Panasonic's next GH mirrorless camera will record 4K video late February unde...

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm praying there is some truth to the 240/480 modes! That would be an awesome all around camera if it took great stills, great video AND slow motion! c'mon panny.

View attachment 15567

Attachments

• FLY A 5D.jpg
    FLY A 5D.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 269
Last edited by a moderator:

Quinton

Not a chance in the world it'll do 240/480 fps at that price point.
Im more excited about the lens that came out for them, the Leica DG Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2
Really great fast portrait lens with IS that is actually pretty light, I have an 85mm 1.2 Canon lens and I have never seen a better lens than that but its like carrying around a grapefruit.
The Leica is only 425 grams.

Quinton

If you look at some pre reviews of the sensor specs it says it does just that! Look for yourself.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11502/...nce-4k-video-capable-micro-four-thirds-sensor

Hope I am totally wrong, and they are doing something completely different, but at the moment we don't really have the technology in camera to deal with such rates.
You may get 240/480 fps below HD for a few seconds if that is the case, also you need a LOT of light at these frame rates which Panasonic cameras are not the best at.
Not even sure Panasonic have a GH4 at this time, the pictures are all a GH3 with a big sticker on it, and they may be working frantically now to try and come up with something as everyone else has.

In that preview he says.. "I’d say the 1080p era has about 6 months left in it."

Now that is a completely stupid thing to say, we just aren't ready for 4K at all at the moment, it just costs too much for hardware.
4K will be great for editing better footage into 1080p
Who knows though maybe they will come out with something magical, maybe have h.265 codec or googles VP9, but at this moment, if you want to do something useful with 4K or high frame rates then we will need new memory cards as they aren't fast enough yet.

Hope I am completely wrong though, but I think the GH4 will be aimed at using add ons for video, having XLR and SDI inputs outside the camera.
Just hope they wont release it as a 4k camera which will work with a "future" firmware that will require an external hard drive from Panasonic at a very high cost.

Been waiting for this technology to trickle down from the Epic's. Granted this will be an entirely different codec and sensor but nonetheless.....MUCH lighter/less expensive option for getting 4K aerial motion than lifting an Epic with an Octo. Here we go.....time for the 4K wars to start between Canon, Panny, Nikon etc. Get your wallets ready.

kloner

Aerial DP
they say end of february. I've been hearing rumors about this since right after ces last year

whenever it is, the mob will be lifting them as fast as we can get one in our hands. I bet Rowland has one now but can't talk about it

Regardless of a comparative list of features between several options, i.e., Hero3 Black, new Panasonic GH3 mentioned above and the Black Magic Pocket Camera, etc., the true differences can only be compared by watching recorded videos.
And the problem with most PCs as well as the Internet is that videos viewed thru most PCs from YouTube and even Vimeo is that the best quality video quality is always compromised.

Seems one has to take a step of faith or work hands on with all of the above to really determine the optimum fit-for-purpose solution for MR AV work.

Burntpixel

Been following the development of this for some time. Thing is we shoot with an Epic now @ 5K and dumb the image down during the export process. Very rarely and I mean VERY rarely does that imagery ever get shown in its native format. The broadcaster currently dictates what can and cannot be sent to the end user. 1080p or 720p will be with us as the broadcast standard for far longer than what the manufacturer,s would like it to be.

Heck! As it stands now,I can't even get my clients to accept a Blu Ray disc. My stuff after editing is shared via a hard drive! Now don't get me wrong here,I love me some mega lines of resolutions,but the masses just ain't ready to pony up the money to see that content.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I totally agree. In your experience do you feel you can get a sharper image by down resing the video? I don't understand what's really going on but from another post on here it seems that starting with more and reducing it still gives a crisper more detailed image.

Burntpixel

I totally agree. In your experience do you feel you can get a sharper image by down resing the video? I don't understand what's really going on but from another post on here it seems that starting with more and reducing it still gives a crisper more detailed image.
I feel its more along the lines of better contrast and color saturation, that and details in the darker areas seem crisper. I just read this and it makes a lot of sense.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/10/5291068/how-netflix-won-ces-4k-streaming

Tahoe Ed

That was a great piece. My son does not have TV he only watches content on NetFlix. His generation will drive the demand for this content.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I was really surprised to see you tube has a 4k option already. My Mac Pro could not play it smoothly though which was a first.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Been following the development of this for some time. Thing is we shoot with an Epic now @ 5K and dumb the image down during the export process. Very rarely and I mean VERY rarely does that imagery ever get shown in its native format. The broadcaster currently dictates what can and cannot be sent to the end user. 1080p or 720p will be with us as the broadcast standard for far longer than what the manufacturer,s would like it to be.

Heck! As it stands now,I can't even get my clients to accept a Blu Ray disc. My stuff after editing is shared via a hard drive! Now don't get me wrong here,I love me some mega lines of resolutions,but the masses just ain't ready to pony up the money to see that content.

I agree that 720 and 1080p will be here for a LONG time. Until prices match probably for the 4k and 2k tv's. There is just too little difference for people to be willing to spend more money. We are seeing more detail at a distance on our tv set's than we do in real life. A good case in point is although I always like more resolution, we've had 4k digital video projection at the place we go to the movies and while most of the movies were shot at 2k, I seldom noticed the difference. A good story, good acting, and properly exposed and lit scenes were far more obvious than the 2k vs 4k resolution issue.

I have lots of storage and capacity on my server and network, but I just don't feel like messing with all that data. I'm more interested in seeing the camera's get more dynamic range than resolution and maybe more frames per second.

The one time I'd like 4k footage is for cropping and stabilization then outputting to 2k. On the GH4, I have read some of the reviews that believe the increased resolution seems to help a bit in the dynamic range. It would be great if some of the 200mbs compressed 4k footage would be of a quality that was acceptable for high end work. Then the cropped / stabilized 2k finished video might be worth the extra data.