Panasonic 14-42 feather weight lens on GH3

kloner

Aerial DP
I do cameras as a hobby, gotta hire them to run my biz so i don't doubt your not super smart and you can't fool folks, but pulling focus with follow iris zooms is kinda the angle were heading, feature stuff.... i'm just a pilot that can build his own stuff and keep it up there... put it where they want, etc....

none the less, i'll go do a test cause i've been wanting to and i'll make it like a demo clip crossing across the diff lenses with the same shot.... got 6 of them to go through, curious myself

Quinton

I do cameras as a hobby, gotta hire them to run my biz so i don't doubt your not super smart and you can't fool folks, but pulling focus with follow iris zooms is kinda the angle were heading, feature stuff.... i'm just a pilot that can build his own stuff and keep it up there... put it where they want, etc....

none the less, i'll go do a test cause i've been wanting to and i'll make it like a demo clip crossing across the diff lenses with the same shot.... got 6 of them to go through, curious myself

Really look forward to that too. I'm certainly not super smart, never mind even smart, but I like to test things instead on relying on what other people say.
Now if I can just get DJI to fix their crappy Zenmuse firmware, and the rain would stop here, I may be able to test a bit myself in the air.

kloner

Aerial DP
we will offer a gimbal in the next 6 months that'll carry a gh3 to epic any glass and is affordable.... That's where we shine, we all engineer..... I'm dying to announce it and share the footage

kloner

Aerial DP
Those lens snobs are the people that direct commercials we all watch prime time like att&t, Nike, Toyota. Feature producers i'm scared to mention in public, none the less, there aloud i guess, there work is astonishing

the gh4 is all lined up, we have a beautiful disabled yoga instructor meeting us out in my desert spot Painted Gorge this weekend. We will put the lenses through the paces and attempt to keep track of it all.... sucks cause the lens doesn't talk to teh body so the info isn't recorded. we will see what the 4k and lens quality does from lumix, rokinon and voightlander.... colorful rocks with a really pretty gal, this ought to be fun, it's a blog demo that'll be published really fast to the best of my knowledge, it corresponds with the cameras release

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I lived in Portugal for 12 years - moved back here to UK a year ago. I'm designing the next generation of AP gear (modest, huh?) - couldn't get the engineering support I needed in Portugal.

Jes where u based? what FC.. have you looked at everything signal master can do? like hot swap pilots!

D

jes1111

I'm in Weston-super-Mare (SW from Bristol). Yep - seen the Signal Master and the rest of John's stuff. Very interested. I've already contacted John but I'm not in a hurry - currently still working on mechanical components.

kloner

Aerial DP
the only thing that i'd mention if you missed was the one poster mentioning it's not sealed,,,, to me that makes it unflyable unless you like replacing sensors..... that's how the nex5 is, horrible. We burned through sensors left and right flying dirty areas all the time, ruined more footage

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I dont hink I own a sealed lens.. Dont forget Kloner Me in Britain.. You in desert. We haven't had dust problems over here for years!. :black_eyed:

kloner

Aerial DP
if you own any other lumix lens, canon lens, anything except nex series lens your dealing with sealed lenses...... We just had boltzman return from phillipines on a beach, i know theres more than one clip in the reel with dust on the sensor and he was int he middle of the ocean... just sayin, even flying off tables we get dirt in everything, especially mirrorless sensors if the lens isn't sealed

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
if you own any other lumix lens, canon lens, anything except nex series lens your dealing with sealed lenses...... We just had boltzman return from phillipines on a beach, i know theres more than one clip in the reel with dust on the sensor and he was int he middle of the ocean... just sayin, even flying off tables we get dirt in everything, especially mirrorless sensors if the lens isn't sealed

Great tip buddy... I had issues an age ago with my Nex5 thats why I started flying off tables.
D

Quinton

The only Canon lenses that are sealed are the L series ones, which are expensive, and heavy (except for the 85MM 1.2 one), which needs a lens filter to be sealed.
I would say go for the 20mm 1.7 lens Dave, over the 14-42, then when you can afford it go for the 12-35.
Ill send you over the 25mm so you can have a play with that to compare.

jes1111

Not all the L lenses are effectively sealed - I have a 28-300L (way too big to fly, of course): it's a push-pull zoom so it vacuums up dust every time you zoom out and then blows it onto the mirror and sensor when you zoom back in :(

kloner

Aerial DP
all the lumix and m43 glass i have is sealed, at least dust proof, whatever, There hasn't been dust on footage since we changed up. if i ever came across one not, i'd walk..... i love the voigtlander, it is really nice glass..... beats the lumix stuff i got that's the same price for what were doing. makes the footage look like it came from a different body.

Voigtlander's Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 Lens for Micro 4/3 Cameras is a breathtaking wide-angle lens that combines an extraordinary maximum aperture of f/0.95 with a superb 10-blade diaphragm for magnificent low-light/shallow depth-of-field images--photographs or video. A selective aperture control system allows a continuous and soundless change of the aperture (and depth-of-field as well, of course). This manual focus lens (equivalent to a 35mm lens on a full-frame camera) focuses down to a very close 5.9". The Nokton 17.5mm f/0.95 is destined to become the standard wide-angle, low-light, shallow depth-of-field lens for Micro 4/3 camera users. It's ready for its close-up.Exceptionally fast f/0.95 wide-angle lens (35mm equivalent) for Micro 4/3 camerasContinuous and soundless change of the aperture (and depth of field) is possible with selective aperture control systemVery close-focusing lens--5.9"Aspherical lens elements provide crisp imagesDiaphragm has 10 blades, producing outstanding, beautiful bokeh in the out-of-focus areas of your images

Performance
Focal Length17.5mm
Comparable Four Thirds and Micro 4/3 Focal Length: 35 mm
ApertureMaximum: f/1.0
Minimum: f/16.0
Camera Mount TypeMicro Four Thirds
Format CompatibilityMicro Four Thirds
Angle of View64.6°
Minimum Focus Distance5.9" (14.99 cm)
Maximum Reproduction Ratio1:4
Elements/Groups13/9
Diaphragm Blades10
Features
Image StabilizationNo
AutofocusNo
Tripod CollarNo
Physical
Filter ThreadFront:58 mm
Dimensions (DxL)Approx. 2.50 x 3.15" (63.4 x 80 mm)
Weight19.05 oz (540 g)

Quinton

Yes that's a great lens...but Voigtlander 540g lumix 20mm 100g, I have a feeling this may be better for him at this time also including the price.
Of course the heavier lens is better, but there are a few things to consider £600 and 440g being 2 of them..

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Its not just for video. I do other stuff and fight times are required to be as long as possible so weight really counts.

D