Tau Labs OpenPilot TV Episode 1

dankers

I made a few mistakes, but it was all done in one take and a bit of fun.

I grab a CopterControl, take it out of the packet and show how to easy it is to set up and get it flying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Dankers.. Thats the doggers bollocks... and the only reason for that profanity being allowed is coz I am a moderator and I can.. Viewers at home dont try it...

BRILLIANT!

Thanks to all the OP peeps on here for sharing.. now wheres my postman!

dave (not OP Dave just plain old dave)

Macsgrafs

Thats a wicked bit of kit you have there, I was trying to look at the drop down menus for an octocopter setting ;)

Ross

Ross, the OpenPilot mainboard supports Octos out the box but is coming soon... It has flown and is being ever developed. You will see that things like magic waypoint are working and a few other bits and bobs.

There is no hurry in the project as we get stuff out right.

CopterControl is our easy to use no fuss platform that just works.

We have taken our time on this to make sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sebbie

I think its the dogs under carriage, very well done and 11 min in air with the minor mix up, shows the Open pilot project is for normal people. :)

Well done cant wait for ep 2 , thanks a lot :)

dankers

With CC we had to draw the line somewhere and we decided to stop with Hexas. Saying that it can support Octos if you want to mess around with I2C ESCs, so yes it is possible but it involves more work and not really tested well. Its the support issues that also concern us, if we get too complex too quickly and claim to much its not fair on people and could lead to false impressions.

Don't know about you guys but, how many times have you seen new things that claim to do X, Y & Z only to see the small print that they are just a planned feature? We don't need or want to behave like that.

Also, we are still testing Helis, that is going well and then we have some fixed wing UAVs flying guidance as well, all with CC.

We will refine the set up as well to streamline it I already have some ideas to make the GCS a little smoother and a bit nicer looking.

dankers

I think its the dogs under carriage, very well done and 11 min in air with the minor mix up, shows the Open pilot project is for normal people. :)

Well done cant wait for ep 2 , thanks a lot :)

I am very interested to see videos of it done faster! I was fumbling and trying to talk etc, I wonder how fast it could be done from a blank board (you can erase all settings from the GCS), starting with a mounted board and then start the timer just before you upload new firmware. I think someone could beat my time easily.

I really hope Episode 2 can be about PID tuning but I need to convince James to do that one.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ill take that as Gauntlet thrown.. Sebbie over to you!.. I did have an Idea of filming my doggers taking the packet off the postman, giving it me (as they love to do) me then opening it, plugging it in and away we go!

We'll see.

Sorry but again P guys thanks for frankly being open on this here..

Dave.. sorry not to confuse.. Droider

Macsgrafs

Ross, the OpenPilot mainboard supports Octos out the box but is coming soon... It has flown and is being ever developed. You will see that things like magic waypoint are working and a few other bits and bobs.

There is no hurry in the project as we get stuff out right.

CopterControl is our easy to use no fuss platform that just works.

We have taken our time on this to make sure.

Nice one Gary, I get so confused with what FC board does what, they are all starting to sound the same :)
magic waypoint...will it work for distances over 250mtrs?
Maybe one of you nice gents can tell me what I need now, I have 8 x motors & a I2C - PWM contol board on the way.

Ross

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
OP guys,
where would a guy present an idea for a feature? specifically, i have an idea for a progressive power manager for descents. as it is, all the motors spool down for descents and it allows for wobbles and some loss of control. could something be programmed for an Okto say where four motors intially power down for a descent before the other four start to reduce power? this way we'd still have four props loaded up and keeping things stable while the other four spool down and allows a descent to start. i've noticed in video that descents are much more wobbly than other flying sequences and thought maybe this would help.
thanks,
bart

OP guys,
where would a guy present an idea for a feature? specifically, i have an idea for a progressive power manager for descents. as it is, all the motors spool down for descents and it allows for wobbles and some loss of control. could something be programmed for an Okto say where four motors intially power down for a descent before the other four start to reduce power? this way we'd still have four props loaded up and keeping things stable while the other four spool down and allows a descent to start. i've noticed in video that descents are much more wobbly than other flying sequences and thought maybe this would help.
thanks,
bart

The best place would be on our forums if you want to get a dev to notice.

I'll warn you in advance I tend to say NO to almost all new features. This is not because they wouldn't be useful for some people, but one of our greatest strengths is our software architecture. A lot of features people want are very specific (for example in this case octocopters) and can't be implemented in a general way. Because our software supports helis, multirotors, planes not just on CopterControl but also the Pro (separate INS and controller) platform I'm VERY hesitant to add features like this because if we did for everything we'd end up with spaghetti code.

Our shorter term plan for things like this was switching to git for our code management which makes it very easy for people to branch and add little features (knowing they won't go back into master for now unless a TON of people use them). For example there is a branch that gets fixed wing to circle a GPS coordinate.

In the longer term we also plan to add scripting capabilities, so you will be able to upload code that will change some behaviors (at your own risk :))