Questions about Teradek IP and RF transmitters? Ask away!

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to reach out to answer any questions you may have about the technology that goes into our wireless products. I know many of you are very familiar with RF transmitters, but there seems to be a lot of confusion about IP video devices like our Cube and Clip products. There are no dumb questions so lets hear 'em!

Some quick background: Teradek manufactures wireless video devices for a variety of industries. We were recently acquired by the Vitec Group, which also owns Anton Bauer, IMT, Sachtler, Manfrotto, and many others. All of our products are designed, manufactured, and assembled at our Orange County, California HQ.

Bolt 2000
RF / 2000ft range / less than 1ms delay / uncompressed HD video
www.teradek.com/pages/bolt

Bolt Pro
RF / 300ft range / less than 1ms delay / uncompressed HD video
www.teradek.com/pages/bolt

Clip
IP / H.264 compression / ~4 frame latency / variable range / HD video
www.teradek.com/pages/clip

Cube
IP / H.264 compression / ~4 frame latency / variable range / HD video
www.teradek.com/pages/cube

And for the real techie:

Bond
Bonded IP network transmission / H.264 compression / variable latency / range: wherever there is a 3G/4G signal / HD video
www.teradek.com/pages/bond

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Maybe some links to your kit would help for those who do not know Teradek

Welcome to the forum.

Dave

Thanks Dave! Been lurking for a while so I thought i'd jump into the conversation. I've updated the original post with more info.

kloner

Aerial DP
are you the guy we met at Asics in Irvine a month or so back? Came up to us while we were flying?

kloner

Aerial DP
that sounds right, yellow car. i wanted to talk to him but i was busy....

20140130061905-7faaa477-la.jpg

What is the latest offering you guys released? i had no idea there was so many?

The latest transmitter is the Bolt Pro 2000, which sends uncompressed HD video up to 2000ft at less than 1ms of delay. This is a heavier unit (~8oz) than the others I have listed so its better suited to the larger copters like a CineStar. The unit performs best when line of sight, but it shouldn't have much of an issue going through objects provided they're not concrete, brick, or something else that is completely solid.

Prior to the Bolt Pro 2000, we released Clip which is IP based. Its a completely different workflow, allowing for real-time HD monitoring on iPads, iPhones, Android devices, and soon computers. The latency is about 3 to 4 frames and since its IP based, the range can be extended to great lengths by adding additional access points or high gain antennas. We plan on releasing a number of new additions to this line of products that will better suit the UAV enthusiasts.

Cube has been around for a while and is the older brother to Clip. This is a professional encoder with a ton of features including webcasting, point to point broadcasting, and iPad monitoring.

Bond is primarily used in ENG, but we've had a few customers put them on their copters so they can broadcast right to the Web mid-flight. This is a serious piece of gear and a lot of fun to use since you can go live just about anywhere.

kloner

Aerial DP
nice,,, i like the looks of bolt 2000. you say computers soon, mac? does it support oled? how many outputs are in one system?

Whats the price point for a unit like that? What does the system do when it gets a weak signal? is there any clips of one of these going in and out? We fly skyjibs and bigger so weight doesn't matter.

that bond thing is out of control, you use the multiple phones to stream all the hd data into one spot?

Electro 2

Bolt Pro 2000, which sends uncompressed HD video up

Ok here's one, (a question), for you. I tend to doubt the above statement. Uncompressed HD video in 180P form, is about 3 Gb per second. What sort of TX RF bandwidth do we have going here? And where is it in the spectrum ?

@Electro: Proof of the range can be seen here: https://vimeo.com/82254348

Frequency info:

Non-DFS: 5.19 ~ 5.23 GHz and 5.755 ~ 5.795 GHz
DFS: 5.27 ~ 5.55 GHz and 5.67 GHz

It supports full 1080p60. Reviews from a few customers (Nick Parker, Jon Beattie, Robert Starling): http://www.steadicamforum.com/index.php?showtopic=19495&page=4

@KLoner: Streaming right into computers is for Clip and Cube, but we have something coming out for the Bolt line at NAB so keep an eye out for that. No OLED screen on the Bolt, but there is one on Cube. The Bolt 2000 TX sends a single video feed w/ audio. The TX has a 3G-SDI input and looping output. The RX has dual 3G-SDI outputs. I wish I could tell you what we have coming for this product line at NAB, but you'll have to wait until April!

The price point is $7990 for a set. That might seem steep to certain crowds, but its actually a bargain when compared to existing systems like the Boxx Meridian. Weak signals will show blockiness in the video and eventual blackout during a complete disconnect. Reconnect times are usually less than 2 seconds depending on the level of interference. The video I linked above will show you what a cutout looks like when you go beyond the rated range of the product (looks about the same with wireless interference).

I love the Bond. Its probably one of my favorite devices we manufacture. You can bond together 6 3G/4G modems into a single unit from any carrier you like for an aggregated bandwidth pipe. Even better, you can combine 3G/4G modems, Ethernet, WiFi, and BGAN satellite connections on the unit as well. Pretty gnarly tech!

Last edited by a moderator:

Flubbs

HI Mike,

Just bought a cube pair in the UK, along with an Intratec bridge 2 for the wifi range, do you know if anyone has fitted yet to an S800 ? just curious before i start out afresh.... cheers steve

HI Mike,

Just bought a cube pair in the UK, along with an Intratec bridge 2 for the wifi range, do you know if anyone has fitted yet to an S800 ? just curious before i start out afresh.... cheers steve

Hey Flubbs,

I haven't spoken to anyone specifically about the S800, but I'm certain we have a few clients out there using one. Ill ask around the office to see if anybody has heard anything.

Flubbs

Hi Mike,

thanks for that, made up the power leads this morning, god i love lemo connectors, at least these are only two pin!! cant wait to get it on the platform with the GH4, cheers for any info.

steve

Hi Mike,

thanks for that, made up the power leads this morning, god i love lemo connectors, at least these are only two pin!! cant wait to get it on the platform with the GH4, cheers for any info.

steve

Lemo really is the best! If I hear anything about the S800 and our gear, ill reach out immediately :)

maxwelltub

Just want to jump in and say I've used the clip/cube combo with a wifi extender and it works great! With the latency its really suited towards wide landscape or real-estate shots, not recommended for heavy action. But great solution for the price.

Just want to jump in and say I've used the clip/cube combo with a wifi extender and it works great! With the latency its really suited towards wide landscape or real-estate shots, not recommended for heavy action. But great solution for the price.

Awesome! Send me some pictures if you get a chance. Would love to see it all in action!

Mike @ Teradek . com

Flubbs

Awesome! Send me some pictures if you get a chance. Would love to see it all in action!

Mike @ Teradek . com

Hi Mike, have sent you an email with some questions, but have fitted the kits looks spot on in the places, will send some pictures tomorrow.