Picloc 3x setting experience etc.

smaris

Hi there.
I want to thanks from this thread George Mamos because 5 days ago he tune my picloc 3x on my camera mount and believe me works perfect.
Thanks George and continue help us with your way on skyp .
Smaris

Hi all,

Have any body here successful install picloc 3x with Cinestar gimbal and what is your setting value ?

I have installed the picloc and setting some gain, footage quality is improve however it is not as good as video posted here :)

Have anybody has any tip to fine tune the picloc performance :)

Piranha

5 days- strange silence here :( Is it silence before storm? George, any news about new products and the new batch of Picloc 3x?

Just to be part of the team, I have received the small black box.
My understanding of the content of the delivery "it's pure quality", no need for additional box, papers, cables or the likes :)

Anybody around here, who has it installed on a MP360 from PhotoShipOne, would love to receive some information (or experience)

Regards,
Ruud

snurre

3X Pro Bug reports

Hi George,

I have updated to the latest FW (2012_04_29_P3X_v56_76_PRO_X1) and Toolz software, and I made the Factory reset.
The Picloc 3X Pro is mounted on a PS1 VR360 3X on tilt axis (under slung on Maxi Joker 2).
Although I know you have worked hard and released numerous FW version to resolve issues, I do notice problems remaining;

About orientation:
In previous mails and skype conversation I pointed out that when attempting to use the 3X on axis, arrow towards tilt, the tilt slew command generates servo movement on wrong axis, the roll axis (servo ch 2 in my setup). Though tilt stabilization response generates output to tilt servo, correctly. Thus “arrow towards tilt” orientation, on axis, is still useless (and the one most desirable in my configuration, of course :rolleyes:).
My workaround is mounting the picloc unit arrow towards roll – but in my configuration that mounting is a bit awkward, non optimal.

Nadir bezerk
The tilt still goes haywire (crunching gears) when picloc approaches nadir, pointing straight down (a truly necessary position!)
My workaround is mounting the picloc with a 20 degree upward offset on the camera tray. It works, but I think you agree it´s a dirty fix.

Magnetometer causes drift
I have tried the magnetometer feature. Calibrated as instructed.
But in action, it causes drift instead of cancelling drift.
It might be due to the proximity to the tilt servo who´s magnetic field is probably strong enough to disturb the picloc.
I repeat my idea to offer an external magnetometer option unit that can be attached on the most suitable spot (away from hardware mag fields) on the camera pan gimbal. Might connect to one of the two extra ports?

Home position function
I have programmed roll and tilt home positions. On the roll with a couple degrees offset, on the tilt with about 20 degrees offset (compensating for the offset mounting, see above). Upon picloc startup it positions to those memorized positions. But when commanding home positions AUX1 GOTO HOME, picloc always repositions to zero degrees, not to the memorized position! This must be wrong.

Brutal step outputs
Upon system start, and when recovering from e-stop, the picloc commands brutal step movement, especially noticeable on the tilt. This is of course not good for mechanics in general, and servos in particular. A softer response would be desirable, much like when activating the memorized home position.

About accelerometer authority
I suggest providing separate selections for roll and tilt axis. I would like to experiment with different amounts, e.g. more accelerometer authority on the tilt, but not so much on the roll.

Best / Tomas

tammo

Is it ready for professionel production now?

Hi!

I am using a second Mikrokopter FC 2.1 for stabilisation in a 360 cinestar gimbal.
I have my picloc for some time now,
but i didn't use it because i read about a lot of bugs in this forum.

My question is if this has been fixed
and if the picloc pro is ready for commercial production work now?

kind regards,
tammo

Lanzar

Hi!

I am using a second Mikrokopter FC 2.1 for stabilisation in a 360 cinestar gimbal.
I have my picloc for some time now,
but i didn't use it because i read about a lot of bugs in this forum.

My question is if this has been fixed
and if the picloc pro is ready for commercial production work now?

kind regards,
tammo

Picloc has always been ready it is just that with each firmware u get some old buges fixes and new ones come up. And affcourse we users while trying to get it working got to know all about the gyro, servo, ... stuff along the way so we started to get smart and then @george had to do all those changes.
Basicaly we never use the pan option and we make the pan as u have it on MK stabilitzation (Direct to reciver). While nick and roll are always good. Well it depends on servo but now we managed to get it to work with normal av200 and Cs gimbal with default servo and potis also. But u need time to set it up and certain steps need to be done before u make it work. Othervise it works good but MK with new 88 software is also good. MK is just a pain in the a.. to start it since the calibration and u can kill the servo if u are not carefull and make some switch for powering it ... Whole new problem.

EricH

What goes up...
Hi All,

It seems this thread has slowed down. Have all issues been sorted out...?
Anyway, I have a question for those who have been successful w/ PL, regarding servo choice and gearing ratio.
Tried 4/1 so far but planning to go 5/1 to increase resolution and torque.
Regarding servo, tried Hitec 5985, found them too slow and not enough resolution. Changed to MPX Titan digi5 high speed, much better resolution, but although they are very fast, they have a weird feature: as they approach their commanded position, they slow down. this makes stabilisation a bit sluggish.
So what are you using???

Thanks,

Eric

Lanzar

Hi All,

It seems this thread has slowed down. Have all issues been sorted out...?
Anyway, I have a question for those who have been successful w/ PL, regarding servo choice and gearing ratio.
Tried 4/1 so far but planning to go 5/1 to increase resolution and torque.
Regarding servo, tried Hitec 5985, found them too slow and not enough resolution. Changed to MPX Titan digi5 high speed, much better resolution, but although they are very fast, they have a weird feature: as they approach their commanded position, they slow down. this makes stabilisation a bit sluggish.
So what are you using???

Thanks,

Eric

Eric they slow down cause u use slew mode on picloc. Read on it or turn it off and u will have normal servo control with instant stop.

Pablo74

hi to everyone you know what is the difference between these files?
2012_04_26_P3X_v56_75_PRO_X1.hex
2012_04_26_P3X_v56_75_PRO_X3.hex
2012_04_26_P3X_v56_75_PRO_X3_MORE _P_GAIN.hex
which should be used?
thanks

rene.m

With off-axis mounting, such as the Tilt and Roll on an AV200, the only travel limits as far as PL is concerned are those imposed by the external pots i.e. maybe 110°. As Picloc remains stationary it suffers no ill effects.

However, when it is ON-axis, as you wish to do, i.e. on the camera plate, the PL is limited to around 55° of tilt before the Roll axis starts becoming a second Pan axis. At this point PL gets confused, doesn't know what to do and ... "goes crazy".

I have addressed this on the big gasser heli by mounting the PL on a swivelling bracket that allows it to be set at up to -35°. As we do not need very much upward tilt (blades, booms, motors etc. are NOT photogenic) the PL will not be subjected to very much more negative tilt than that. Perhaps another 10° at most. So at -45° of total tilt the PL is still comfortable and keeps its hair on.

042.3X-2.jpg

The big advantage is that the forward tilt now has a bonus of up to 35° of extra camera angle. So if your camera is angled at 90° down (vertical) PL is still only at 55°. However, as I do not personally like the Google Earth vertical view much I have left the PL set at -20° with forward tilt at 55°, giving around 75° of camera forward tilt. It is early days yet because I have only just started flight testing the 3X so these angles are subject to change.

However, as always there is a payoff. If the PL is not mounted level, Roll commands will result in some sympathetic panning. This is not altogether as ugly as it sounds as in practice the subject is actually kept more centre frame during the Roll.

I have a question to your solution:
when you going to set up your tilt-gain-level: how much do you need to go? i tried it and needed to set it up to around 1000 P. Almost no Acc.
without a camera, it works fine. but with a camera mounted, the tilt starts shaking up and down.
when i reduce the p-value, it stops shaking, but the angel isn't anymore correct. wit a value around 300 i have no more shaking, but also no more stabilization. the tilt-stabilization is working to little.

how did you solved it?
thank you.