Remote shutter setup

Sebas600

How do you to the triggering of the camera?

- What camera do you use?
- Is it via cable, servo or hack? (is it DIY cable or bought)
- What settings do you use on the camera?
- any tips?

thanks

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
How do you to the triggering of the camera?

- What camera do you use?
- Is it via cable, servo or hack? (is it DIY cable or bought)
- What settings do you use on the camera?
- any tips?

thanks

I have two that I use for stills, a small Canon SX 200, and a Sony Nex 5N.

The Canon uses CHDK with an intervalometer script that will take shots at whatever I set for the interval and for as many shots as I want, all configurable parameters. Kind of a spray and pray method but since digital exposures are essentially free (as opposed to using film) it works fairly well. Get as many shots as you want and then just pick out the good ones, keep moving the multi around and varying the height to get shots from as many angles as flight time will allow.

For the Sony I use a GentLED connected to an unused channel on the TX and controlled by a 3 position switch. One position is off, and then there's a single shot mode on another and a continuous mode on the last. With an FPV cam and video downlink I can see very close to what the camera sees and line up single shots, or do like I do with the Canon and turn on continuous mode and just fly around.

Because of the ever changing light conditons when flying, especially if you change direction and angle a lot, I tend to use the built in automatic modes and then make any necessary adjustments in software after the fact. Gives me the greatest chance for getting decent shots from all angles without having to land and change camera settings as I would if I was using manual settings. If I really, really, really want to get the best shot possible then I'll use manual but it could take several tries to get it right, the light at ground level is not necessarily the same as it will be where the camera is in the air. If you do it enough you can develop a sense for what adjustments to make, I don't do a lot of stills so the auto mode works best for me.

Ken

Bowley

Funny that, as I type I'm just working on CHDK firmware install for my canon p&s so I can use GentwireUSB
As it looks likes a certain elusive XA reseller in the US is never going to send me my bought and paid for XA mount trigger mech.

Sebas600

The Canon uses CHDK with an intervalometer script that will take shots at whatever I set for the interval and for as many shots as I want, all configurable parameters. Kind of a spray and pray method but since digital exposures are essentially free (as opposed to using film) it works fairly well. Get as many shots as you want and then just pick out the good ones, keep moving the multi around and varying the height to get shots from as many angles as flight time will allow.

For the Sony I use a GentLED connected to an unused channel on the TX and controlled by a 3 position switch. One position is off, and then there's a single shot mode on another and a continuous mode on the last. With an FPV cam and video downlink I can see very close to what the camera sees and line up single shots, or do like I do with the Canon and turn on continuous mode and just fly around.

Because of the ever changing light conditons when flying, especially if you change direction and angle a lot, I tend to use the built in automatic modes and then make any necessary adjustments in software after the fact. Gives me the greatest chance for getting decent shots from all angles without having to land and change camera settings as I would if I was using manual settings. If I really, really, really want to get the best shot possible then I'll use manual but it could take several tries to get it right, the light at ground level is not necessarily the same as it will be where the camera is in the air. If you do it enough you can develop a sense for what adjustments to make, I don't do a lot of stills so the auto mode works best for me.

Ken

Thanks Ken this is a very helpful piece.

For live view, do you use an extra small FPV cam lined up with the large cam? Or do you actually use the camera itself?

Sebas

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Thanks Ken this is a very helpful piece.

For live view, do you use an extra small FPV cam lined up with the large cam? Or do you actually use the camera itself?

Sebas

A small FPV cam mounted on the camera platform, the view isn't exactly the same as the main camera but close enough. To do live video feed with a NEX 5N requires mounting a large HDMI to AV converter along with the FPV TX, the FPV gear by itself is smaller and lighter and I don't find the minor difference in view to be a problem.

Ken

Esben

Triggers

Hi, me and a couple of friends went through a couple of triggers before we began the quest of making one of our own. We wanted it to be simple, and customizable. And so we did, and we were quite happy with the result. At least it works for us :) We called it the StratoSnapper! :) check it out if you like: www.LittleSmartThings.com

Looking ahead, and to other possibilities, I wanted to ask what features you really use on a trigger, and perhaps what you wish were there?

Best
Esben

homer911

Ken

Hi Ken,

Where do you plug the IR TX into? Is it the receiver or the flight controller ( in my case the WKM ) ?