Polarized Lens

rwilabee

If you could put a polarized lens filter on a gropro would you use a Linear or Circular Polarized lens filter.

Rich

Macsgrafs

CP filter all the way. They only work when the filter is at 90 degrees to the light source..eg sun.

Ross

rwilabee

I'm going to have to figure out how to tell if 90 degrees to the sun since I won't be able to see thru the lens. I bought one of those adapters to put on the gopro so I can use 55mm filters to experiment with.

Macsgrafs

With the darkened glass of the filter, you will find that it smoothes down the gopro quite nicely. The gopro has fixed F stop & auto speed, so darekened glass reduces the shutter speed, smoothing things out nicely. You can tell if the CP filter is working properly, hold it up to the blue sky & turn it as you look at any clouds...see how they take on more definition & the blue becomes darker, you could also look at water & watch the reflection come & go.

Ross

rwilabee

That works. I could look thru the case without the camera to find the correct spot to turn the lens to. I guess other filters would add some neat effects to the gopro also.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I'm going to have to figure out how to tell if 90 degrees to the sun since I won't be able to see thru the lens. I bought one of those adapters to put on the gopro so I can use 55mm filters to experiment with.

Where did you get the adaptor from?

Dave

jes1111

A polarizing filter is not terribly useful on an ultra-wide lens like that of the GoPro (or anything more than about 24mm on a full-frame SLR) since the degree of polarization in the light varies so much within the lens' angle of view that you end up with an uneven "darkening" effect across the frame.