Props and how important they can be to your video

zx12rcarl

i guess this post is for anyone new to multi rotors and filming video from the air.
the importance of well balanced good quality props for your multi rotor makes the world of difference to videos from the air
and your flights... as ive found out the hard way after throwing a blade in flight, lots of poor video, allso the cost and hours of trying to balance cheap china props
to find all my video is unusable or you endup crashing your multi rotor.
i did 2 small videos from the same F550 hex with a hard mounted gopro just so you can see what a difference to videos props make.

Video 1 = with cheap china props ( balanced them best i can )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTACGhs9IgI

Video 2 = with Graupner E-props ( i didnt balance them just put on and fly )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlkuU81E8jI

well i hope this helps save time and money for people getting into mutirotors and im sure others out there can add there input to this post

Nice, i have graupners on my F550 wookong, just shot some video today with the gopro slung on a xaircraft gimble, no vibrations at all! But, always a but lol im unsure as i have the gains where i need them gimbal settings aswell. Right now its 110,110, 120,130. Atti at 80,80
Ill post my vid later and maybe you can give me some feedback... Or tell my if im being too picky for my equipment

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

zx12rcarl

yes that be brill to have look at your video i bet its loads better than most of my stuff... as ive had a lot of bad luck with videos from the start like i say most down to
poor cameras and very poor props. i think a gimble is next on my list after my fpv stuff comes :)

powerplay

Hi Elliott,

i read in another forum, that not other props fiting with DJI F550. You have Graupner, i will buy them too!
Ho do you built them to the F550? Without any changing the original system? Are they fiting on the original DJI Motors?

thx

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapner 10" fit right on no problem. Grapnuer 9" i had to drill out half the shaft hole because it stepped in... Easy fix though. I ended up flying the 10's with a 4s on my 550 setup

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

jamienz

anyone got a link to somewhere I can buy these mythical beasts from? Looking for some 10" Graupners for my F550 but can't find em anywhere!

jamienz

Im in New Zealand. I have tried the local "Distributors" who don't carry stock and can't seem to find them anywhere else!

Macsgrafs

Carl, firstly may I say the graupners are far better, no contest & secondly why havent you got the mrs operating the cam whilst you fly ;)

Ross

zx12rcarl

Carl, firstly may I say the graupners are far better, no contest & secondly why havent you got the mrs operating the cam whilst you fly ;)

Ross

hay ross, tryed her with a camera that day lol ..... when i got back an check the video all i got was 10min video of some ducks and 3 photos of some grass and 1 photo of her shoes hehehehhee
looks like she`s as good at video as me lmao

zx12rcarl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXpg1T5RHxQ

H
eres what i shot, Wookong gains 110,110,120,125 Attitude 80,80..... still want the hexa to b a bit more stable, lus i cant tell if the gimbal is overcorrecting or not lol... all new to me, planty of messin around ahead, that was on graupner 10,s 4s

hi elliott real nice video mate... yup see what you mean now with the left n right swing type thing in the video... maybe its the gimbal. ive not had a gimbal yet so not much help with that. id have a mess around with it and keep testing... you will get there in the end mate. other then that its brill and id be happy with that.

Macsgrafs

hay ross, tryed her with a camera that day lol ..... when i got back an check the video all i got was 10min video of some ducks and 3 photos of some grass and 1 photo of her shoes hehehehhee
looks like she`s as good at video as me lmao

No worries mate, she's showing promise ;) ;)
If you get a gimbal & have a camera operator for the gimbal (which leaves you free to concentrate on flying only), then you are getting her involved, which means you get permission to buy even more goodies that you just cant live without ;) of course you might need to up her shoe alowance a bit, but she did drop you a hint with the filming of her shoes ;)

Ross

eyeball

On my 450 I have the standard props fitted and a gopro hardmounted underneath. I normally balance all my props but on this one 450 I never did and I pretty happy with the outcome. If i brake one then i'll probably change to Graupner but as the old saying goes...if it aint broke..lol
Here's a vid of my 450 set up...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-2BFzWWyXk

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
APC also do some good electric counter rotating props. Well balanced and vibration free.

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macsgrafs

APC also do some good electric counter rotating props. Well balanced and vibration free.

Regards,

Gunter.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to balance all my APCE props, sanding wasn't to bad, but still had to do it.

Ross

xvin

Do you check tracking after you balance?

Speaking of props, do any of you bother to check tracking? If so, what tolerance do you allow if any?