R&D Hex for Survey/Imaging/Conservation

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I don't think it will have too much flex at only a bit over 155mm. The aluminum angle I used was fairly thick (1/8"???) and rigid - but not so heavy to throw off a build.

Extra stand offs even better.

Mactadpole

102-157mm rail distance. Even better!

Expanded-Mouting-system1-200x200.jpg

crayfellow

hey @Motopreserve I found 1/8" (and 1/16") angle aluminum at the local hardware. The one that seemed the right size is 3/4" on a side, or about 19mm. Is that the size you have found success with? Then I'd just poke through grommets to match whatever I end up with.

I wasn't able to find extra aluminum standoffs and such so I may just have to order them from DigiKey or McMaster. I'm sure there is a place in the Twin Cities but I don't know about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That sounds right. I'll check when I get to the shop. You need a fairly large size for allowing room for the grommet.

Hex standoffs have been elusive for me - even in Brooklyn, and for sure if I want to remain metric. So I just ordered from McMaster. Order some extra/various sizes to make the shipping worth it. You'll use them! :)

crayfellow

I'm sure I'm doing something completely wrong with the motor mounts. The QuadFrame mounts look like this:
View attachment 24979

The center hole has to allow for a retainer on the bottom of the motor shaft which is in place via set screws:
View attachment 24980

4 motors in, I noticed the motors do not spin freely due to binding on the set screws. The adapters provided by KDE look like this, with a much larger center hole:
View attachment 24981

But they seem incompatible with the QuadFrame mounts:
View attachment 24982

I am hoping I am missing something! Otherwise should these mounts not bind like that and the set screws should not be protruding at all?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433897104.207603.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433897104.207603.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 250
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433897164.608107.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433897164.608107.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 248
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433897224.061321.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433897224.061321.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 244
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433897252.329325.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433897252.329325.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 222

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
IIRC I may have sanded/filed out a bit to allow for clearance. It's not binding by much, correct?

Perfect tool for this is a "body reamer" from hobby store. Used to cut/ream holes in Lexan bodies of RC vehicles. They get progressively larger along a cone - so if you keep them centered and upright - should shave in a proper circle.

crayfellow

thank you - Patrick (KDE) suggested just making the hole 1mm bigger too.

Happy to know I'm not crazy (at least with respect to this topic)!

crayfellow

That sounds right. I'll check when I get to the shop. You need a fairly large size for allowing room for the grommet.

Hex standoffs have been elusive for me - even in Brooklyn, and for sure if I want to remain metric. So I just ordered from McMaster. Order some extra/various sizes to make the shipping worth it. You'll use them! :)
Is your angle aluminum 1/8" thick and 3/4" on a side?

Also did you use standard grommets (like maybe 3/8" from a hardware store) or order metric grommets made for 12mm tube (if so, what size?)

Thanks!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I forgot to measure that for you at the shop. Older a reminder to do so tomorrow.

I think I ordered 12mm grommets from Amazon.

crayfellow

@Motopreserve I had a thought. What if I used 2 pieces straight aluminum bar and just bolted regular 12mm nylon tube clamps to that? Then each straight bar would bind 2 standoffs to the frame, adding stiffness so I wouldn't have to drill an additional hole into the frame. Since the gimbal already had vibration dampening it doesn't seem like I "need" grommets for that purpose, that would simply be an alternate way to mount the tubes.

I ordered some 12mm boom blocks from QuadFrame so I can give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I was thinking awhile back that you could have simply used the tarot style grommet mounts on the frame. Just wasn't sure how that would effect your center plates.

The aluminum wouldn't hurt - but I'm not sure it's necessary except for easier spacing of the bolts on he centers plate.

crayfellow

I was thinking awhile back that you could have simply used the tarot style grommet mounts on the frame. Just wasn't sure how that would effect your center plates.

The aluminum wouldn't hurt - but I'm not sure it's necessary except for easier spacing of the bolts on he centers plate.
the idea is that it allows me to use the 4 holes/standoffs I have instead of having to drill 4 additional holes to allow for individual clamps that have 2 screw points each. It would be tricky to put the heads somewhere that would clear the folding arms. The 4 heads that retain the standoffs that are there have recesses in the frame so they clear the arms.

But yeah, I thought about that too.

The thing that bugged me was that it seemed to me like the Tarot thing was oddly difficult to find, and not available anywhere I looked in the US.