Newbie DJI F450 Build

kloner

Aerial DP
if a receiver has programeable failsafes, you just remove the bind plug after booting the rx, but before booting the tx during binding

if it's programeable throttle only, i'd look at what happens to the flight mode after setting up the model but while inside assistant. For all i know the center that the ar6 goes to might hit failsafe on it's own and not need squat. look at the bottom edge of the screen with the radio turned off and it'll say manual, atti, gps+atti or failsafe in text, not the blue bars/light above it

DesJardins

Tahoe Ed helped clarify the Tx main point of having the actual pre-set option but...

"
I have several of the AR7010's with satellite. I have set them up for preset failsafe with a Dx7s, Dx8 and JR 9503. I don't think the Tx matters the settings are saved in the Rx. You should be able to use the Dx6 without any problems. I will say with only 6 channels you will not be able to use all the capabilities of the Naza with GPS. That takes 7.
"
Even though the receivers have a capability your still limited in channels to a certain degree with the Tx

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
the failsafe being stored in the rx happens on all of em, it's how when it looses talks with the tx it knows what to do. futaba, jr, spektrum, ezuhf, dragonlink, rangelink, they all have it like that, but each of em has a different way to write it to the rx. spektrum/jr is the worst with the bind procedure. futaba has a window in the tx menu you adjust what you want where and it's always saved, change on the fly if you want. the uhf's have a button you push for so many seconds and it saves it however it is transmitting at the moment it's pushed. super easy to program the dji FS with

DesJardins

Yea the Spektrum way wasn't the easiest to connect the dots on but once learned it's ok. LOL

Initiate the bind process and pull the bind plug once the rx's start blinking vs. leaving it in for the process is the difference between pre-set & last position fail safe on Spektrum

gencode

Thanks Des, ill try to get AR7010 and try tonight if I can get it local, I have not tried that on the 6200 but its worth testing.

Yea the Spektrum way wasn't the easiest to connect the dots on but once learned it's ok. LOL

Initiate the bind process and pull the bind plug once the rx's start blinking vs. leaving it in for the process is the difference between pre-set & last position fail safe on Spektrum

DesJardins

Anytime, of you need more help I'm always willing to do a phone walk trough with people while I'm in front of my PC to make sure it's reading correct on the assistant also as that verification step is so important!

jabba

Guys,

Thanks so much for all of the useful tips and information. My kit hasnt arrived yet, but am hoping that it should be here in time for the weekend!
By all accounts, it sounds like I should have splurged a bit more for a better reciever/transmitter. Doh! Newbie mistake. Keep an eye on eBay, there may be a DX6 kit for sale soon :)

I do have the NAZA GPS module, presume that doesnt offer me anything additional in terms of failsafe to counteract or partially counteract buying the wrong rx/tx?

Naturally, I will report back on progress / experience when build complete. However, am guessing that I might have a number of new threads / questions when it comes to the failsafe and configuration of the software options!

Cheers,
Jabba

kloner

Aerial DP
I do have the NAZA GPS module, presume that doesnt offer me anything additional in terms of failsafe to counteract or partially counteract buying the wrong rx/tx?

opposite, you bought this cool failsafe feature in an auto pilot flight controller and no way to engage it when you need it,,,,,, when the thing looses signal.

just get a new rx, ar7000 or higher....

gencode

You can set up manual throw into failsafe and still have GPS/Alt using mixing, so if you get where you cant see it or maybe flying by FPV and FPV goes out you can engage it shown here, but wont help in the event of a Tx signal loss

"Mixed the Mix/Throttle hold switch to the Gear channel. Here are the settings I used. Here is what I did...i have my atti/manual on the gear switch...then what i did was use mix 1
set Gear-Gear. Then set the SW to what ever switch you would like...I set mine to the Mix/throttle hold switch
Next you need to dial in the rates D and U until the slider in the assistant goes to failsafe...mine are at -50%"

EEkkk.....ok!

cpmboy

Guys,

Thanks so much for all of the useful tips and information. My kit hasnt arrived yet, but am hoping that it should be here in time for the weekend!
By all accounts, it sounds like I should have splurged a bit more for a better reciever/transmitter. Doh! Newbie mistake. Keep an eye on eBay, there may be a DX6 kit for sale soon :)

Naturally, I will report back on progress / experience when build complete. However, am guessing that I might have a number of new threads / questions when it comes to the failsafe and configuration of the software options!

Cheers,
Jabba
will be waiting....

gencode

Jabba,
I just changed my DX6 for a DX8, it was pretty simple to set up the failsafe, also set the Aux2 3 way switch so i can change between gps/alt and if needed all the way down to force failsafe mode, and now if i turn off the tx it jumps to failsafe in the assistant, pretty cool.

Really with mixing and a 7000 receiver you could pretty much do the same.

EEkkk.....ok!

jabba

Whats worse than your kit not arriving in time for a weekend build?.....
It being dispatched in two packages and only one arriving in time for the weekend!!!!

GRRR!!!

jabba

Whats worse than your kit not arriving in time for a weekend build?.....
It being dispatched in two packages and only one arriving in time for the weekend!!!!

GRRR!!!

Okay guys, have decided to return the DX6 as soon as it arrives. Am planning on getting DX8 with AR8000. This seems to be one of the more popular choices that I have seen. That said, am I likely to buy this and then in a months time have someone telling me that I should have got a higher model coz the DX8 doesnt support X,Y or Z!

In terms of requirements, I dont really have any as yet. What I mean by that is I am learning and have big plans to do more and learn more! I could see myself with a camera attached and an FPV setup in the future. I could also see myself with "other" requirements (dont know what they are yet, but am sure I will think of cool things to do and try in due course!). All that said, am I likely to be reasonably safe getting the DX8 or more likely to find that I should have got something else in the future. Keen to hear from DX8 owners who wish they had got something bigger....and the reason why they now feel they need something bigger!!!

Thanks,
Jabba

PS - Still learning!

DesJardins

I enjoy my DX8 and it will do all the FPV flying with my GoPro mounted on the plate.
The only thing others have said is they love Futaba because of range being better.

The only reason I am not changing is because being my first MR and FPV flyer I don't need to toss in more $ for no reason when I know I'll probably be too chicken to fly farther than a quarter mile away or so while just enjoying it.

kloner

Aerial DP
I kinda went head over heals for fpv. wasn't my initial plans, but that's the way it happened. i started with a jr 11x. it is a modern jr offering with 11 channels, all the bells and whistles alot of it really nice. it was the third radio i've had in my life. When i got to the fpv part i was limited to 2200 feet and the dam thing failsafed like crazy out that far. was using an ar8000 rx, same one that comes with dx8 but i was on dsm2, not dsmx like now...... I got fed up and set that radio aside and bought the cheapest futaba they offer, 8j for $260 with an rx...... can get em on three pay at tower, great buy. That radio does a mile away all day long and when there out that far there totaly locked in. it uses fhss, same algorithym as the lrs uhf systems so it's better at distances. the one time i flew on was 1 mile out and never saw squat but what i was telling it to do. If it was me and i had nothing else yet, no doubt in my mind i'd get an 8j. the airplane one has a ratcheted throttle, nice for flying in atti and finding center throttle. there is a great dial on the middle easy to get to you can use for gain and it has 2 three way switches so everything has a spot. Probably the3 biggest difference you'll see is one wire from the receiver to the naza and it controlls everything. a spektrum rig will have 7 seperate wires to turn everything on...... sbus,,,,, and it sure makes things easy, clean, simple, less things to go wrong, on and on i can go......

6 months ago i was hoping to hit a mile,,,, today i flew 18,000 feet away from my self..... it was frigin awesome, on the deck too

DesJardins

Damn, and that's with an 8J!?

I guess a big difference is your FPV gear as well using duo Rx set-up with a Helical also

kloner

Aerial DP
18,000 feet was with ezuhf,,, that's another thing, the after market lrs systems like fuaba better. They have regular 5v ppm signal coming out the back,,, spektrum has DSC, PITA. it varies pulse width, changes voltages, widens the section it's sending then narrows it all again. weird crap comes out the trainer port on a spektrum

oh i had it all out today.... it was the zeph with a tracker and 12db gain crosshair. unreal clarity, i had the antenna forever, first time i broke it out..... cracked 3 miles 20-30 feet up