DJI Naza sudden throws.

Hi,

I have gotten myself a F550 with a DJI Naza and a GPS.
I cannot use it though, it just goes as rock steady as possible in both manual, attitude or GPS + attitude mode, but now and then it just yaw backwards and to the right. I have changed four of the motors without any better results. I have tried serveral different batteries, and both prop sizes, but i have had 2 or 3 minor crashes on extremly low altitude because of this and i do not have any more ideas.

Things i've tried.
- Played around with different gains, both "sloppy" and very firm settings. The problem percists
- Changed four of the 6 motors. When i changed number 6 it was noticably better but spontainous flips still exists.
- Changed between the different prop sizes
- Recalibrated the compass and GPS serveral times
- resoldered all the bullet connectors on the motor side so they are very solid soldered and refinished them with shrinktube.
- Upgraded the Naza to 2.02 when connected, i never tried the previous verison

Only thing left is to change 2 motors more, and all the ESC's and finally the controller itself if it does not give in.

I use a DX8 radio with the latest firmware. This is terrible, i really want to go FPV'ing, but it's impossible with these sudden yaw flips.. .it's amazing i havent crashed yet , but it's because they have occured on high or low altitudes.. the low one is so soft so nothing happens, just a bent prop, the high ones is so high it stabilizes itself again within a second.

Hello,

I must say that you have definitely try to solve this situation have you not! Sorry to see that it has not work so far. I had a similar problem with a F450 and I contacted Empire Hobbies (US distributor for DJI) with a message that looked a lot like yours. They told me that my dealer would exchange the Master Controller (MC) to determine if this was the source of the problem. You and I tried many options without results and they were receptive to this. I installed the new controller and I have well over 50 flights without the slightest glitch. Problem solved! This may be an avenue to solve your problem. The nice thing is if this doesn't work, there are only few other possible causes... Good luck!

Rodge

kloner

Aerial DP
show us a picture of the craft and tell us what you got in the mounting number windows in naza assistant. What props are on it?

does it look something like this but the other way?

<br>

keep in mind that's on a gimble so when its showing over and back like that, it's really over there

whats your vu act like with the sat, does it flash much red? does it lock i to a green light then bo back to a flash or two of red after taking off?

Last edited by a moderator:

I have to check the VU, i have'nt really thought about it, but here's a sample:

This is on my genuine F550.

hjls3

I would also take a look at ESC - Motor bullet connectors. OOOPS EDIT - i read your first post a bit closer - re-solder bullet connector.

I would also take a look at ESC - Motor bullet connectors. OOOPS EDIT - i read your first post a bit closer - re-solder bullet connector.

yes, that has been done.

All 6 ESC's and motor has been replaced by my dealer without cost, the problem is still here, so i guess it's the Naza?!
I have resoldered all bullet connectors on the motorside with new shrink tube and all.
It's a bit better after changing the motors, but the glitching still occur. It's always motor 2 that goes down for a half a second now.
I've noticed that it only occur when i put load on the motor, either when i do heavy lifting and climb rapidly, or when i fly really fast forward.

It's taped in the middle of the F550 frame, there are wires exactly everywhere! :/

I have my FPV gear 5.8 and the camera gimbal and a remote trigger for a photo camera.
But i have flown with the same glitches even when all the equipment is powered off, but i have not removed it to test.

But the cabeling look like an eagles nest, although most of them are twisted.

kloner

Aerial DP
If this was mine, i wouldn't want any gear on it till it's figured out. This things a crash waiting to happen. Two things are running across my mind,,,,, the flight controller is being influenced by outside forces (wires hitting it could be one). if that's not causing it, there appears to be a maotor/esc issue. I've honestly never seen one intermittent glitch this long and still be around to be figured out.

A simple way to troubleshoot if a motor/esc are doing it would be to swap the motors around and see if that happens on a different side.

Hi,

I invite you to look at the blog section on page 3 to read my glitches fix involving motors connectors to ESC. That solved all my glitches issues on my FW 450 and I modified my FW 550 before its first flight! I have more than 80 flights on my FW 550 and I never was hit with the slightest glitch. That really did the job for me!

Happy landings!

Hi,

Sorry, but where do i find the blog? It sure sounds like i should read it! :)

[EDIT: found the blog, but does not soldering the cables directly to the ESC void the warranty if it do NOT work?]

Anyway,

Here is from today, i also did a bad landing and broke my graupner prop, so i really have to solve this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0RQmFALIac

Hi,

I invite you to look at the blog section on page 3 to read my glitches fix involving motors connectors to ESC. That solved all my glitches issues on my FW 450 and I modified my FW 550 before its first flight! I have more than 80 flights on my FW 550 and I never was hit with the slightest glitch. That really did the job for me!

Happy landings!

kloner

Aerial DP
whos your dealer?

Swap left motors for right motors and fly it again, see if it still goes the same way,, if so, is esc or the flight controller. if it switches sides, it's the motor. dunno how else to figure it out. don't go so high.

Hi,

My dealer is a DJI authorized dealer in sweden, Microcopter.

I did just that, but i swapped with two other motors which i had'nt sent back yet, that resulted in a small crash which broke my precious Graupner prop, so right now i'm back to DJI 10 props. :-/ I changed the motor on the left side for a third one i had lying, and for a while i thought everything was ok, i pushed it to fly like 60 or 70 km/h and a very big throw came, i lost for sure 5 or 6 meters before it straightened out again, so ... If i go low when testing, i will crash, so i have to have altitude. I'm always nervous when i'm landing.

By the way, i really appreciate all the tips i get from you !

whos your dealer?

Swap left motors for right motors and fly it again, see if it still goes the same way,, if so, is esc or the flight controller. if it switches sides, it's the motor. dunno how else to figure it out. don't go so high.

I have soldered allt motors like you said, i will also get a naza replacement from my dealer because dji told him to replace my fc.
after this, the damn thing have to quit glitching! :)

Hi,

Happy landings!

Granted, if you have the opportunity to replace the FC go ahead but I am still convinced that soldering the motor directly to the ESC is necessary. If you have a chance, why don't you burn a couple batteries hovering at 1 meter and see if you get any glitches with the wires soldered. I think you will see a big difference. Good move! It is very important to fly with confidence and that comes with time and absolutely no glitches. You will get there!

Hi, i will tryit this weekend before changing the fc just to see if there are no glitches.then we can give this tips to others with the same problem. I cant fly before the weekend because its dark so early in sweden during winter and i work full time! :)
in my case the glitches never occur during hover, it only occur during fast flight or heavy load, i think that sometimes it occured more often when the battery was almost drained.

Granted, if you have the opportunity to replace the FC go ahead but I am still convinced that soldering the motor directly to the ESC is necessary. If you have a chance, why don't you burn a couple batteries hovering at 1 meter and see if you get any glitches with the wires soldered. I think you will see a big difference. Good move! It is very important to fly with confidence and that comes with time and absolutely no glitches. You will get there!

Hi Roger,

So after around 40 - 45 flights with glitches, after switching 6 motors (which one actually was bad and made a huge difference but did not solve the glitches), and switching 6 ESC's i followed your advice and actually removed the bullet connectors and soldered the cables directly to the ESC and covered it with some nice turnigy shrink tube, i think the problem is solved. I have not changed the FC although i have a brand new one lying here on recommendation from DJI. I have thought i've solved the problem before but it has reoccured , but this afternoon i flew 2 cells, and i flew hard, high and fast.. around 60 - 70 km/h and full throttle at serveral occations, and i could'nt see any glitches. IT is pretty windy today, so there was some swaying around, but not glitch type, more like "trying to avoid blowing away" types from the GPS controller! :)

Tried attitude mode and GPS mode under torture and it was stable, even with a 8000 mah heavy batttery.
I will try some more tomorrow, it's almost dark here now (swedish winter means very short daylight).

Thankyou for giving me this information, i really hope this is it. If it works i will mount the graupners e-props and do some hefty FPV videos for you! :)

Hi,

Happy landings!

Hi again,

Happy to see that you seem to have solved the problem. Sure fixed my glitch problem since I did this modification on my FW450 and FW550. Since that time, I have well over 150 flights without any scary glitches. I even forgot about it up to the point where I received your latest message. If you haven't already done so, CHANGE IMMEDIATELY YOUR PROP FOR GRAUPNER OR APC OR ANYTHING BUT NOT DJI!!!!! They wiil break in the air after 15-20 flights if not earlier. Really throw DJI props in the garbage and save yourself some money!

Looking forward to hear from you with no glitches flying!

Rodge

Hi guys,

I can now confirm, The glitches is finally gone after soldering the connectors carefully to the esc's. I have not had a single one, and i have about 2 hours of flighttime.
I did not change the Naza controller, i don't think i have to do that either.

Thankyou all for helping me solving this, especially Kloner and Roger.

I have some new sweet moviematerial with Uppsala Castle and Linnés garden here, which i will upload as soon as i have time to edit it first.

The only issue i have now is short flight times, but i guess i have to try to lighten the ship, and get a high quality lipo, but that's not an issue, just a lot of landings and takeoffs when shooting video! :)