Newbie DJI F450 Build

ITechie

@Kloner
So you got 1 mile out with an 8J just using it's own radio on 2.4?...thats awfully good :nevreness: That will let me try FPV out pretty good before going to EZUHF
I like the idea of ratcheted throttle but...Is it the airplane Mode 1 model of 8J you have? Can that one be setup to work like mode 2 so sticks work like Heli (throttle on left) or do you have to mentally adjust to mode 1 type setup?

kloner

Aerial DP
the 8j has mode 1-4 built in but you'd have to move the ratchet part to change it from mode 2 it comes. yea, bone stock parts but i made an antenna mount like an ezuhf looking thing, 90 degree apart, 2 plains. airplane version = ratchet. i like that better than smooth

Des, come my way sometime. This spot i was at today is Ocotillo wells, another hour east is Yuma. the place at the river is I-10 and the border/river... that's 3 hours from my house, about the same from phoenix.

Your not all the way out like tuscon are ya?

DesJardins

Des, come my way sometime. This spot i was at today is Ocotillo wells, another hour east is Yuma. the place at the river is I-10 and the border/river... that's 3 hours from my house, about the same from phoenix.

Your not all the way out like tuscon are ya?

That would be awesome and the weather is finally getting better too!
It's about a 4 & 1/2 hour drive from where I'm at in AZ.

Not that bad!

kloner

Aerial DP
your welcome to stay the night to make at least a few great times to fly...... Mine practicaly fly themselves, your welcome to grab hold of the bull and kick em good

jabba

Howdy all....next installment in the saga! Package arrived this morning with the DX6. Interestingly the NAZA GPS module was not included (never buying from that supplier again :( ).....so while I go back and try to get my GPS sent on, thought I may as well play around.

Frustratingly, didn't get very var! RX connected up fine (had to file down the little tabs in the NAZA wires to get them to plug into the AR6210 RX. Then went to bind the TX/RX and realise the that bind plug was not in the box. Me thinks the supplier has either taken it out of the box for someone else or I have been given a second hand one....GRR!...

So, fashion a bind plug myself and successfully complete the binding. Power up and connect to the PC for tweaking with the NAZA software and I am greeted with this!

Did some quick googling to try to figure out the problem and nothing there other than check all wires and connections.....which I have done and all appears in order. Have to go to work now, so would appreciate any pointers for when my efforts resume later!

Considering my experiences with the supplier, the SN-ERR seems a bit fishy?

Cheers,
Jabba

Attachments

• errors.jpg
    errors.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 367

jabba

False alarm, did some more playing around and it actually corrects itself once you go through the calibration procedure and write the changes. Pretty weird set of error messages to display....would likely make a lot more sense to have a more meaningful message!!
Updates to follow....

jabba

False alarm, did some more playing around and it actually corrects itself once you go through the calibration procedure and write the changes. Pretty weird set of error messages to display....would likely make a lot more sense to have a more meaningful message!!
Updates to follow....

All, am nearly fully up and running now. Dis-assembled everything that tidied up all of the wiring / checked everything. All looks and performs good now. It has been raining here all day, so have become an expert at flying inside in a 10x10 room (which now probably needs to be re-painted!).

Cannot complete the setup until the GPS and new DX8 arrives. Hopefully should be later this week.

When I have everything complete, I will write up a full procedure based on my experience.

Thanks everyone for your patience and help! I am now an adict!

When funds permit....next purchase will be GoPro, FPV, better props, landing gear...etc.....jeez, this is going to get expensive!!

Cheers,
Jabba

gencode

Personally I have a gopro that I bought for doing this, but fisheye is horrid, you can do the narrow view in the gopro2 to take most of it out.
I have since switched to a panasonic DMC-TS4A, it has no or extremely little fisheye, water proof, shock resistant etc, its hi def, it does time lapse photos (only every minutes, would be nice for every second)

It also has a GPS built in, I think you can record your flight path, it also will tag your photo locations, the gopro wont.

For the videos I really like it a lot better, not to mention you can use it as a regular camera

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-TS4A

You can get it on amazon for $254

Here is a video all taken from that camera

All, am nearly fully up and running now. Dis-assembled everything that tidied up all of the wiring / checked everything. All looks and performs good now. It has been raining here all day, so have become an expert at flying inside in a 10x10 room (which now probably needs to be re-painted!).

Cannot complete the setup until the GPS and new DX8 arrives. Hopefully should be later this week.

When I have everything complete, I will write up a full procedure based on my experience.

Thanks everyone for your patience and help! I am now an adict!

When funds permit....next purchase will be GoPro, FPV, better props, landing gear...etc.....jeez, this is going to get expensive!!

Cheers,
Jabba

Last edited by a moderator:

gencode

The GPS may be pics only, not sure have not played with all the features

Last edited by a moderator:

jabba

Personally I have a gopro that I bought for doing this, but fisheye is horrid, you can do the narrow view in the gopro2 to take most of it out.
I have since switched to a panasonic DMC-TS4A, it has no or extremely little fisheye, water proof, shock resistant etc, its hi def, it does time lapse photos (only every minutes, would be nice for every second)

Hi,

Thats some very good feedback indeed. Can you tell me a little more about your setup and mount for the F450 and this camera? Did you go with a gimble? Can you trigger the camera remotely to record/take a picture or do you just kick it off before you fly!

Thanks,
Jabba

gencode

Kick off before you fly, I used the GAUI Crane 2 Gimbal

Hi,

Thats some very good feedback indeed. Can you tell me a little more about your setup and mount for the F450 and this camera? Did you go with a gimble? Can you trigger the camera remotely to record/take a picture or do you just kick it off before you fly!

Thanks,
Jabba

gencode

Yep, works great, comes with all you need except longer legs and the hardware to attach
I used a plastic plate and 2 sided tape to the bottom, worked out well
Does the GAUI Crane 2 Gimbal work with the Naza? It comes with the servos right?

jakee

Hi can u help me out i am new to this platform want to build my own quadcopter so this all things i guess would be going in my build. 1) dji f450 kit 305 propulsion system. 2) turnigy 9xr( as controller and reciever). 3) naze 32 acro as flight controller thats all with some zipties, blue locktight,double side sticky tapes,some servo cables,heatshrink. So this is all i need right to build one with a battery and a charger obviously... So all the things should work fine right? Any sujjestion that u would lile to give me? Thank you in advance!!

jakee

Hi can u help me out i am new to this platform want to build my own quadcopter so this all things i guess would be going in my build. 1) dji f450 kit 305 propulsion system. 2) turnigy 9xr( as controller and reciever). 3) naze 32 acro as flight controller thats all with some zipties, blue locktight,double side sticky tapes,some servo cables,heatshrink. So this is all i need right to build one with a battery and a charger obviously... So all the things should work fine right? Any sujjestion that u would lile to give me? Thank you in advance!! And i am even thinking of buying a gimbal for my xiaomi sports cam which is slightly larger than go pro there is no option of h33d for me do u know any gimbal which is nice but also less pricey because yeah i am on a bugget build...thanks agn for helping me out!!!