tell me what i want

My dog is terrified of anything "RC". Mutual avoidance is a good thing. Jay

my dog goes into kill mode the second my tx beeps. her brain shuts off and all shes wants to do is kill the flying thing, its a real problem in the house or if i fly to low/crash in the yard. she will stop or drop it if i crash and then yell at her but nothing stops her while its in flight, its actually pretty entertaining. untill she gets it. pretty sure thats how both my X1s were damaged

sweet jesus. i got my HK blue series ESCs and they dont come with bullet connectors on them!! my two local hobby shops dont stock more then 2-3 packages of a set of two and i need like over a dozen

is there any local stores that might sell these - are they used in other things besides hobby RC ?

minneapolis, found a place that has them for $1/set lol i need like 23 sets. HK blue ESCs = no longer a good deal

one thing i cant is a good solid wiring diagram like the connections from the reciever to the KK board and im sure i can figure it out but i dont have a battery voltage 2pin connector or know the best place to tap in but i guess it doesnt matter where

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That sucks! The cheap places have them for about $3/10 - which I'm sure you've seen. The problem is that most hobby places use bullet connectors unlike any I've ever seen used for stereo or motorcycle uses. Those you get for $12/100!!!!

The motors should have them already, no? So you need the 3x4 female on the ESCs, then it depends on how you are connecting to the power supply. If you got a pre-built board, that should have the female bullets on there too, so you just need 2x4 male.

As far as the power to the board, most people use the power from one ESC to do that. so it runs through the servo type connector off the ESC. Is THIS what you're looking for?

coreyperez

Not that it helps right now, but this is what I'm getting ready to buy from Ebay. I've deduced that hobby stores serve only one purpose... RIP US OFF!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231123501503

My immediate solution (if in your case) would be to hard-solder them all together and order the bulk connectors. Then when they come in, (or next time you need tear-down) put on your bulk connectors.

Corey

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Corey is right. There's your solution! Hard wire the majority of it ( I would buy a few sets for the motor side).

The he prices at hobby king and a few other places seem to be decent for these types of things - you just have to wait. It seems the local hobby shops may be a rip off. But I can't say for sure since the only thing I've been able to buy at mine after MANY stops in is CA. I'm sure if he had multirotor parts they'd be pricey :)

coreyperez

Let me pull the standard "in the public spotlight" statement...

"I didn't fully think my response through. I apologize for my statement..."

I'm not advocating not buying from a local-yokel/US brick and mortar store, while paying US dollars to China... I'm not saying that.

What I'm SAYING is... Hobby stores seem to SIGNIFICANTLY overprice their stuff. Just because they think they can. For instance, I purchased a bunch of bullet connectors (x packs of 4 pairs when I got my F550. In retrospect, I could have gotten the huge group of them else by purchasing in bulk for less than I paid for the 12. It all comes down to pre-planning.

For instance, With my last Ebay order I was able to purchase (all are a "pair"):

x10 3s-4 Pin JST-XH balance connectors
x10 4s-5 Pin JST-XH balance connectors
x5 M/F 5mm bullet connectors (Battery)
x15 M/F 4mm bullet connectors (Battery)
x20 M/F Apex XT60 connectors (Battery)
x50 M/F 3.5mm bullet connector (Motor/ESC)
6' of 14ga Silicone (Black/Red) wire

All this for under $100 shipped. Sounds like a lot huh? Now consider sitting at home, and realizing you lost or are short a single connector. Now you have to run out and purchase a single pair (etc) for 7.99 locally. Factor in fuel, etc. I'd rather spend that money on some other upgrades. One thing I've learned about RCs is when you identify you need something, purchase it in bulk, and hopefully BEFORE you actually need it. Those 12 bullet connectors I paid "Hobby Store Prices... Cost me nearly $30...) Annother annoyance, when I ordered my F550 they wanted 1' of 10ga "silicone" wire for $10... 10$ A FOOT!!!!!!! I pay (because I buy in bulk) 10$ a foot of SINGLE OUGHT WELDING CABLE!!!!!!! Once again... Because they can.

I love realizing I need something or a friend calls up asking if I have it, and I walk over to a bulk pile I've got pre-sorted in a tackle box and grab what I need. If a friend needed it, the look on their face almost makes it worth while. Plus, you can offer them a discount from what "retail" is, and you are still making money!

Keep in mind, all this stuff that you can buy in bulk, THEY buy in bulk and just put their sticker on it. I'd rather keep my money in my bank. When I came to Korea I didn't plan on getting involved in this (actually had never heard of it before!). I only had a few surface RC supplies (and this isn't really even all of it).

The take-away from this is RC hobbies are really only "expensive" because of OUR habits. Think cradle to grave on this. RC hobbies typically attract us as a child, we don't have the money to do it "right". We nickel and dime OURSELVES and learn these bad habits from the beginning. Now as we have grown older we have "accepted" this practice and the prices associated and just chalk it up to being "an expensive hobby". My wife also doesn't understand how many time Ive gone to a box and pulled out "an expensive piece" that was only expensive because the initial one was purchased at Joe-blow's hobby store".

Hobby stores: Ever notice how many wrecked cars they have lying around on the floors, etc? Somebody paid for those... You did...

Buy in bulk and this will allow you to have more "quality" RC products.

OH, additional lesson... I also recommend buying x2 of the kits you opt to get (as I did with my F550 and the Honey Badger I just purchased, (well.. I got x4 extra honey badger arms...)). When you put a bottom line on the total replacement parts you will purchase over the life of your hobby. The additional kit will save you exponentially over buying the replacement pieces (as they are needed).

Pass this info on to your children!

Corey

Attachments

• 20140119_142009_resized.jpg
    20140119_142009_resized.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 176
  • 20140119_142041_resized.jpg
    20140119_142041_resized.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 167
  • 20140119_142233_resized.jpg
    20140119_142233_resized.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 170

ya i agree. i went to the local store and i think the new guy charged me wrong, still a rip but i got like 23 or something connectors for $16

now that i soldered them all on i realize i should have just shortned the wires lol

the wiring im confused about still is the reciever to board, and how i power the reciever and board. pretty sure the 3 pin connectors from the ESCs go to the pins on the right side of the board starting front left going clock wise, but where am i getting power for the reciever and flight control it self? or maybe i am confused on the wiring

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
7808, no harm in leaving the wires a little longer at first - just to make sure everything is in a comfortable place. Although it would be a pain to take them off and desolder and redo it - at least you'll know they're in the right place.

Corey,

I think you're supposed to say "End Rant..." at the end of that :)

Seriously though, it's understandable for the prices to be a bit more - but some of these places seem to go WAY over the top in terms of markup. But it seems to me that the few hobby stores I've been too (very new to the hobby) are a bit stuck in the past - and don't fully grasp the effect the Internet has (and will increasingly have) on their business. It's like the record industry not accepting that iTunes changed their world. Old ways of thinking are hard to break.

jbrumberg

7808- oddcopter.com is a build guide for what I have. It has some really good pictures of how to set up the basic wiring for the Rx to the K2 board as well as from the ESC's to the KK2 board with components similar to yours. Other than the frame everything you have matches up closely I believe. The board itself is powered from the motor #1 ESC BEC. The other ESC's have no influence on the boards power. On the other (left) side the AIL powers the Rx. Now they do not tell you this. All those nice servo wires. They really only can be inserted in one way on the KK boards so when one sees these pictures of the normal servo cable going into the AIL pins and then one sees another (one) servo cable placed perpendicularly to the AIL servo cable and going into the remaining ELE, THRO, RUDD, and GEAR pins- I do not know how they did that without bending pins. I had to use a servo cable for each channel. I will post a picture, but I do not think that it will help.

Hang in there, but check out that build, it may help.

Jay

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The photo HERE may be better than the last one I linked to. Jay is right - the oddcopter build is extremely helpful. My quad is nothing like the one he builds, and it was still helpful to me.

• You connect the outputs from the Rx to your board - these correspond to the channels the way the Tx is set up. The Tx will send control signal to the Rx (ie. Ail=channel 1, Elev= channel 2...)
  • The ESCs connect to the corresponding motor pins/channels on the board (motor1, motor 2...). The FC will get power from one of the ESCs (read up on removing the power and ground wires from the additional 3 ESCs to prevent redundancy - not required but may feel is beneficial).

That setup will result in: power from battery goes to power distro board (or custom harness), power from PDB goes to ESCs, power sent back to FC through ESC, Rx signal output sent to FC, FC sends signal to ESC through the servo lines.

Hope that makes sense and doesn't confuse you more :)

thanks for the help guys. i have the motors, esc's, and battery wired up, i have the ESCs connected to the kk board, last night i figured out that the board is powerd by the ESC, and i cut and solder in 2 small wires off my power distribution harness so my KK board can monitor voltage.

where i am stuck on the whole build is the reciever to kk board wiring. i've found 10 pictures like the ones you guys posted, i still dont actually understand which one of those is ch1 ch2 ch3 etc lol or what to connect the BATT pins too on my (HK 6ch) reciever.

also stuck on mounting the props, none of the rings that came with my slow flyprops seem to be the correct ones for my motor shaft/prop combo. there is some that ALMOST fit but i would have to really push them hard onto the shafts or drill them out a little

View attachment 15741

Attachments

• CAM01642.jpg
    CAM01642.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 335

jbrumberg

7808- Great progress now that you got your stuff. :) I do not like the looseness of those collet rings supplied with the props either. I chose the least loose, and I was careful as possible to tighten the props down centered by "feel". It shows as the props rev up if they are not close on center. This is on my "to be changed" list.

I took another picture of my Rx (which is similar to yours) and one of a note I took for the board. Channel 1- AILE, 2- ELE, 3- THRO, 4- RUDD, 5- GEAR (Activate Self Level) It may be called something else. The signal pins are closest in. The - pin is on the outside pin.

I hope this helps.

Nothing is helping the Patriots. I can't watch.

PS: The orange wire is the signal wire.

Attachments

• HAL Rx Wiring 004.jpg
    HAL Rx Wiring 004.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 188

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Nice work Jay. 7808 - just plug the RX in exactly as Jay describes (you will need to make sure your transmitter has the channels assigned as jay lays them out, but they already should be since it's standard) - you'll be halfway there. You may have to reverse the throttle channel (often they are full throttle when stick is down). Then you just need to connect the ESCs to the other side (motors 1-4 which will have to be matched to the X-Quad configuration) and you're golden.

You might be able to carefully file/sand the prop size adapter??? Mine are a bit loose as well.

Jay, I just had to give my girlfriend the "based on how many players they lost, they did pretty well speech." She's a psycho Pats fan. I was hoping she'd see a good season since we moved back to Pats country from Brooklyn , where she was surrounded by Jets fans :)

that so far is the only thing ive seen that made any sense lol thank you

maybe some one can connect the lines on this picture so others will find it and it will be easy

also my tx is mode 2 throttle on left if that matters

Attachments

• xcopter6chkk.jpg
    xcopter6chkk.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 156

jbrumberg

I really do not like the way those collet ring things fit, but they seem to work ok. My wife is a much bigger sports fan than I. I can waste my time and energy more productively.

7808- All my signal pins are connected to the orange wires. I did this to help me keep everything consistent.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You should make a chart. You need to chart the channels from your TX (therefore the outputs of the RX) to the channels on the KK2. Match the aileron, elevat, throttle, rudder from the RX channels to the KK2 on Jays diagram (which matches the photo I linked to).

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I really do not like the way those collet ring things fit, but they seem to work ok. My wife is a much bigger sports fan than I. I can waste my time and energy more productively.

I am not a sports fan at all - but the lady... Watch out! Needless to say, she is NOT happy right now.