Not exactly a multi-rotor build

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I had the idea that it might be fun to take my multi-rotors around to area flying clubs to show what multi-rotor helicopters are and what they can do. At about the same time I was looking at an old 88" Laser 200 model that needed to be stripped and recovered.
Before long the Laser project became part of the multi-rotor effort and was going to be a site mascot of sorts until a slightly better plane came along.
The plane that took the Laser's place is a Lanier Edge 540T with a 90" wingspan and a 62cc gas engine. I paid $100 (!!!) for it because it needed a lot of work but overall it was worth the money. The plan was to bring the plane and the multi-rotors to area clubs and even to fly a couple of local IMAC aerobatic contests with it. It's taken me much longer to get my planes sorted out this season and so the big Edge project is behind schedule but it's nearly done and ready to fly.
The plane doesn't have any formal sponsors other than me but the stickers were added because a few people out there were generous enough to send me free stickers when I told them what I was up to. This year is sort of a test run. If the plane gets peoples' attention and turns people on to multi-rotors then I'll definitely campaign it more vigorously next year. This year though I'll be lucky if I make a couple of contests and visit with a few local clubs. I even thought I might make the Joe Nall event this year but didn't even come close to being ready for it.

Here are the pics. I'm not a graphics artist so it's a bit of a hodge-podge but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. The original yellow and white scheme was how it came from the factory in Mexico some 10 to 12 (or more) years ago. I'll probably repaint the cowl to make the red match the fuselage better.

Next up: Converting an XAircraft X650 to CopterControl and finishing the new Droidworx AD-8HLE Okto!

Attachments

• IMG_6528.jpg
    IMG_6528.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_6530.jpg
    IMG_6530.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_6526.jpg
    IMG_6526.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_6523.jpg
    IMG_6523.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_4137_small.jpg
    IMG_4137_small.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 320

Bartman

thanks guys. i really can't wait to fly it and get the kinks worked out. after that it'll be ready for some flying videos with the multi-rotors.
bart

Bartman

First flight was today and it did as well as could be expected after a major rebuild. With one flight down and a short punchlist of items to fix I'm really looking forward to getting it back out there tomorrow or Wednesday. Then comes the good stuff!!!!!:cool:
Bart

Attachments

• IMG_6614_small.jpg
    IMG_6614_small.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_6616_small.jpg
    IMG_6616_small.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 265

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Nice one Bart.. u towing a banner there as well! ;-)

Thought you would have brought something back from Disney to put in the cockpit!.. Super Ted just seen it and he reckons he could handle the bird, he just brought me his luxury padded envelope over!

DAve

Bartman

Dave, I would be honored to have Ted ride in her. unless of course Ted prefers to ride on her, I can arrange that too! ;)
I'm hoping to get back out tomorrow after making some fixes tonight.
Bart

Bartman

the original plan was to have a pilot with servos wires coming out of his temples and going into a flight control looking thing in the cockpit. time is a rare commodity though right now so i just wanted to get it flying and figure i'll tweak things over the winter. i don't like how the cowling came out so that'll get redone sometime in the future.
bart

Emowillcox

Nice looking plane and great idea how to get some exposure. You got her done just in time to take her to the U.S. Nationals