Pilot reports mystery black ‘drone’ at JFK

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Just great! We need to eradicate these people immediately. Never seizes to amaze me how stupid people can be.

ChrisViperM

If it is true, they should lock that irresponsible idiot away for a long time.......

But there are a few things that are a little suspicious: The landing speed of a big airplane is about 160mph / 260 kmh.....compared to that the speed of a Multirotor is next to nothing, so it's basically statical. Even if the MR is "only" 200 feet / 60 m, it's already pretty small. How the hell can the pilot tell the diameter, the colour and how many rotors it has while he has to concentrate on the landing and can only possibly see the "drone" for the blink of an eye ? Apart from the fact that the MR would just disintegrate when it gets passed by a big plane at 160 mph at a distance of 200 feet.

Wouldn't be the first time that funny stories show up to shape public opinions and make new laws more acceptable to the public.......

I am just saying: If.......

Chris

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Chris,

Your peripheral vision is much more sensitive than your straight ahead vision. We see balloons go by when we're approaching landing and we can tell if it's one or a few or a bunch. If a multi-rotor was close enough it wouldn't be too hard to tell what it looked like and if the person picked it out of the ground clutter and was able to focus on it for even a second or two it would be enough to know for sure what you've seen. Landing speeds for large commercial aircraft range from about 130 kts (150 mph) to 160 kts (185 mph) so you were pretty much on the mark with that detail.

deathroFPV

Not good. We have to respect the airspace try not draw anymore bad publicity to our Hobby. I fear we will be band just from peoples ignorance on both ends....

JLO

[FONT=Tahoma, Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The pilot stated he was at 1800 feet when he saw the Drone thats pretty high up, I presume a MR can go that high, in any case he should not, under any circumstance, not at any altitude be flaying at all near the airport.
[/FONT]

Efliernz

Pete
If an idiot chose to fpv... yes 1800' is not a difficult. Laws will not stop it either - just like making 200Km/hr cars that are only allowed up to 100Km.
I have flown 1Km away @ 100' (within our model field farm - with an observer). 1Km is far more than 1800'... just horizontal.

This event is going to get very messy. I don't have much faith in the law system but I really hope they get this guy and roast him publicly.

Pete

3dheliguy

Wow, that is wild I can't believe that thing could move that fast. This is almost seems like some kind of sick joke, in all my years piloting single rotors I have never been able to brake 120 in a 700 class heli although I believe that the speed record is around 200.

That just seems way out there you would need almost defense funding for such an aircraft. Something about this just stinks...

DennyR

Wow, that is wild I can't believe that thing could move that fast. This is almost seems like some kind of sick joke, in all my years piloting single rotors I have never been able to brake 120 in a 700 class heli although I believe that the speed record is around 200.

That just seems way out there you would need almost defense funding for such an aircraft. Something about this just stinks...

I think Henseliet has gone 265 kph with a SR heli. but the most dangerous aspect of FPV is the high number of flights that have covered more than 40Km and have climbed to 5,500 plus meters. From that height they can almost glide home. So the height, goes with the distance, if you are trying to set records. This is worrying in any country. The risks are high for the record setters so the cheap models are just considered disposable items. Nobody is going to put their hand up and say sorry it was one of mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

I've seen RC flying fields in close proximity to airports. They were in contact with ATC towers though.

Bird often mistake my drone for another bird and chase me off. I wonder if the pilot/s mistook a bird for a drone. Lol

kloner

Aerial DP
San Diego silent flyers is an ama rc field next door to Sea World San Diego. It is 3 miles from Lindburg field and theres no radio contact with anything, you just don't loiter above 400' and if an aircraft comes by, your suppose to sense and avoid.

This club is ran by the owner of Innov8tive designs aka scorpion usa.................

this is a rogue fpv guy thinking he's having fun...... kinda like the 83 drunk drivers in america last night that killed somebody during there crimes....... if the FBI is airing on my tv 3000 miles away that they want to talk to the pilot, my moneys on they will.

what do you want to bet video of the flight will be posted somewhere sooner or later

jhardway

I will say, this is going to happen, the more people get involved the more someone is not going take common sense. I wish the FAA could figure something out, just so the guys out here who want to do this for work, and do it right, can. It will not keep the yahoos away and you will have people taking cheap aircraft, over weighing them and putting them up in places like Georgetown (DC). Only to lose them and put up lost signs on pole with pictures. oh ya that did happen.

With the 1800 ft height if for some reason the copter was on self flight and going to a waypoint, that's another way it could get up there, however for curiosity reasons, I am wondering the battery complicity and flight time it would take to pull that off.

AustinFPV

FPV Recon
Gotta call BS. Two commercial airline pilots spotting a black quad at 1500' while on final is about as likely as a 757 fitting into a 14' diameter hole. At least we know this agenda is hard-coded now too.

Stacky

Do a search of how many moronic rc flights there are on youtube and you wont be calling BS. There is one out there of footage from one guys quad of a large passenger jet coming in to land, he is very close to its flight path. Just 2 days ago one guy in Hong Kong has posted a very cool video of his Hexa flying high above Hong Kong at night. Anyone who has been to Hong Kong will know how utterly idiotic that is.

Gotta call BS. Two commercial airline pilots spotting a black quad at 1500' while on final is about as likely as a 757 fitting into a 14' diameter hole. At least we know this agenda is hard-coded now too.

AustinFPV

FPV Recon
My point wasn't that it was unlikely someone was stupid enough to do this but that it was unlikely 2 pilots would have been looking in exactly the right direction at exactly the right fraction of a second to both see it, and then for it to be immediately blasted all over the pop news. The point you make only supports the fact that those no longer capable of critical independent thought will eagerly gobble it up with the rest of the garbage out there. Lets all watch for that exact supporting evidence to start trickling out now...