New to the game with ideas, but still some questions

savolion

Hi guys, have been doing my research and im starting to understand the fundmentals, However still a bit lost.

This is my parts list so far. What im looking to do is have my gopro attached, and then a little while later connect the go pro to some fatshark goggles for FPV. Mainly want the quad for stability and battery life, not so much aerobatics as i have some helis i can muck around with.

Frame: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...X650F_Glass_Fiber_Quadcopter_Frame_550mm.html

TX/RX: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_1_v2_Firmware_.html

Camera Gimble: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...s_Gimbal_With_Controller_And_Motors_AXN_.html

Flight controller im thinking: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ntrol_Board_With_6050MPU_And_Atmel_644PA.html

However i wanted something with altitude hold and pref Return to home, but is still easy to setup and program :/

As for the rest of it i am in the dark, not sure what KV motors are good, same with the esc, probs and batteries + whatever else i have forgotten

trix

Hello there savolion , welcome to the "headeache" of what is best to get :p

Let's see if i can help you with this after i just build my first two quads

As research has proven you would need to stay around the 1000 kv mark for the motors , so it depends on your budget and how much you are willing to spend witch motor you choose that fits.

For the esc's you have to know how much amps your motor draws and find a esc that can handle some more than that for safety reasons and not stressing your esc. One of the most common esc used are the hk f-30 flashed with simonk firmware ( firmware made especially for quads ).

You can flash them yourself or you have to look for other esc's with simonk already installed such as the afro esc's

For props it depends on wich motor you chose , the battery that you will use and the weight you want to lift . I think 10x4.5 will be fine on a 3s battery.

For batteries you will need to choose between 3s and 4s .

trix

I think 4s is the way to go since you plan on carrying a gimbal and fpvequipment and could ise that extra power.

You will also need some male to male servo connections to connect your rx to your fc .

You will have to buy or make a power distrubution board/squid to get power to all your esc's .

The kk2.1 will be fine for you for now to learn on (i have two of them on my 2 buildss.)

I would recommend you to get some of those cheap hk props to practice with adn then get some apc props because you "will" crash and those are cheaper to replace for practicing.

Search for the build log of motopreserve and watch his as be has the same frame as you.

trix

With the male to male servo connectors i mean these wires : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._10pcs_set_.html?strSearch=male to male servo

Those are to connect your rx ( receiver ) outputs to your fc ( flight controller ) inputs in this case the kk2.1 .

The specs of the multistar motors are rated till 3s and i don't know how well they perform .
For my first build i used thes motors : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=12921

And they work great , another option and what many people use are the sunnysky motors : http://www.ebay.com/itm/F03921-SUNN...Motor-980KV-Multi-rotor-Version-/350627656609

Search for them and you could get some cheaper sellers but most are asian sellers and this one is in the us .

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey there! Seems Trix has sent you my way :)

i would suggest you you find a different frame. Many of the HK frames are on the heavy side - and the x650f is VERY heavy. I have been wrestling the weight since I got it. If you want to fly a gimbal - you'll want to choose a frame that has available landing gear for clearance. Possibly the DJI flamewheel style?

The D2830-11 are pretty decent for the money. Sunnysky would be a step up. Keep in mind that when ordering the Turnigy products (maybe any products for a beginner) it's smart to order extras (for possible crash and bad quality control).

The F-30A ESCs are a good choice if you flash them. The tool is cheap from HK.

As as far as FC, the KK2.1 will get you airborne the quickest. If you want more features you'll need to either spend big bucks (Naza, SuperX etc) or go the cheaper multiwii route.

Welcome to the monkey house :)

jbrumberg

Welcome Savolion. I agree about the KK 2.0 and 2.1 FCB's with their OSD's are easier to set up and tune, but they are basic FC's. What version one gets is important as well with the KK2.0 board it is version 1.5 or 1.6 with the KK2.1 board it is my understanding that "KK Board 2.1 with Steveis's 1.12S1Beginner firmware" is the firmware to have. Post freely and often. :monkey:

savolion

Wowzer, so much replies since i went to bed :D Taking all the advice on board, Looking at different frames because your right that one is quite heavy, looking at the Q450 from HK, they have a integrated PCB version and a normal, is the integrated any use? or just more to break. Will come back with a revised shopping list :) Although there is a dealer in AUS that sells the actual Flamewheel with the DJI motors esc and props,just add your own extras, but its 400$ :/ sheesh

View attachment 16454

This is my current list, i think i want to go with the Naza M lite w/ GPS, have heard good things and it should do what i want. I obv need prop, batteries, charger and balancer.

Attachments

• 833ffa86300414c462a36445300b3ed2.png
    833ffa86300414c462a36445300b3ed2.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 369
Last edited by a moderator:

Gphotos

hey Savolion

i am just ahead of you i guess and starting to get some good results with a go pro hero 3, all about stability for me, i come from an RC background, but a semi pro photographer as well..i intend something bigger when i can trust myself to launch my EOS 5diii but for now my very capable training rig is as follows....cant recommend the Naza lite GPS enough, easy to use and steady as a rock...

These are the bulk of parts that i opted for, have left off the KK2.0 board that i initially used although it was actually pretty easy to configure and flew successfully , substituting the DJI Naza lite at £107 was a big step forward and really easy to use.

i also used www.quadcopters.co.uk and their site is pretty good as well.

for the 5.8ghz system i used a diversity screen and twin receiver combined from quadcopters and purchased the antenna and 600mW TX to suit from Hobby king as it was way cheaper and in stock..
legally the 600mW is way too powerful in UK but everyone is doing it….there are cheaper ones at lower power but the boscam one can work on all 32 of the 5.8ghz channels across four bands and my receiver can receive all as well.
The aerials allegedly improve the range and quality.

savolion

Thanks for the input, i feel like im getting pretty close, however im not sure on props to suit my motors, e calc says that with a 5000mah 4s 25c battery has enough power to supply my motors, and 8x4.5 props will get me in the air with 8 min flight, maths says my quad should weight between 1500 and 1800 grams with everything on board including gimble and go pro, however i did add a bit of weight just in case. Is that a normal weight for quads? or a bit heavy?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
See what 9" props can do for you. Weights can be all over the place. You just have to work with what you're lifting.

savolion

OKay, got a few props sorted, basic gimble and servos, and battery.

Semi final parts list - with the knowledge ill probably need to buy more once i start assembling.

9c407a695ee9669457b940b227ea7686.png

trix

Seems like it , remember you would need 4 mm heat shrink for the bullet connector cause 3mm will be to small .

If you are a diy type of guy you could also get the f-30 esc's and the flash tool and flash them yourself , it will cost roughly the same as the afro esc's cost now but later when you get " addicted " to your build and you will :p and want to build your second rig it will cost you less money cause then you buy only the esc's for $10 a piece and flash them with the latest simonk firmware .

Don't know what the carefree breakfree in your cart is but if it's not blue threadlocker get it .

savolion

Just ordered stuffs, split between US and AU warehouse, now to find a decent charger to go with it all since i couldnt fit one in on the US part of the order haha

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Were you able to find the parts from the list that are listed as on back order? That will crush you if you end up waiting forever for just a few parts. :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Just be careful with HK and how they handle their back orders. There are some nightmare stories of it taking more than 40 days just for them to finally admit they messed up. Unfortunately they have the most stuff - but their customer service can be outrageous.