Pilot reports mystery black ‘drone’ at JFK

STI-REX

Gettin Old
Totally agree this is just idiotic on behalf of the operator

Now surely this multi rotor would do no more damage than a large seabird or an eagle if it hit a plane ( I know any damage is not tolerable but the world isn't perfect )

If a plane of commercial size could be so badly affected from hitting a multirotor (maybe 7-8 kgs') then surely the commercial airliner must be a bigger risk to the general public

My discovery all up flying weight 1.7 kg's has been attacked by largish birds more than 1/2 the weight of the quad and it stayed in the air same can't be said for the birds though

Yes find the person responsible and hear their story and if needed shoot them

Maybe he had a control lockout and the quad flew away out of control i have seen a naza video where the quad flew clean across a U.S.A. city before coming to it's senses and returning to home the video was 15 or so minutes long

Maybe it was Russel Crowes " U.F.O" that he posted about on twitter:cool:

3dheliguy

I feel like most of you guys are seeing what I'm seeing in that this just seems a little to unreal for the norm, and we all know how people are but crusing on final approach 160-200 mph and seeing a quad the size of a football cruiing past you yeah I having a hard time swallowing that. I love how it's all over the news, that's classic.

The whole FpV thing needs to be heavily regulated by the FAA and anybody caught using it without the proper certification needs to be fined heavily. There going to make an example out of somebody and if that guy is for real with his black quad well they got somewhere to start.

Most people on here enjoy the hobby and some take it a bit further, but that's fine. The problem comes when people no nothing about the hobby but can buy a DJI Phantom for 700 bucks because its the cool thing to do... RTF needs to stop, this will cause more trouble than it's worth and I think we all know it... Pretty soon they will be selling these things at Toys R Us.

Anyways im sure the FBI is reading this thread so go get them guys.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Wow, that is wild I can't believe that thing could move that fast. This is almost seems like some kind of sick joke, in all my years piloting single rotors I have never been able to brake 120 in a 700 class heli although I believe that the speed record is around 200.

That just seems way out there you would need almost defense funding for such an aircraft. Something about this just stinks...

km/h, or mph? I've had my 450 heli at 107km/h airspeed. 700 should easily break 120 km/h.

Totally agree this is just idiotic on behalf of the operator

Now surely this multi rotor would do no more damage than a large seabird or an eagle if it hit a plane ( I know any damage is not tolerable but the world isn't perfect )

You have answered your own question. You're right....it would do roughly the same amount of damage (perhaps slightly more...birds are softer than MRs) than a large bird. BUT....a large bird can do A LOT of damage if it hits in just the right spot. A simple collision would be relatively harmless (relatively....not totally). However, should that same MR/large bird just happen to get ingested by an engine, especially at slower speeds at lower altitudes (such as during landing) then it's a whole new ballgame. It is amazing how little it takes to ingest for a turbine to throw one or several compressor blades. Then the real fun begins, it's row of dominos at that point. The number of planes that have crashed due to birdstrikes is huge.

OR...if that same MR/large bird should happen to strike just the right spot, say in a windscreen. Just one of a number of examples I have personally seen: Roughly 20 years ago, I had a LearFan declare an emergency on probably the crappiest day in six months. A seagull had struck the windscreen at just wrong angle. It came through the glass and the glass shards severely cut the face and neck of the left seat pilot. So badly, in fact, that he nearly bled to death before the right seat could execute an approach and the C/FR people could get to him. That was a LearFan at a lesser speed than a 737 typically would fly the same course.

I have recently posted elsewhere around here on the cost to us all of stupid people doing stupid things with MRs. This is a prime example. Every time someone posts a YouTube video of himself plucking his MR out of the air, or driving a hex into a crowd of people in a stadium, or flying directly over large crowds, or loitering just off the final of a large airport whilst filming learjets and 737s whistling by, it drives another nail in our coffin. Regardless of whether this particular incident was real or imagined...if someone didn't do this, there is someone else out there who has been thinking about doing it.

Right now people hear the word 'Drone' or 'UAV' and they go into fits of irrational fear and paranoia over safety and privacy and every other boogy man they can dream up. Whether its a YouTube video or choosing a safe and responsible place to fly or something else, a little self-control will go a LONG way in terms of PR and pacifying the knee-jerk reactionaries. Anything that can help to put a good spin on what we do would be a godsend at this point.

Myself, having personal knowledge of how the FAA thinks and operates, I suspect that our days are numbered anyway. At least those days until we fall under yoke of FAA oppression...er, I meant protection and rigorous regulation. Going out of our way to allay those fears will significantly delay this eventuality. And we REALLY want to delay that just as long as we possibly can. Trust me, I know.....The FAA isn't happy until YOU'RE not happy.

Keep the YouTube videos light and boring....don't show the world how stupid some of us can be. We'll all benefit from it. If you have crazy vids you think you just HAVE to share.....do it by email (put me on your list, I like them too! ;) ).

....sT

Last edited by a moderator:

jhardway

Hey guys,

just from personal experiences in both helicopters and airplanes. I have been up at 1500ft doing 145kts and have easily seen birds, such as Bald Eagles. Just looking around, or better yet never mind the height, if the object such as an eagle, hawk, or seagull; are at equal height as you or just above the horizon you will be surprised how easy it is to see something of the sort, and also for the duration that you may see it. They usually do not become a factor but they are up there.

On top of that I have a friend who is a copter pilot where I live, and twice in the past 6 months he's been over something at or around 400ft only to look out the window to see one of these things very close to him. For a real helicopter at a slower speed the idea of one of these things doing damage is very small. However up at speeds of 120kts if one of these object cross the path it could do significant damage, especially if a brushless motor ends up in a turbine intake, or if it hits a windshield.

So for me I can believe the report.

Fly safe and do with common sense.

Dewster

Not to beat a dead horse... Someone mentioned government conspiracy... I mentioned this news story to a coworker and he said something surprisingly similar. He mentioned that it was probably an intentional stunt to bring negative attention to "drones".

Stacky

"Drones" are usually associated with war and more specifically the US govt. Why would the US govt want to fabricate a negative story about "drones"?

Not to beat a dead horse... Someone mentioned government conspiracy... I mentioned this news story to a coworker and he said something surprisingly similar. He mentioned that it was probably an intentional stunt to bring negative attention to "drones".

AustinFPV

FPV Recon
I'm sure the pilots were compensated well to report the false incident after a little meeting with videos explaining the risks to them, and how the resultant media event would help to create the support needed to pass legislation that would make everyone (and especially the pilots themselves) so much safer. JFK was chosen because of the surrounding area's population density and the liberal bias in the NE population that tends to more eagerly support legislation that restricts freedom and creates a false sense of security. The NSA computers are hoovering in the chatter on this right now in order to establish the baseline of current public opinion based on geography, and the next steps will be well-planned and effectively executed without much delay. This hobby is exploding and it will need to be squelched in short order as the ability to to fly a remote craft with live video absolutely needs to be restricted from the general population. The tech poses too much risk to the agenda of control that is currently unfolding. Look for the next event within two months and for it to include injuries.

Stacky

I'm sure the pilots were compensated well to report the false incident after a little meeting with videos explaining the risks to them, and how the resultant media event would help to create the support needed to pass legislation that would make everyone (and especially the pilots themselves) so much safer. JFK was chosen because of the surrounding area's population density and the liberal bias in the NE population that tends to more eagerly support legislation that restricts freedom and creates a false sense of security. The NSA computers are hoovering in the chatter on this right now in order to establish the baseline of current public opinion based on geography, and the next steps will be well-planned and effectively executed without much delay. This hobby is exploding and it will need to be squelched in short order as the ability to to fly a remote craft with live video absolutely needs to be restricted from the general population. The tech poses too much risk to the agenda of control that is currently unfolding. Look for the next event within two months and for it to include injuries.

hahahahahaha

ATFlyer

Hey guys,

For a real helicopter at a slower speed the idea of one of these things doing damage is very small. However up at speeds of 120kts if one of these object cross the path it could do significant damage, especially if a brushless motor ends up in a turbine intake, or if it hits a windshield.

So for me I can believe the report.

Fly safe and do with common sense.

If something hits a tail rotor whatever airspeed the real helicopter has it will almost certainly do damage that will at best cause an immediate forced landing. Loss of tail rotor effectiveness is a contributing factor in a large number of helicopter crashes.
Damage caused from something going through the mains will spoil a pilots day too.

There is no excuse and no mitigating factors for an airprox between an unmanned aircraft of any size and a real aircraft.

AustinFPV

FPV Recon
hahahahahaha
I occasionally find opposing opinions equally amusing as every word and image of Newspeak is absorbed, disseminated, and debated as absolute truth. A mind functions best when it remains open to all possibilities, and I prefer to present ideas as distant as possible from the established baselines for the express purpose of keeping everyone open to every possiblity.

RobertsUp

Weeks later and there have been no updates in the press.

I assume no one at the FAA ever found the person flying the quad.

The flyer got away with doing what he did.

What if Costco begins selling the Phantom? Offering them for sale to anybody. There will be a lot of eyes put out and faces scarred. The RTF's aren't toys. I bet Costco will sell something similar to the Phantom. It'll happen. Let's see what happens. One of the worst products ever sold was Lawn Darts.

Dji China would be delighted, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

STI-REX

Gettin Old
NO NO NO it was just a weather balloon just like in Roswell nothing to see here just a weather balloon move along :highly_amused: Ha Ha

Dewster

Weeks later and there have been no updates in the press.

I assume no one at the FAA ever found the person flying the quad.

The flyer got away with doing what he did.

What if Costco begins selling the Phantom? Offering them for sale to anybody. There will be a lot of eyes put out and faces scarred. The RTF's aren't toys. I bet Costco will sell something similar to the Phantom. It'll happen. Let's see what happens. One of the worst products ever sold was Lawn Darts.

Dji China would be delighted, imo.

Lmao.

Explorocam

Airborne Media Pros
Remember the good old days (like 2 years ago)
when we would fly fly around a buddies cottage or some vacant sand dunes or through the forest. I remember building my quad and using the Open Pilot Copter control board and learning all the settings and what it all ment. Now any F~<king idiot can just buy a pre-built F550 and send it up in the air spoiling for everyone else.