Pletternberg motors

Munch

Okay, although we're still argueing with Plettenberg to get the money back, I will post our experiences since the first SkyJibs are falling from the sky:

We started to test the engines back in February with the Herkules board II v3, but two boards went up in flames during testing at about 50% power. This happened to another user in the MK- forum aswell, but we could not find any solution nor a problem which caused this, and the producers could not help us either, so we tried the standard BL-Ctrls 2.0 and ordered the Aerodrive board aswell.

We did some tests on the ground and had to adapt the max_setpoint value for different prop combinations, since the engines ran into rpm commutation problems at higher speeds. Not a big problem, this happens with other engines aswell.

But we saw another problem during the tests, which you can see here too:
http://youtu.be/EIR4DlNYrro

When hoovering and applying a faster throttle burst, you run into a torque overload. The engines can't deliver the torque to spin up the props fast enough and the copter starts to tilt away, engines start to scream the same time ->
see this video at about 1:00 after the fade out/fade in: http://youtu.be/EIR4DlNYrro
You can here this strange noise, similar to DKTeks video and you have a huge power loss which causes the copter to roll to a side. This happens with the standard MK-Bls aswell and even with 15x4 props and 14x5 props, which we tested afterwards.

The collegue from Germany who had issues with the Herkules board and the Orbits, did some tests too and experienced the same thing.

Soon after that, user achta who lives in my hometown, had similar issues. He had a small crash with this setup before and sent his engines and his Beta-Aerodrive in to the manufacturers for a hardware check, but everything seemed fine according to them. After getting the parts back, achta did some further checking with our input, and experienced the same problems with the Orbit 15 and Orbit 10.

The problem is now, that neither the distributor nor the manufacturer of the engines could help us. Aerodron (manufacturer of the Aerodrive) gave us some hints, but they're using Orbit 15 with slightly changed specs.
A Plettenberg technician explained the problems quite well to us, and gave us an advice to use much smaller props (12" for example) or go up to the Orbit 20 series (for quite a lot of cash of course).

The distributor (Dirk) called us individual cases and claimed, that hundreds of users are very happy with the engines and nobody has found any flaws till than. He said that he had tested hundreds of different setups and never experienced these problems. It got quite rude, and since then we're three companies sitting here with engines (achta has 30 of them) we can't use.

I sent my engines back to Plettenberg last week, since I bought them directly from them, and I hope I will get my money back.

The PDF from Dirk clearly stated a thrust table with 5s and 15x4 APC prop, and he wrote in the MK-Forum that these engines are especially "designed for the MK-Bl Ctrl 2.0".
Well, at least he is now stating, that you should stick to 4s instead of 5s. Too late for some of us.

Sorry DKTek for holding back these first hand information, but the manufacturer and the distributor told us not to post any of this issues on the internet. Nevertheless I'm doing it know, since this can cost a lot of money and even cause serious injuries...

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

One more thing:

We're using the Kontronic Kora 15/16 engines and the KW8 from kopterworx now, with 5s and Aerodrive. No problems at all.

DKTek

Wow, that is exactly what my machine did before crashing. Now I have a very expensive machine that is grounded with a broken speed controller, AV200/360 gimbal, retracts and motors that are questionable.

I too based my configuration on the recommendations of the dealers and manufactures. My machine was built and flown within the advertised specs of both the Plettys and the AEROdrive 8. The combo is also advertised on the DroidWorx site.

I bought my motors from Pano-Dirk as well. Curious that he hasn't posted anything about this on this US forum like he did on the German forum. What gives? Who will take responsibility for the recommended failures of such expensive components?

A friend and I were discussing motors the other day and something came to us... Why was AXI the preferred motor when during our fixed and rotory wings days, the Hacker purple motors were the choice and AXI's were considered a cheap purchase? Even the guy who flew on a custom Multi-Rotor chose the Hackers as his life line. Why aren't people using Hackers for Multi-Rotor use?

Munch

Well, manufacturer and dealer of the Orbits are still consultingresistant, it seems that the engines are the problem.
Since there is another big company having these issues, it will hopefully come to an end.

DKTek

Thanks again Munch. The info here is better than from the service techs whom have not followed up with there own email.

So, in the mean time, I'll continue declining jobs for the SkyJib. 3 so far, and one was the History Chanel.

Munch

Sorry about your Aerodrive, we burnt (with flames!) two Hercules II v3 aswell in January, but still don't know what caused this.

Since we really tested a lot of different prop combinations, escapes and engines in the last months, we can say that the Orbit 15 are not suitable (at least ours) for Mutlrotor use (in combination with the MK Bls oder Aerodrive). I don't know if we are exceptions, but I won't buy any Plettenberg engines anymore.

DKTek

I don't know if we are exceptions, but I won't buy any Plettenberg engines anymore.

This is my first Pletty experience. I will give them a little time to address this and react before I make the same statement. But, their response will determine my future opinion as they are supposed to be top notch and should prove so.

Munch

This is my first Pletty experience. I will give them a little time to address this and react before I make the same statement. But, their response will determine my future opinion as they are supposed to be top notch and should prove so.
The same here, now I would be glad to get my money back. But I wish you good luck!

DKTek

Thanks Munch. I just PM'ed Pano-Dirk about this. We'll see what happens.

I'd be happy with a motor exchange as long as they prove, with a video, that the new recommendation actually works as advertised. I want to see it perform with a simulated load, on a test stand, for a full flight time with some throttled climbs and descents.

JLO

Gentleman I am a fairly new pilot my experience is nothing like yours my experience is in the filming world DP, Steadicam Op for the last 20 years, so I am coming in to this multi-rotors from the opposite end of using this evolving technology to film or photograph REAL PAYING JOBS, I have been very slow on my build to make sure every step is done right consulting and consulting the dealers and the makers, reading and reading the posts to get the correct info, perhaps in my case I was lucky that I have not fly yet I did not ended with a crash is too bad what happen to some of you and recently to DKTek the bottom line is that any one that choose a heavy lift like a Skyjib is almost 100% committed to fly professionally, and probably invested in the best gear paying top $$ so we owe to ourselves to make sure that the Dealers and manufacture of this "top of the line products" do what is right to us the customers and find the correct compenation
DKTek damage part of his craft, and lost some very good paying jobs, but just imagine that he was on a job with clients a camera lens etc....and a crash.....that was not his fault....then it goes...the job, the client, the camera, the lens, insurance, reputation, or worst a human on the ground and so on, he is in a way lucky that it happened on a test.

This is the responce I received for Plettenberg when I asked them about the innability of the Orbit 15-20 to run a prop larger than 12 inches.

"the motors are technical totally fine. There is no mistake in the technic or material. The discussed problems are the result of wrong using. We never recommended a using with a 15x4”. We recommend the motors with a maximal prop of 13x4” not more. If you´ll use the motors with that prop, you wont have problems.

So there won´t be a recall of the motor or a replacement.

If you´ll have any more questions feel free to contact us.

Best regards

Diana Plettenberg
TEAM Plettenberg
"

View attachment 4318

Attachments

• Multicopter.jpg
    Multicopter.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 449

Munch

This is the responce I received for Plettenberg when I asked them about the innability of the Orbit 15-20 to run a prop larger than 12 inches.

"the motors are technical totally fine. There is no mistake in the technic or material. The discussed problems are the result of wrong using. We never recommended a using with a 15x4”. We recommend the motors with a maximal prop of 13x4” not more. If you´ll use the motors with that prop, you wont have problems.

Best regards

Diana Plettenberg
TEAM Plettenberg
"

Well, 13x4 is tiny, then you can also stick with MK3638. Less weight, less than half the price.

JLO

I would like to ask very calmly very polite and civilized to member Pano-Dirk the exclusive dealer of the special edition Plettenberg Orbit 15-20 motors to explain to all of us "fools" that bought this motors what is his take, what is his explanation of the above Plettenberg company answer on this mater after all he repeatedly affirm and stated on this forum, on his website, and on private emails of the specks and prop recommendation for the Plettenberg 15-20 special edition multirotor motors, after all I am sure apart from his own knowledge and expertise he had to have several technical meetings with the Plettenberg staff at the time of the development of this motors so Plettenberg company had to know what he was advertising the motors capability, fellow members com on Plettenberg had to know.
My self and many other users trusted,YES TRUSTED, your advice and expertise.

Now as of April of 2012

15-5 props "NO"
14-4 props "NO"
Aerodrive "NO"
MK BL Ctrl "NO"
Herkules ll "NO"
5S Lipo "NO"

13-4 Props "yes" (according to Plettenberg)
Speed controller ???
4S ???

PLEASE SOMEONE CORECT ME I HAVE TO BE WRONG

Here is a post specs ad on this forum back on 09-03-2011

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...new-Droidworx-airframe/page5&highlight=skyjib
page 44

Here are the details:

Plettenberg Orbit 15-Copter Series
  • brushless motor extra modified for Droidworx SKIJIB and other big copter
  • aligned for 5S LiPo
Technical data:
KV: 720
weight ca.: 170 g
shaft-diameter: 5 mm
cells: 4-5 LiPo

Advantages:
  • 3 bearings
  • top and bottom side of the bell with a bearing, precision thin ring ball bearing to fix the housing at the bottom
  • two times dynamically fine balanced
  • coils are wound by hand to a high density
  • vibration free running
  • excellent running characteristics
  • handmade manufactured in Germany
  • only the highest-grade materials are used
  • high degrees of efficiency
Price 159,- € (incl. 19% tax) / Price 133,61 € (excl. 19% tax)

Propeller 14“x4“
4S LiPo, 15,7 volt
Propeller APC 15“x4“
4S LiPo, 15,7 volt
Propeller APC 15“x4“
5S LiPo, 20 volt

<tbody>
</tbody>

current
in A
rpmthrust
grams
current
in A
rpmthrust
grams
current
in A
rpmthrust
gram

<tbody>
</tbody>

Ordering: info@kadler.de
Payment methods: PayPal

Kadler – Multicopter and Accessoires
Luetge Voehde 24
44388 Dortmund
Germany

JLO

We never recommended a using with a 15x4”. We recommend the motors with a maximal prop of 13x4” not more. If you´ll use the motors with that prop, you wont have problems.

Best regards

Diana Plettenberg
TEAM Plettenberg
"

View attachment 5893[/QUOTE]

The motors as far as I know and search, and as far as other members ask the question, that the motors Plettenberg 15-20 where not on the Plettenberg website the answer was that this motors are a special edition and you can only by them through Pano-Dirk so how did Plettenberg recommended the prop size if the motors were not on their website for us CUSTOMERS to read.

DKTek

Classic "FALSE ADVERTISEMENT" scam. International laws doesn't protect against that. But this can be reported to paypal and the BBB.

€1,207.72 EUR
$1,675.44 USD = €1,207.72 EUR
1 USD = 0.720840EUR
September 25, 2011
Bank account

<tbody>
<th style="background-color:#eee; text-align:right; font-weight:normal; color:#333; margin:0px" width="180">Amount:</th>
<th style="background-color:#eee; text-align:right; font-weight:normal; color:#333; margin:0px" width="180">Currency conversion:</th>
<th style="background-color:#eee; text-align:right; font-weight:normal; color:#333; margin:0px" width="180">Exchange rate:</th>
<th style="background-color:#eee; text-align:right; font-weight:normal; color:#333; margin:0px" width="180">Sent on:</th>
<th style="background-color:#eee; text-align:right; font-weight:normal; color:#333; margin:0px" width="180">Payment method:</th>
</tbody>
Sincerely,
PayPal

Of course, there's always Brand/name tarnishing thru post like this. Educating those interested in the product. Hit up the forums that deal with multi rotors and UAV's. The Pletty is advertised as an industrial grade motor, another avenue.

There's also the signature at the bottom of every ones post....maybe change that to reflect being a, Victim of Advertisement Fraud from Pletty and Dirk. I paid $1675.44 USD for the Pletty's based on what was advertised and was delivered something different.

I wonder what legal advise would be given concerning this Fraud....

DKTek

Google translation...

Official Statement for multicopter problem

Since we focus in our daily operations on direct customer service, it is us, unfortunately,
not possible to personally observe the countless forums of various applications
and is to be present.

After we were asked by customers to problems encountered, we have a very
time-consuming tests tried recreate the application in use. Since our respective
Controls were not available or are available, and can we have the conditional
occurring disorders reproduce only partially. Our recommendations for
Elimination of interference are therefore based on empirical data or test results to us
Available controls, as well as general physical rules.

The forum and the comments of some stakeholders, the motors are primarily for disorders
held responsible. We point out that we practice a 100% output control and
therefore a proper function every motor is guaranteed. We defend ourselves against the
Allegations that the engines are responsible for crashes and malfunctions of the aircraft.

In a highly complex aircraft such as a multicopter However, a variety of
Sources, an appropriate fault cause.

This can for example His fault in the power supply design, the error in the control electronics
, as well as cause errors in the control electronics, faulty cells or possibly bad
Solder joints.

It is absent in all cases to prove that all of the above Sources of error are excluded.

We have in our tests all possible engine examines related causes and
excluded.

We have at no time an application of the Orbit 15-20 with 5S and an APC 15x4 "
recommended and taken at any time, the statement that the engines in the MK-BL 2.0 with 5s of
We were tested.

In our publications, we recommend a maximum of a propeller operating with 5S
of 13x4 ". In this configuration, with 6 engines, a thrust reached 18 kg. This thrust is sufficient
problems for use in 9kg multicopter if all components are configured according to
are. This has also been a few weeks ago confirmed demand of us, and after becoming aware
the problems communicated accordingly. We have informed inquiring customers extensively,
what to use with a 15x4 "prop happened and much of the use
This propeller discouraged. Unfortunately, this recommendation has been and is repeatedly and continuously
ignored and continues to try to fly with the multicopter larger propellers. This
Application must inevitably lead to problems.

We also combine our recommendations here together again and make some errors in
Associated with the drives clear:

The set of orbit 15-20, 5s Lipo and an APC-E 15x4 "is not overloaded and the vollastfähig
Or motor controller! With a 13x4 "and 5s Lipos are already under full throttle at 40A, with the 15x4"
There are 60A.
The engine is so heavily congested and the torque of the motor threshold is exceeded. This
causing a squeaking noise. This can be avoided only where it has a smaller
Propeller used, thus reducing power, or use a more powerful engine torque,
when the propeller and cell number will remain unchanged. We have never Orbit 15-20 with
This configuration is recommended! For unauthorized users or distributors of recommendations
We are not responsible for and can therefore not responsible for any damage done
be.
In this context, we explicitly point out that neither Mr. Dirk Kadler
Employees of Plettenberg, is still in any way connected contractually.
Mr. Kadler act at your own risk and we distance ourselves from his
Actions.

For a propeller 15x4 "5S and we recommend a 20-16 or 20-18 orbit, with the current
even at the larger motor is constant and the control may be adjusted accordingly
needs. Once again, the overall system are considered. If used for 8 motors and
a current of 60A per peak currents caused by a total of 480A that is about 8.5 KW
Geamtleistung that keep the whole system smoothly in all components and process
needs.

Meanwhile it was confirmed that some of the controls used with the best of our
described current peaks are overtaxed and therefore similar problems have occurred.

Now a few general physically-based information to targeted events:

An on-or decongestant speed is due to a limitation in the controller
(Current limit or speed limit) and has nothing to do with the motor being used.

The max. Torque limit of a motor winding PLC (the usual way for foreign runners
is used) can not be moved by changing the number of poles. The shape of the
Circuit (triangular or whether star connection) has no effect on the torque limit of
Motor. The maximum phase current limit can only be constructive measures such as changes
in the sheet metal section or change are shifted in the magnet geometry. This change, however, nothing
because the current consumption of the motor at the same speed and prop 15x4 "is above 60A.

The statement that the engine with a prop 15x4 "so only in the partial load of
max. 40A is operated, the rapid acceleration from hovering obsolete since then
the peak current of about 60A occur, leading to the mentioned problems.

Here, too, that this only by reducing the Propdurchmessers or the slope,
Increasing the acceleration time or reduce, alter the specific speed of the motor
can.

To the timing of the motors is to say that it is between 6-12 ° by the phase-0-passage
(In the language corresponds to a timing of 18 - 24 °). For a control manufacturer
Programmed timing of 30 ° makes it easier, but technically the engine does not make sense.

Should be as high switching frequency for windy outdoor runners, even the usually used in Multikoptern
come, a frequency between 8-10kHz are used so that a clean commutation in the
Part-load range is possible. Again, it is entirely irrelevant whether the engine 10 or 14 pins in
Star or delta connected.

This information on timing and switching frequency are the basis of the motor theory, each
Development of controllers for BLDC motors should be known. We are not sure
responsible if controls are not necessary suitable for the motors and thereby
Malfunction occurs.

The orbital motors are very powerful engines with appropriate demand much power
. implement Conversely this also means that all other components of the power
must be adjusted accordingly.

In forums, another engine is called, has a similar speed per volt, such as the Orbit 15-20,
is reported to work at 5 p. This engine has a much higher internal resistance (factor 2.5)
and breaks in the speed a lot more. This brings the engine and 30% less thrust than
Orbit 15-20. The comparison to the engine would be a designated orbit 15-24, of 1/min with 630 per
At the same operating voltage brings the same thrust as the designated engine, but with this
less power consumption and higher efficiency.

We are under attack in forums that our orbit optimized engines offered as multicopter
be, but it had not. The adjustment to multicopter lies in the following points:

- The wave is guided back from the engine, whereby a mounting on top of the boom
possible
- The shaft is reduced, causing the propeller closer to the engine sits
- The winding has been adjusted for lower speeds
- Is the optional air intake screws directly integrated in the bearing plate

We have in our publications indicate that, in cooperation with the manufacturers of the
Aircraft engines of individual adaptations to specific developments are possible.
We are always ready and capable of universal motors with respect to the number of turns and therefore the
Adjust speed of the motor. The accusation is made in this regard in our forums, is
thus completely unfounded. To our corporate philosophy is, especially in difficult projects, the
To offer customers the best possible, and extensive support. This includes of course
if a motor with propeller, and control cell number on the described project to be interpreted
and to recommend. The orbit motors can be built with a variety of turns. Not
all turns are in common use and are therefore not in the lists.
The published orbit motors are those that are in common use applications. The
Data of the Orbit 15-20, which is indeed built for years, were our customers demand
provided and selected by him as the right motor for its application.
It was then tested by our customers just this engine and is recommended for multicopter,
ordered and sold. Following positive feedback from some operators and other inquiries
We have included it as a drive in our standard program. For our part, the
Using a propeller 13x4 "tested and recommended.

We repeat that we shall not be an application of the Orbit 15-20 with 5S and
APC 15x4 recommended "and have at no time have made the statement that the engines
the MK-BL 2.0 with 5s were tested by us.

In forums is required of us a offer for multicopter optimized engine. Due to the
Variety of aircraft, it is not possible to offer custom engine for the A multicopter,
The same works for all aircraft. Since it is impossible for us to consider, and thus
ensure that the engines properly with all commercially available components
that work is the responsibility of each supplier and distributor of ready-made aircraft or vehicles must
Coordinate unit and its components for full functionality and optimize
to ensure safe operation. We offer this engine in our support.
Unfortunately, this was accepted by only a few distributors and manufacturers. In these cases
We have worked with very high personnel costs and possible solutions offered.

Therefore we are of course ready to continue and provide developers of components such as
Controllers and aircraft like an appropriate cooperation. Unfortunately, so far
aim of any control developer a cooperative approach. Thus, it criticizes in advance
some problems can be avoided, because the controller manufacturers are required here as well.
We are ready to test setups with these controls, if we receive them in
serviceable condition will be provided. For setups that we tested, we then assume
also an appropriate performance guarantee.

We hope that these comments, the resulting uncertainty regarding our company and
15-20 clarifies the orbit. If any questions or ambiguities exist, we ask that the
put directly in touch with us and not polemical half-truths in various forums to
. publish

In addition, we reserve the right to take legal action against defamatory statements and
Initiate defamation or damage claims to be asserted. This is explicitly
not a threat, but only for use to protect our interests and rights.

Yours sincerely,
Uwe Plettenberg
Plettenberg motors

Munch, thanks....

JLO

So there you have it folks specially the las part:

In addition, we reserve the right to take legal action against defamatory statements and
Initiate defamation or damage claims to be asserted. This is explicitly
not a threat, but only for use to protect our interests and rights.

I wonder who protects our interest and rights??

and as far as the "dealer" no word at all perhaps he is happily flying somewhere......

DKTek

Dirk's claim isn't the only reason I ordered the Pletty 15-20's for use with 14-15inch props on my SkyJib 8 with AEROdrive 8.....

View attachment 4321
View attachment 4322

Even the AXI4120/14 specs don't recommend 14 or 15 inch props. What gives with these people?

Attachments

• BadInfo.jpg
    BadInfo.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 198
  • BadInfo2.jpg
    BadInfo2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 324

Munch

Well, the AXI 4120 are doing well with 15", but they are quite heavy and you will have to go with more batteries in parallel which again add more weight.

I think that in these heavy weight class, you have to calculate some spare money for trying around. I hate being the beta tester, but more and more things have to be reworked to get the best results. Gimbals (potentiometers, servos, ...), camera stabilizations come with buggy firmware, etc.

Well, the Plettenberg case is something special.