Running 2 5.8ghz txs simultaneously

tombrown1

Anybody know if I can run two 5.8 ghz Immersion 600 tx/rx feeds on the same rig -if they are set to separate channels?

Thanks,

Tom

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was just going to ask this very question. I swear I saw someone doing this and I was somehow surprised that it worked reliably. But how else would you get fpv for the pilot and a camera downlonk without using 2 separate freq.?

I've been doing this for a while with good results. Two 5.8 channels, spaced far apart, with left and right hand circular pola antennas for each system. It's been very reliable.

nick

Macsgrafs

I have tried this, one TX with a vertical whip, the other TX with circular antenna....works fine as long as my MR stays horizontal, in a turn/banked over my FPV receiver picks up the video downlink :(

ChrisViperM

Just curious....do you guys use two different cameras ? That would mean 2x transmitter, 2x converter, 2x receiver.....?
If it's just about that 2 different people can see the image from one camera, you only would need a receiver with dual outlet....?

Chris

tombrown1

Just curious....do you guys use two different cameras ? That would mean 2x transmitter, 2x converter, 2x receiver.....?
If it's just about that 2 different people can see the image from one camera, you only would need a receiver with dual outlet....?

Chris

Yes, two cameras - one feed from the fancy camera on the bottom for the camera operator to see, and one small cam on top so I know which way I'm headed.

Nick, where are your antennas? With a 360 pan I'm worried that as the camera operator pans, the antennas will cross each others paths. I'm assuming you have one tx on top and one on bottom?

thanks,

Tom

ChrisViperM

Chris wouldnt it be easier to do FPV on 1.3GHz & video cam on 5.8GHz

That's the way I would do it, but it's Tom who is looking for advice.....:tennis:

Should only be a problem if he's got the two 5.8 ghz Immersion 600 tx/rx already sitting at home....

Chris

kloner

Aerial DP
antennas crossing paths doesn't matter, what will make it better/worse is using two different channels at the ends of the setups ranges ie 1 & 8. We fly 4 different 5.8 setups at once and none of them are affected...... It will decrease the range, but not by much in an ap guys eyes.

tombrown1

Thanks for all the help guys.

The reason i want to do 5.8 is because I am going to be using pirate eye goggles, and i would like the antenna to be as small as possible for mobility. Is this silly? Is the 1.3 only marginally larger?

kloner

Aerial DP
avoid 1.2 and 1.3 on gps based setups,, less headache

leave it to mac to confuse us all with physics

the 900 would be better to mix with it and just use the rubber antennas, there all the same size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick, where are your antennas? With a 360 pan I'm worried that as the camera operator pans, the antennas will cross each others paths. I'm assuming you have one tx on top and one on bottom?

thanks,

Tom

Tom, somewhere on here I have a few pics of the setup. But basically the FPV TX is mounted high on a mast from the hub. It's a 400mW TX with left hand pola turbine antenna. The camera frame TX is mounted to the rear leg of a 3 axis CS gimbal. It's a 200mW TX with a right hand clover leaf antenna. So, yes, they are top and bottom about as far apart as possible.

nick

Macsgrafs

That link blew my mind. I think it is a little above my pay grade!

I'm sure there are chips (IC's) out there with MUX & DEMUX chips, would be quite easy & could also mean 2 camera feeds to one TX...now that would give you stereoscopic vision as well!!!! Let me dig into this a bit more, I have been thinking about it for a while now...bought a second DX7 to strip down & make the control full size...rudder pedals & throttle...imagine buddy boxing a real pilots seat & the pilot in the seat wearing 3D goggles!!!!! Full HUD as well...mind blowingly real...especially in my SU25 (50cc).

Ross

tombrown1

Wow! That looks great Ross. How would it work with a receiver though? With two people on the ground wanting to watch different cameras - each person could choose which feed to watch? Maybe via a radio switch? This would be pretty awesome.

Thanks,

TB

Macsgrafs

Wow! That looks great Ross. How would it work with a receiver though? With two people on the ground wanting to watch different cameras - each person could choose which feed to watch? Maybe via a radio switch? This would be pretty awesome.

Thanks,

TB

TB, each person would have thier own receiver & by a simple switch they could watch whatever camera they wanted. How about 2 FPV cams for the pilot, 2 cams for the aerial operator...both would get stereo vision!!!! you could have a cam on each side & one on the back...now the pilot has full 360 vision!

Ross

ChrisViperM

Umphf.....I think I get the idea behind this magic Multiplexer, but to me (total noob concerning electrical circuits) it looks like just a key element - similar to a CPU - to the solution. But to make it work wouldn't you also need a circuit board, resistors, switches and similar stuff.....?

Chris