of that length it will still have same result. However, my personal opinion and for my S800...is to target the source so I will start with props. I might consider reinforce arms in future...

If only those Graupner will arrive sooner :D...

I got bored so I just bore some holes on the s800 foam so I can still put it inside the packaging...and maybe if I have prop profile I can also carve it on the foam so I can still put it inside with props on....

Hey Denny,

I just recieved the Prop adaptors and you only sent 6. I paid you for 12.

Please send me the other 6 asap. I paid you for 12.

Please contact me ASAP.

Thanks, John W.
AddictiveRC, LLC

DennyR

Sorry John I will get them out tomorrow morning.

Must have got the packets mixed up someone else got your 2nd set.

DennyR

With regard to further improving the S800 and the arm flexing, I have something that is a much better cure than strapping tubes etc. under the arm. Tomorrow I can show you how to use carbon Nano Tube fibers with Loctite 9462 structural adhesive to reinforce the arms at the critical point and only add 10 grams to the weight.
Carbon Nano tube is the strongest substrate known to man and I will tell you where you can get it and the Loctite9462

The torsional rigidity is the main problem with the arms because any movement in that direction will result in the motor shaft running off-centre and creating a bad vibration. The stresses that occur in a torsional direction are focussed around the outside of the arm. (tubes are of course better) This mod. will put the strength in the right place.

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Nice one Denny but don't think I'm technically capable haha, good for everyone else who has the means...great stuff....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Yup agree...im just saying im too lazy...maybe if I grab a 2nd s800 or if I buy a set of arms. I might try it...

Looking forward for the deetails...

DennyR

Ah yes Chris, that is a difficult one. No logic system, made worse by the fact that they try to improve /change the master with Fuzzy logic commands:tennis:.

DennyR

View attachment 6970View attachment 6971

Towards the further refinement of the S800 the solution to gaining better torsional rigidity of the arms can be found here.

The webings are filled half way down from the top surface with a mixture of Loctite 9462 and carbon nano tube fibers. Don't over do the nano tube as too much will just dry the matrix and it wont stick properly. Nano tube fibers look like soot and this is a messy job BTW. The idea is to create a smooth top surface which when sanded and polished will form a skin that will absorb the loads coming from the torsionals, which act around the outside of the arm. The filling of the webs is only taken halfway from the top as more weight in the center of the arm will not help much.
No exact test figs. but just by the feel it is very much more rigid. 10-14 grams is the weight gain only.

Attachments

• Arm reinforcement-1.jpg
    Arm reinforcement-1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 323
  • Arm Reinforcement-2.jpg
    Arm Reinforcement-2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 319

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I agree it is not perfect, but it does the job in the right hands with very few mods. It does not even begin to compare with my SR 3DR but I could not use that 3 feet away from people. The limitation is not the model it is how you prepare it, and use it. As an out of the box filming package, nothing comes close that I have seen. When the director asked for an establishing shot to drop down from 1000 feet to a close up of the singer, it was nailed in one take.

Sorry, I guess yeah, all I see are the complaints. Looks like you have nailed the design problem. The truss design was chosen for ease of manufacturing, not performance. It needs reinforcement of the top and bottom skin. I think something similar could be achieved by simply bonding a thin layer of fiberglass or carbon fiber to create a tube.

I just don't think people should have to do this on such an expensive airframe.

jes1111

I like this arm mod more than the applied tube idea - but if I was doing it myself I'd try it Rob's way - some 0.7mm CF plate bonded to top and bottom, or even perhaps 1-1.5mm strips bonded to the central rib and the edges so the truss openings remained clear.

Tabb said something interesting in another thread - that the Zenmuse suffers from losing the horizon level under certain accelerations, just as all the other solutions do. Yet I've never heard any mention of this. So what's your finding Denny?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
If i recall correctly: The comment refers to a video form the User " Endofdays " Ferdinand. As far as a I followed the video and the post that came with it in RCgroups the claim from Ferdinand was that it slightly looses horizon level after a full flight and serval 360 yaws etc. This was before the last FW update, were the statement was from DJI they are aware and looking into it. One would have to ask him again what the status is now and it was interesting which flight mode he was flying and if he didn't influence the roll command during panning etc. Interesting would also be to see what happens if it looses horizon level is to reset the zenmuse and see what it considered level horizon to be, by switch back into FVP mode or out of it and back again !

Video 28-08, FW release 1.2 05-09

I would like to see though full stick flights back and forth 180 degrees turns, of the Radion with a GH2 or Sony nex no Sony CX stuff.

Boris

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
Denny you mentioned you will tell us where to get this nano fiber tubes?...I think this method is actually easier than it looks....btw how is the drying process....