Rendering with Adobe Premier, you've got to be kidding me!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Lots of people love Adobe Premier for video editing so I downloaded version 9 trial and loaded it up last night. I took a 5 minute clip I did with theCanon Vixia and applied some minor corrections to it similar to what I would use with the other software I have.

Well, it's now been rendering this file for the last 10 HOURS and says it still has an hour and 45 minutes to go!!!! That is freaking ridiculous! All I can say is what comes out on the back end had better be God's own video for the amount of time its taking.

I honestly can't see myself using this program regardless of how good the quality is if its going to take this long everytime I want to do a video edit. If I had 10 or more minutes of video to render it would quite literally take all day to do it, and this is on a computer that seldom takes more than an hour to render the same amount of video with a pile of corrections and stabilization thrown in. I've even spent a couple hundred $ for high end graphics card with a Cuda processesor to offload the rendering as much as possible with my other software, and still it takes almost 12 hours to render 5 minutes of video in Premier????

Am I missing something here or does it actually take these crazy amounts of time to use this software?

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Sounds like the demo has some rendering restrictions on it... even iMovie would do that in a couple of mins! Sumats not right there...

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hi there

dont know if this helps

i have used adobe photshop and premier in the past

a couple of things to speed this up ie system requirements may help

this maybe tricky to do on a laptop but on a desktop or tower system

you need to have a spare hdd set up as a scratch disk and stuff as much ram into to system as poss

the spare hdd is used soley as place for adobe to dump all the files to then sort and render them does not have to be a big hdd

just used for adobe nothing else can set this up in the settings etc

dont store anything else on this disk keep it empty at all times just use purely as a scratch disk for adobe

also the more ram the better

when i started using it years ago i was using about i gig of ram and things were realy slow when when i stuffed 4gig of ram into my system realy big difference ie seconds and mins compared to hours

what i am trying to say is adobe is great but you need to have a system that can run it well

memory is not that expensive nowadays compared to 5-10 years ago spare hdds have come down in price aswell

if using a laptop i supose you could partition the hdd not sure how well this would work as compared to seperate hdd

hope this helps

just a couple of things i found out

keith

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hi again

in laymans terms

processor speed not that important

lots of ram ie system memory

and spare hdd

how it works siplyfied

adobe needs to put all the files down somewhere then sort them out and rebuild the file

if using the same hdd as all your other system files and os the time is taken up when it tries to find every last last bit of infomation needed for file restructure

thats why so much faster if use a scratch disk

it just basicaly throws the file to disk then just grabs everyting on the disk to rebuild it

ie warp speed

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Maybe it is the type of file conversion. For example, if you tell it to convert avchd to quicktime, there are over 50 different types of quicktime formats. If you export as an apple animation quicktime you are going to be waiting for a while. No way it should take 10 hours though. There are hundreds of output options, if not thousands. I never had this problem though, it has to be something else going on. My one gripe which they fixed in CS5 is the need to export media to the Adobe media renderer. Now you can opt to just render it in PP which is nice. Stick with it, as Apple tried to pull away from the pro market they will lose market share and Premiere will be getting all of the attention for the amateur video makers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kilby

You have got to have something set wrong on your export file type. Try exporting to H.264. I used to work in the TV industry and we used that format for all our bumps and commercials. Looks great and keeps the file size down... plus it's still HD quality.

-Terry

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I started this thread back in March, the demo has long since expired as has the computer it was running on. I guess I can't complain that computer gave great service for close to 6 years.

In any case the replacement is much bigger, better, faster, etc, etc. I never did warm up to Adobe so I now use Avid on the new box, can render anything in a matter of a few minutes and it does everything I need it do, or at least it has so far. Just got my Nex 5N late today, very impressed and I can't wait to get out and try some video with it then have to see if it looks as good coming out of Avid as it does going in. The GoPro video does but the 5N is something else entirely...

Ken