QuadCopter, first try.

SoCal Blur

Ugly indeed. I end up with big globs of CA on the hubs when I'm done balancing the GemFan. But they DO balance - which is more than I can say for the HK. It's only been in the past few days where I starting reading about them (HK plastic) breaking mid-flight. That's 2 strikes - and I don't think we need a third strike in this situation :)

I need to get some HQ to try out. The APC feels instantly higher quality. So if HQ is similar - I'm game.

APC is the way to go. Also an FYI on Gemfan props if you are going to use them. It works much better (and looks better) to add tape to the underside of the light side of the prop (leading and trailing edges of that side), than to add CA to the hub itself. The problem is that it isn't the hub at all but, in fact, one side of the prop is much heavier than the other. You could use a combination of tape on the light side and sanding the heavy side but I wouldn't recommend only sanding the heavy side. You would have to remove quite a bit of material and it may compromise the structural integrity of the prop or change the airfoil shape enough to cause issues.

jbrumberg

"They" the "experts" say the HQProps are "knockoffs" of the Graupner props at a much lower cost? I have not tried them yet. I have not tried much yet due to the weather:dejection:

Thank you SoCal Blur. I ruined one prop by sanding it down to the point I questioned it structural integrity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
SoCal,

After a ton of research and watching videos, I've sort of developed my own process of balancing where I go back and forth between blade and hub. I get the blades close - and then quickly move to the hub to check, since it seems to me that each adjustment can effect the other.

With the GemFans that I had - both blade and hub were off. I don't think in my experience I could say the hub was perfect - and just the blades were way off. I only balance with CA and tape. I'm too wimpy to sand down the blades. I do file/sand the hub a bit sometimes if needed (more with the HK cheapies).

It should be noted (Jay) that I have been using the GemFans that are more like the APC style. I did order a set of the ones that are Graupner knock offs (much thinner) - but I haven't tried to balance these yet.

This is just my experience - I could be doing this all completely wrong :)

jbrumberg

I recently saw another video and another way to balance props. I think that makes two new videos on how to balance props (to me) in 3 weeks. Of course which balancer one has does make a difference in technique or mix of techniques. There is definitely a science to this.

SoCal Blur

SoCal,

After a ton of research and watching videos, I've sort of developed my own process of balancing where I go back and forth between blade and hub. I get the blades close - and then quickly move to the hub to check, since it seems to me that each adjustment can effect the other.

With the GemFans that I had - both blade and hub were off. I don't think in my experience I could say the hub was perfect - and just the blades were way off. I only balance with CA and tape. I'm too wimpy to sand down the blades. I do file/sand the hub a bit sometimes if needed (more with the HK cheapies).

It should be noted (Jay) that I have been using the GemFans that are more like the APC style. I did order a set of the ones that are Graupner knock offs (much thinner) - but I haven't tried to balance these yet.

This is just my experience - I could be doing this all completely wrong :)

Just for clarification, I do start with blade balancing. Once i get them balanced, then I work on the "hub". My point is, that its not really the hub that is out of balance. Its that one side of the blades (the same side where the hub seems to be heavy) is heavier than the other. That is why you have to use a ton of CA on the hub. Its not really the hub that is out of balance. It's the blades them selves... not the left blade compared to the right blade. That is easily balanced with tape. But side to side. I found this out through trial and error. Even removing material from the hub and adding CA to the opposite side. It's not the hub (although the hole might be a bit off center) it's the blades themselves. I think you'll find that, after balance the blades so that the prop sits horizontally perfect and then determine which side of the "hub" is heavy, adding tape to the underneath leading and trailing edges of that side works a lot better and looks a lot better as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I now understand what you mean. I'll give that a shot next time. But I have to say - after getting my hands on these APCs - I am now considering these my "budget" props, and will only be looking to try higher quality than these. Not sure what those would be, perhaps carbon fiber once I stop crashing so much :)

SoCal Blur

I now understand what you mean. I'll give that a shot next time. But I have to say - after getting my hands on these APCs - I am now considering these my "budget" props, and will only be looking to try higher quality than these. Not sure what those would be, perhaps carbon fiber once I stop crashing so much :)

Oh, I absolutely agree that APC is the way to go. CF is better but more $$ and more likely to break and also more dangerous if you get hit by them.

jbrumberg

It's also too cold temperature-wise at the momnet in the NE CONUS for CF props. They get too brittle when it is this cold. I am with Scott- I need to break a few more plastic "budget" props before I step up. Once I start to run through my supply of Gemfans, I will look carefully at APC's. I did not know that the Gemfans were "similar" in design to the APC's.

CF is also a nasty, nasty material if one has to cut or sand it.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Jay!!!! What are you talking about? Right now it's too cold that I think my body would snap before I even got the quad fired up :). Man, I need this winter to end. Right now!

they do make both kinds of props I guess. I have them both (witespy) is where I got them. He carries the skinnier Graupner style as well as the ones shaped more like APC.

McMaiden

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Are you saying you can't find APC props over there in Spain???

Do you order from England at all? Or is it too expensive?

The ones you linked are copies of the APC, but I haven't used them so I'm not sure of the material used. Maybe someone else has some first-hand experience with them.

jbrumberg

McMaiden- You need both CW and CCW props. Motors 1 and 3 are CW Motors 2 and 4 are CCW. One needs to put the correct prop on the correct motor. Not doing so can make one crazy. I speak from personal experience. I have to thank Scot for setting me straight on proper prop and motor assignment and for clarification. "R" means CW rotation. There are no "L" identifying letters on the CCW props either. I hope this info helps.